Sunday, June 28, 2020

Weekly Log 22-Jun to 28-Jun-2020: Deerflies & Fun Runs

Monday:  0
Regular day off.

Tuesday:  6
Humid morning run in Burlingame Campground with Brady.  Really strange to go through the campground in late June and see it empty.  It did look like park rangers were getting it ready to reopen.

Wednesday:  10
Back to Burlingame, this time with Brady AND Matthew.  Warm and very humid.  CCW run of Vin Gormley Trail, swapping out campground road portion with the Burlingame Trail / NST.  Realizing streams are starting to dry up, especially as we haven't had rain in weeks now, I filled my CamelBak halfway and gave water to Brady twice en route.

Pesky deerflies chased and annoyed us several miles in.  Exiting onto Buckeye Brook Road for the short asphalt section, there must have been 20 of them swarming behind Matthew's head.  Unfortunately, the sun was NOT out so they continued to follow us, but oddly dissipated another mile or so into the woods.  More active near wet areas?

Finished up with a nice swim in Watchaug Pond (since dogs not allowed on beach, we swam at boat launch).


Post-run reward:  Dave's Coffee
DFK count:  8

Thursday:  6
Slept in, and missed my morning pre-work window.  Paid the price by running in the 80° midday heat, with a limited 1-hour window between meetings to get it done.  Solo local roads at about 7:30 pace.  Slathered with SPF30 sunscreen.

Post-run reward:  None.  I didn't deserve any with my laziness.
Return of the Fun Runs?  Not looking like this, but hopefully some variant.

Held a special WTAC board meeting to discuss the fate of the remaining five summer fun runs, starting July 8.  We had already cancelled the first five summer fun run weeks, as RI remains in Phase II with a maximum crowd gathering of 15.  But with that gathering limit set to expire and give way to 250, plus a number of local fun runs now resuming (Kelley's Pace Saturday runs, Groton Fun Runs approved by town to start next week), it was time to discuss again.  After protracted discussions on precautions we can take, new USATF COVID guidance, and RI state rules, we voted unanimously to proceed, with many restrictions, including unfortunately cancelling the kids' runs.  All this is subject to RI being in Phase III by July 8 and obtaining USATF sanctions and insurance, but it is good to see some running coming back.

Friday:  11
Morning low-tide beach run with Matthew and Brady.  This would mean 10+ miles with no water for Brady.  I wish he could talk and tell me if that's a problem or not, but I surmised correctly that he would be keeping himself cool by frequently jumping into the cold ocean water.  He seemed fine and very active the whole way.

I had him off-leash except a small section of town beach where tractors were raking the beach.  I was impressed that even when we encountered other dogs off-leash, I just told him sternly to stay with me and he ran right next to me, even when other dogs ran up to him.  That hasn't always been the case, so I'm encouraged by his obedience.  Dogs are allowed 24/7 on Westerly beaches in the off-season, but between Memorial Day and Labor Day it makes sense that their beach time is limited to 6pm to 8am.  We didn't quite make it off the beach by 8am, but no one voiced an objection and we were gone before beaches opened for the day.

Complete pea soup fog at start, but burning off at end.  Brady and I went in for a quick swim in the ocean at finish at Weekapaug Breachway.

Post-run rewards:  Iced coffee and breakfast sandwiches at the Weekapaug Innlet

Saturday:  8
Newest WTAC member Nick posted a Arcadia 10K challenge on Strava last week.  A few indicated that they would try it out.  Today I figured I would give it a go.

Arrived at Browning Mill Pond parking lot about 7:30 with my furry running partner, Brady.  Not many cars were there.  Fortunately, both of us got our daily constitutionals out of the way pre-run.  TMI?  Nick had posted very detailed course instructions, which I reviewed one final time and then took a screen-shot for needed reference:

Started on the dirt road, with a conservative estimate of where 200' beyond the fields was.  Took off fairly hard uphill on the dirt road.  As I approached each trail intersection (of which there were many), I tried to check my phone ahead of the next intersection so I would be prepared and not have to stop.

Without these blow-by-blow directions, I would not have been able to follow.  For example, regarding the 1.78 miles left turn over small wood planks, I only saw it because I knew it was coming up and had my eyes peeled for it.  This was my first time on "95 Trail" and it was a lot of fun.  Twisty and with some rocks, but not super technical like the boulder garden on NST in this area.

I did fine until just after the hard right onto NST.  At the next fork, I took a left like I thought I was supposed to and was looking for yellow blazes.  There was none, so I doubled back.  It turns out I was supposed to take a left at the second fork, and there the yellow blazes were quite clear.  Oh well, lost just a little time there, plus two stream crossings for Brady to get a drink.  I thought about just leaving Brady to get a drink and then he can easily catch up to me, but that isn't fair and he seems to choose his loyalty to me over his desire to quench his thirst, so I stopped completely both times and encouraged him to quaff.

Up until now, there had only been just a few sporadic deerflies that I killed, but turning onto white trail 4 1/2 miles in, they were just relentless.  I wore a hat to cut down on head bites, but my shoulders and arms were exposed and those bastards took advantage of that.  I was hot and sweaty by now, tired on the hill climb, and just swatting literally left and right.  As much as I love single-track, I couldn't wait to get back onto the dirt road, with hopefully sun to send them scrambling.

Downhill on the dirt road to the finish, and the deerflies were really finally gone now!  I wasn't sprinting here, but I was pushing the pace.  Took the final single-track to the left, and finished in the far end of the field.

Not the cleanest looking brook ever, but I joined Brady by wading into
the Roaring Brook (which was not roaring today!).
I was pretty tired, but went for a very slow 1.5 mile cooldown around Browning Mill Pond.  We startled an old woman on a narrow bridge, and she screamed and gave me dirty looks.  Yet she was in the middle of a very narrow bridge and didn't move at all.  So I said, "Excuse us, we're coming through.  Sorry for startling you.".  I wasn't really sorry, and wanted to ask what her problem was, but I took the high road and tried unsuccessfully to diffuse the situation.  She gave me another dirty look, said nothing, and rolled her eyes.  She was wearing a mask and I wasn't; was that her problem?  Or that I was sweaty and had taken my shirt off?  Who knows?  I ran past her, and then called Brady to come, who also clearly wanted nothing to do with her.

Very disappointed later to find that I didn't get on the overall segment, and I couldn't figure out why.
So what's the difference between our two runs, and the overall segment which
Nick set based on this run?  Besides very minor GPS differences, the fact that I started
earlier (which shouldn't matter, as the overall segment should be a subset of my run today),
and the bottom (or southernmost) portion of my route has a bit extra due to my wrong turn
(which also shouldn't matter as I doubled back), these two routes look the same to me.
Continuing my sleuthing, thanks to Nick's creating five composite "sub-segments" encompassing the whole route, I looked at those.  It turns out I got on Sectors #2 through #5, but not on #1.  So let's take a look at #1 in the same light:

OK, so clearly here is a difference.  My guess is that Nick and I actually ran the exact
same trails here, and he also made that same sharp left onto Tefft Hill Road as part of his
directions, but his GPS route is showing he crossed Tefft Hill Road and ran parallel to it.
----
Based on that, while it's still too bad I didn't get on the overall segment, I'm
feeling better that I followed the route correctly.
Post-run rewards:  Iced coffee and an egg and cheese on asiago bagel at Higher Grounds in Richmond.  I shared my bagel sandwich with Brady for being a good sport putting up with my shenanigans.
DFK count:  A staggering 31!  25 on the 10K challenge, and 6 on the cool-down.

Sunday:  8
Slow and easy run from Haley Farm State Park, with Matthew and Brady.  He had just run 20 hard and hilly miles yesterday, and my 10K hard effort yesterday didn't compare, but fortunately he was looking to take it easy as well.

Matthew pointed out early that the number of people who came out on trails during the early days of the pandemic has subsided substantially.  Even on the main trails at Haley, there were very few people to be found.  Easy but different loop through Bluff Point State Park and back.
Slipped on wet rocks and went down fairly hard into rocks and mud.
I'm used to it.  Stung for a bit, and then I got up and kept going.


Post-run rewards:  iced latte and breakfast sandwiches at Mystic Market.
DFK count:  ZERO today!

Weekly mileage:  49

Weekly synopsis:  Now that I've joined the swelling ranks of paid Strava subscribers, I am gradually started to take advantage of some of the features.  I keyed in a weekly goal of 50, and while I didn't that number, it's just a target goal, and close enough.

Weekly highlight:  Beach run.  It could have been the Arcadia run, but the deerflies were just too nasty. 

Weekly lowlight:  Nasty deerflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment