Friday, August 7, 2020

Blessing of the Fleet (Virtual Edition)

Narragansett, RI
Sunday, July 26, 2020

Background:  For 17 years straight, I had toed the starting line at the Blessing of the Fleet 10-miler.  Then came COVID-19, relegating the 3,000+ field size race to a virtual race.  I'm not a big proponent of virtual races, and this was carrying a full price tag of $40.  (Although to be fair, I think that was because they already collected regular fees pre-COVID, before switching to virtual.).  So what should I do?  Between having run it 17 years in a row, learning that my brother and niece were in, and realizing that all the money is going to a non-profit (Narragansett Lions Club) for full donation to charities, I decided I was in.  For the regular Blessing course, of course.  It wouldn't be the Blessing to me at all, otherwise.

Race day:  The plan was to arrive at 5:30am, go for a short warm up, and meet up with my brother Kurt and 10-year old niece Lucy to start together.  Matthew came along to pace me, and I was very appreciative that he planned out the logistics and supplies for a water stop.  By the time we stashed water stop supplies and parked the car, it was 5:44 when we started our warm-up trek to the school.  Fortunately, Kurt was running even later as we ran into him driving looking for a new parking spot as the school was closed off for parking, not sure if due to COVID and restricted beach parking, or because the town tried to discourage runners from congregating and running the actual Blessing course.  This gave me time to finish the warm up, take care of "business" (without the usual throng of men and women in the bushes this year), and relax.  Kurt and Lucy ran up to meet us, and when Kurt asked what I was looking to run, I think I uttered something like, "I'm going to try to stay close to 6 minute pace, so somewhere in the 60s, preferably low 60s, but if I finish over 70 minutes, I'm really having a bad day."

The ambitious start:  The four of us started at what we thought was the start line.  It seemed further down the road to me than usual, but it clearly was a starting line.  Matthew and I quickly went ahead.  The first mile went fine at 5:59.  Matthew continued on at about 6-flat pace, but it was quickly obvious to me that 6-flat would not be in the cards.  Managed to hang on during the next two miles at 6:09 and 6:11, but my breathing was becoming more labored and I was now aware of the humidity (95%) as I was soaked about this point and my singlet was clinging to me.

The middle suffering:  Matthew pulled further and further ahead of me as we got to Scarborough Beach, as I was really slowing in Mile 4.  Was worried about how slow I would be running on Route 108.  At the end of Mile 4 (6:30), I saw my sister-in-law and younger niece out there, and then saw Matthew stopped waiting for me.  Miles 5 and 6 on Route 108 weren't as terrible as I feared, likely because the sun wasn't upon me yet and the traffic wasn't busy, but it was still 6:29 and 6:34.

Hanging on 'til the finish:  As always, turning off of Route 108 is a mental bright spot for me.  You get off a busy highway and onto shaded back roads.  A special treat awaited me as Matthew had kindly run ahead at this point and had cold water to hand to me, plus extra ice cold water to pour over my head.  With the combination of all those factors, I temporarily stopped the continuing slowing of my miles and ran miles 7 and 8 in 6:24 and 6:28.  It looked like I had a good chance still to run sub-65.  Turning back on South Pier Road and running back past the start, Matthew stopped at this point, and told me was done and would meet me at the finish.  I should've thought quicker and given him the car keys so that he could get water at the car, but I didn't.  Up the very slight hill to Avice, but I felt it this year as I ran my slowest mile in 6:35.  

Turning off Avice, and slightly downhill onto Kingstown Road, I reminded myself that I just had a mile left.  Picked it up slightly.  With half a mile to go, two guys on the side of the road yelled out that I was "almost there" and looked good.  How could they know I was running Blessing?  Or because I was running relatively "fast" and there were a number of people running the Blessing course?  Finished in a 6:16 mile, salvaging this was just sub-64.

Final results:  1:03:55, 6th out of 274 reported, 1st in age group.  Full results here.

So I got to the usual finish line and my watch showed 9.9.  Continued to the seawall to make 10.  I guess we did start further down than normal.  No matter.  I ran my 10 and finished my 18th consecutive year of running the Blessing.  Now I needed some relief.  Every inch of me was drenched, even my socks!  Walked over to a fountain and stuck my head in it.  Matthew came over and told me I'm not supposed to do that.  Probably not ever acceptable, but certainly not in COVID times.  Just instinct to try to cool off.  Drank 3 bottles of cold liquids (thank you again to Matthew for packing the cold water and Gatorade into ice) before coming back to catch up briefly with Kurt and Lucy.  Wanted to walk over to the Narragansett Town Beach to jump in the ocean, but it already looked packed at 7:30am and it turns out you have to pay even to walk onto the beach!

18 years down.  Will look forward to continuing the streak next year, in more normal times.

No comments:

Post a Comment