Sunday, August 16, 2020

Weekly Log 3-Aug to 9-Aug-2020: Hydrations Packs & Kayaks

Monday:  0 run, 1/2 swim
AM:  Had most of the day off for jury duty, so worked around a couple of meetings I wanted to fit in, cancelled a couple of others, and went for a mid-morning swim at Watchaug Pond.  Felt really good on this swim!  No goggle problems this time, and just smooth.  Yes, I'm slow, but enjoyable and consistent.

Finished up and preparing to get out of the water, when do I see?  Tommy 5K and Haley swimming!  That's the second time in about as many weeks that I have randomly run into them here.

PM:  Went to my statewide grand jury appointment in Warwick.  The bad news is I had to wear long pants, socks, and a belt, all for the first time in at least three months, possibly longer.  Also, the courtroom was stuffy, hot, and we all had to wear a mask the whole time.  I felt I was going to fall asleep about halfway through the judge's diatribe.  Now that I'm done with my whining, here is the good news:  I was selected as an alternate juror!  Meaning for my six months of duty, I don't show up at all unless regular jurors are dismissed and approved by the judge.  I'm not counting my chickens yet, but I am happy!

Tuesday:  12
AM:  6 miles.  DuVal trails with Brady.  Uncomfortably thick air.  Ran first out to Red House Road, and then I felt badly as Brady laid down right away to try to cool down, and we had to run the 2 miles back now before I could get him any water.  Back at the car, I filled his portable water bowl with cold water not once, not twice, but thrice before he stopped drinking.  Note to self:  I need to be more aware of his conditions.  Took him for a swim at Watchaug Pond, where he repeatedly wanted to run and jump off the dock into the water!  Finally, that seemed to cool him off and the panting stopped.

PM:  6 miles.  Burlingame campground trails with Matthew and Brady at dusk.  This time we planned out two water breaks for Brady, but it wasn't humid like this morning, and he didn't have much issue.  Got really dark for the last couple of miles, and it was neat to run past so many blazing campfires.

Wednesday:  4
Final Fun Run of the year.  52 participants came out for the final night.  Unfortunately, two Westerly Sun photographers showed up as well.  Normally we would welcome the publicity, but this year we're trying to keep low key.  I just asked both to please be respectful, and to understand that we put so much time and effort into getting the 2020 events into reality and getting USATF approvals that we'd hate it to be unwound by a public photo of someone, despite our best efforts, perceived as not social distancing.  Hopefully I'll sleep well and not fret too much.

My own fun was a 19:39 this evening.  I tried to chase down Dave Goodrich, but I just didn't have it tonight.  Slow and lethargic in the heat.  I have to blame something, right?  In a way, I'm happy for the Fun Runs to come to a conclusion.  They definitely weren't the same as past years, and while people expressed gratitude for us going the "extra mile" to put them on, I was always nervous of some issue coming up.

Thursday:  8
Warm, but not hot, morning at Ninigret Park, with Matthew and Brady.  Circled back to the car twice for water breaks for Brady, and I took advantage of those as well.  Afterwards, took him to our new regular swimming spot, Watchaug Pond, for an extended swim.  He ran right down the dock, and jumped into the water, almost on top of where Matthew was in the water.

By the way, my fretting over the newspaper publicity of the Fun Runs was for naught.  There was not a single photo in the print edition, and online, a very respectful gallery including a number of photos and masks, and the following caption was posted:  Sun Spotted Gallery


Friday:  17!
AM:  10 mile group run on the beach at sunrise, at low tide, barefoot.  Matthew and I met up with Tommy and Mikey for a guys group run, but I think the happiest runner of all today was Brady, as he darted in and out of the water during his run.  The start was foreboding as we had to run through very thick seaweed covering the entire beach and also couldn't see the rocks under the thick seaweed in the water.  The seaweed lasted a good 1/4 mile and in some places was more than a foot thick!

The rest of the run, other than rocks jutting out at the west end of Atlantic Ave, was pretty flat and seaweed free.  I ran mostly with Mike, as the three younger guys were generally ahead.  As always, a post run dip in the ocean was very refreshing, and Brady joined in for the swim as well.  Finished up with a social catch-up over coffee next door at the Innlet.  Great start to the morning!

PM:  7 miles with Mike Main in Burlingame.  He was vacationing in RI and wanted to run Burlingame, and preferably something "gnarly".  OK, so I took him on a tour of Sammy C's, Lenny Lane, down to North Camp (not at all gnarly, but certainly picturesque), and back on VG.  The legs are done for today.

Saturday:  6 run, 2 kayak
6-mile trail run with Brady from the Watchaug Pond boat launch.  Easy run on the usual campground trails.  The campfires along the way smelled great.  Ran with my new hydration pack for the first time to get used to it, as well as be able to provide water to Brady knowing there wouldn't be any streams.
New hydration pack:  Nathan Vapor Air, 2L bladder

Came back to the launch, untied the kayak, and put it on the beach ready to go.  And who shows up?  Tommy 5K and family, of course!  It's uncanny how we have just happened to meet up here at least three times in the past month.  I was showing Haley how Brady loves to jump off the dock into the water now, and she took to it as well.

While getting something out of the car and getting ready to kayak, I had a few unplanned issues:  Brady saw a bunch of guys playing frisbee in the water a ways off, and while he almost always come when I call him no matter what he's doing or chasing, this time he was bounding away and determined, and my running after him and calling him didn't deter him.  One of the frisbee tosses went wide and Brady swam out and got it.  I apologized to the guy, and he was laughing and said no problem at all, and he suggested I get Brady a frisbee.  Good idea!  

A woman came over and said something to the effect of "Thank you for not putting Brady on the leash".  Uh-oh.  Sarcasm?  Before I had chance to say anything, she said Brady seems so friendly and playful and can come over to their beach spot anytime to play with their Golden Retriever; she's not one of those uptight people.  I said I just realize that some people don't like dogs running around, so I try to be sensitive to that.  All's well that ends well.
Wet dog on his first kayak ride.  At Watchaug Pond.

Borrowed Mark's car to put on the roof rack.  What a pain to tie it.
If I ever got my own kayak, I'd invest in the strap system that most kayakers seem to use,
but for a short term borrow of a neighbor's kayak, the rope did the job just fine.

Sunday:  10 run, 2 kayak
AM:  Hot morning on roads, so left Brady at home.  I did feel guilty, but it was for the best, and Jana took him for a run.  About 7 of the miles were on roads, a few with the Run While You Can crew, and then a solo run on the beach at close to low tide.

PM:  2nd kayak day.  Pawcatuck River with Matthew and Brady.  Launched from the state boat launch in downtown Westerly.  A little too busy for my liking, with boat trailers and boat launches seemingly constant.  
Brady is intently watching Matthew, in the 2nd kayak

Weekly mileage:  57 run, 4 kayak, 0.5 swim

Weekly synopsis:  A really good week.  Active everyday with a lot of varied activities.  Run mileage over 50 for the first time in several weeks.

Weekly highlight:  Getting out on the water 6 out of 7 days!  Spending time on and in the water is a highlight of summer in general for me.

Weekly lowlight:  Having to get "dressed up" and sit in a courtroom in Warwick for the afternoon.  And if that's my worst lowlight of the week, things aren't bad!

1 comment:

  1. Cool adventures! Fun to run into you at our favorite pond all those times. Haley thinks you live there.

    ReplyDelete