Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Weekly Log 30-Nov to 6-Dec-2020: Into December We Roll

I have a bunch of online training courses that are due December 31,
and I only have four working days left.  If this detection were true,
I would really be in trouble!

Monday:
  0
Planned day off.  Good thing, as it was a nasty heavy wind-driven rain day.

Tuesday:  2 walk, 5 run
December already. How did that happen?

AM:  Rigorous clearing of invasive snaking vines and brush at Avondale Farm Preserve.  The CCC works for two hours (coffee before) each Tuesday, and two hours was about my limit today of swinging a weed-wacker with a steel saw blade.

Noon:  Easy paced run from Fallon Trail through Woody Hill.  Never saw a soul out there today.

Wednesday:  8
Noontime solo run at Bluff Point.  Almost entirely single-track.  Somebody lightly blazed one of my favorite single-track trails, so that was pretty cool.  Added on Poquonnock River Boardwalk towards the end.

Thursday:  12
Solo road workout on coastal Westerly roads.  2 mile warm-up before jumping into:  Two 3-mile MP mile sessions (6:26, 6:24, 6:27, recovery mile, 6:31, 6:34, 6:25).  The second set felt harder than I wished.

Friday:  10
Arcadia early afternoon single-track run with Matthew and Brady.  Trails in good shape and weather unusually warm at 55°, but I just didn't feel well.  Hopefully just weak from poor timing of meals and not sick.

Saturday:  10
Monsoon like weather today.  Avoided the morning, and waited for Matthew so at least I had a partner in crime to go out for a run in this weather.  Kudos to my Strava followers who got out first thing in the morning today while I wimped out and hid under the blanket covers.

Waited until 3pm today, but it didn't get any better, and actually got colder.  35° when we started our run on Burlingame loop, plus the Burlingame trail.  Pouring as we got out of the car, so I figured the first mile would be cold.  But to make matters worse, it turned to sleet being driven into our faces as we ran down Sanctuary Road along Watchaug Pond.  That sleet hurt!  The last 8 miles were all single-track.  Obviously none were dry, and I was fine running through 2" of standing water, but anything deeper than that (of which there was plenty) went right into the shoes and socks, and that water was cold!  Streams were overflowing and often spilled calf-deep onto the trail.  By the end, it was getting dark, wet snow was falling, and my fingers were really cold in my now soaked gloves.  Glad I got this in, but that was one tough run.  

Brady led the whole way, and to my amazement, always seem to know the right trail to take.  Animal sense or memory?

Sunday:  12
Return to Bluff Point, but with a different twist on trails today.  Matthew picked a bunch of single-track trails that I don't think I had ever been on before.  Really fun trails gradually winding down towards the beach, before taking the single-track that runs between the two main fire roads and then winding down towards the deserted Mumford Cove and the Sand Loop.  Ran into Haley State Park for a sampling of single-track, before returning and finishing.  Fairly easy pace, but a good run to end the week.

Weekly miles:  58

Weekly synopsis:   Another great running week!  Exceeded my mileage week, got in a road workout, and a number of good trail runs.

Weekly highlight:  Single-track runs at Bluff.

Weekly lowlight:  The nasty frigid, windy, wet weather on Saturday's run.

No comments:

Post a Comment