Friday, December 18, 2020

Weekly Log 7-Dec to 13-Dec-2020: Trail Variety & Christmas Tree

I have way too many WebEx meetings that chew up my time.
I've got to learn some tricks from Wally.

Monday:
  0

Tuesday:  1 walk, 10 run
AM:  WLT CCC volunteer work marking the border at Winnapaug Farm Preserve.

Noon:  Solo chilly 29° run from Wahaneeta, with a classic trails CCW loop.  This is the first week of RI's shotgun season, and I was glad to be wearing a bright orange quarter-zip AND an orange hat when I encountered two hunters out there.  I saw them before they saw me, and for the rest of the run I made especially sure to keep my eyes and ears focused.  Nice to be out in the woods.

Wednesday:  10
Late afternoon run at Ninigret with Matthew and Brady.  37° with wet snowflakes and a light breeze.  Laps on asphalt and grass fields.

Thursday:  10
AM:  Five with Brady on local roads, trails, and fields.
PM:  Five with Dave and Justin P at Brazen Hen Fun Run.  I felt like Rudolph with my blinking headlight, but visibility is key.  Nice social catch-up outside post-run.

Friday:  11
Tillinghast / Wickaboxet trail run with Brady and Matthew.  Started/finished at the Hazard Road trailhead.  A fair amount of the trails had a thin veneer of snow, which was kind of fun.  Hope we get a lot of snow this winter!

Saturday:  14
With Brady at Yawgoog.  Nice loop from North Road, through the very technical Narragansett Trail down to Asheville Pond, Table Rock Trail (a bit overgrown), and then up to Green Falls Pond and back Freeman Trail through the camp itself.  A lot of technical trails today, took me about 2 hours 2 minutes at a comfortable but not rushed pace.

Very foggy at start, switching to steady soaking rain 5 miles in.  Considered bagging the run at that point as we were close to the car, but I'm glad I didn't.  We saw a few hikers very early on near Long and Ell Ponds, and then no one the rest of the run.  I guess one advantage of steady rain!

So I carried a leash in my hands for 14+ miles, but never put it on Brady.  There just wasn't ever a need to.  The two times we went by people early on, he just stayed at my side and ran with me.

At Southwest Marker (RI/CT border on the technical, rock garden red trail), someone constructed two new cairns with really neat and unusual stones.  Even on busy trail days, I have never in my life seen anyone out at Southwest Marker or on the "Death Valley Trail".  Pretty remote out there.

Sunday:  0
A rare Sunday zero.  I believe you have to listen to your body, and my body today said I'm sore and hurt.  I don't know if I tweaked something on yesterday's technical run, but it's odd for me to be this sore after a 14-mile non-race run.

Went to get the Christmas tree with Jana and Brady.  
Posing in front of our 8' white pine
(no more 16' trees for the foreseeable future)

Jana is better than me at following 
COVID mark directions at the farm


We brought our own saw (although you could use one
of theirs), and they had carts for pulling the trees
back to the baling area.  (Hartikka Tree Farm, Voluntown, CT)
---
Call me old-fashioned, but there is something really neat
about walking around a Christmas tree farm, picking out
and cutting down a real tree.  Our adult sons no longer
see it that way and seemingly have little interest, but Brady seemed to 
enjoy the country outing.


At home and setup.
I don't think we ever had a white pine 
Christmas tree before.


Weekly mileage:  55

Weekly synopsis:  Hit my weekly goal (50) in just five running days, and with all runs in different locations, so that kept it interesting for me.

Weekly highlight:  The technical 14-mile trail run at Yawgoog / Green Falls.  Yes, even in the cold soaking rain.

Weekly lowlight:  Not getting a run in on Sunday, albeit that being the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment