Thursday, April 1, 2021

Weekly Log 22-Mar to 28-Mar-2021: Post BPC Limbo

Miscellaneous rambling:
  • The Border Patrol Challenge finished over a week ago now.  Time to start setting out some race plans.
  • Governor McKee announced that outdoor events with over 1,000 participants can resume on July 15th.  I hope this portends well for an in-person running of the Blessing of the Fleet.
Monday:  0

Tuesday:  5 run, 2 walk
AM:  Short solo run in Grills to set flags for CCC cutting of a small trail off the top of Big Hill, to be used for this fall's inaugural Grills 10-Mile (and 10K) Trail Race.

AM:  Led group of 5 during this week's CCC session.  Cut the trail, and took out a couple of blowdowns and some trash.
Short new trail connecting to summit of Big Hill,
to be featured in WTAC fall trail race. 


PM:  Short run in Woody Hill with Brady.

Wednesday:  10
Ran the Rhody 10-mile course we used two years ago for the special USATF-NE edition.  I hadn't run this in a while.  I preferred this course (as it is more technical and has less asphalt), but not everyone did, and the agreement was to hold only for the USATF-NE championships anyway and then return to the classic course.

Thursday:  4 hike, 8 run
AM:  WLT hike at Grills.  

PM:  Brazen Hen Fun Runs.  I like running these occasionally; once a month or so is good.  Got there early and ran two miles on my own, on a hilly route up to WHS and back Narragansett Ave.  There were about 15 runners there tonight.  Ended up in a group with CarolAnn and Justin; I like the quiet hill up Asher in Pawcatuck.  Back on the Westerly side, we caught up with Matt Sweeney out for a run and asked he could join us.  Of course!  Had a drink on the deck with the gang, before heading home.

Overnight:  Brady ran away and didn't come home.  I was out frantically and repeatedly calling him and searching for him on various streets in the middle of the night, including where he was last reported.  So scary and heart-wrenching.  And then about 3am I was lying in my bed, nervous, sweating, and very confused.  I got out of bed and went to his bed; he was lying there sleeping.  Whew!  Only a bad dream, but seemed so real (which is why I wrote this paragraph the way I did; it all seemed very real to me at the time).

Friday:  5
Drizzly late afternoon run with Brady.  North Burlingame trails.

Saturday:  14
Arcadia run with Brady.  Ran kind of the "classic" loop that I like to there, except added on to go up to Step Stones Falls, and came back Shelter Trail instead of Breakheart.  Ran into two people I know:  Steve vonHousen out on his MTB, and Crutch and a friend out on a 23-miler.
The cleared area at the "summit" of Mt Tom,
north of 165.


Same general area, but now zoomed in 8x,
because what I never saw before in my numerous times
here was windmills!  This must be due to my newfound 20/20
vision (seriously!).  Look at about ten o'clock, on the far
left side of ridgeline in distance and you might see the
white silhouettes. 

Clear and clean, but COLD water at Stepstone Falls


New kicks to add to the rotation; lots of lugs in these


Sunday:  0
Being on a clear liquid diet for the entire day (for a minor medical procedure tomorrow), I am really hungry!  It doesn't sound like a good idea to go out for a run and increase the hunger when I'm already feeling weak.  I'll swap days and run tomorrow on my usual Monday off.

Weekly mileage:  42

Weekly synopsis:  I feel like I'm in some sort of temporary lost limbo between the end of the Border Patrol Challenge and the start of races.  Pretty pathetic, I know.  Hopefully getting a few races on the calendar will improve my motivation to get out there and who knows, maybe even get some training in.

Weekly highlight:  The run in Arcadia.  It wasn't that long ago that I wouldn't venture to the massive Arcadia Management Area on my own, lest I get hopelessly lost and be left for circling vultures to eat my dead body.  I'm still no expert on Arcadia, but with thanks mostly to Jonathan Short, I've patched together enough trails to make some fun routes and be comfortable with knowing where I am.

Weekly lowlight:  From a life standpoint, the bad dream about Brady for sure.  From a running standpoint, the limbo-induced lack of motivation.  This too shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment