Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Weekly Log 5-Apr to 11-Apr-2021: Vaccination!

Miscellaneous ramblings:
  • Race restrictions are easing (e.g., just got permission from town to up our Clamdigger races to 175)
  • Several more local restaurants just opened indoor dining (e.g., enjoyed Pizza Place Friday evening; had sushi and grilled Chilean sea bass at Koi on Saturday).
  • Our bank (my employer) reopened their lobbies for the first time since last year, but we were advised that "non-essential" employees like me won't be allowed back in the office for months.  I'm in no rush.
  • Coffee shops starting to open for sit-down (e.g., Junk and Java opened a few weeks back, and I saw a DD in RI open for sit-down for the first time in over a year).
  • And, of course, the best news is ... I'm now fully vaccinated!  Yay!
Monday:   1 walk
Typical Monday off from running.  1 mile family (including dog) walk at Avondale post-work.

Tuesday:  1 walk
Typically every Tuesday at CCC ("Coffee & Clearing Club"), there are anywhere from 2-4 assignment where I can choose from, or am asked to lead.  Having to miss the coffee half-hour plus being 40 minutes late (due to scrambling on Internet to find one of the just released and coveted COVID vaccine appointments) left me with only choice:   meet up with a crew at Barlow picking up trash on Barlow's road frontage with Route 91.  No problem; with gloves I don't mind picking up trash of this sort (typically cans, bottles, nips).  It's the really disgusting stuff (like diapers outside of a couple of Bradford houses a few years back) where I draw the line.

Wednesday:  6
AM:  Vaccination time!  Nervous and excited at the same time.  We had to drive up to East Providence, but it was a nice day, my employer gives up to 2 paid days off per vaccination shot, and it was all worthwhile for both of us to get a next day appointment and with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, we don't need to come back again!

As we waited at the pharmacy counter (Stop & Shop), my hands were getting sweaty as normal.  (Ancient history flashback:  At age 18, I fainted while getting an injection, rolled off the bed in my doctor's office, fell, hit my head, and got a concussion and temporary memory loss.  Since then, I know it's psychological, but I'm afraid of needles of any sort.)  The pharmacist was really good, talked me through it, I felt pain for just a few seconds, and then done.  My arm was sore for about an hour afterwards, but a small price to pay.  Jana had no side effects.

We went to Dunkin next door and then out to lunch in Garden City.  Just such a huge relief off my shoulders.

PM:  Post-work run in Wahaneeta/Woody Hill with Brady.  Care-free and a lot of fun.

Thursday:  5
My planned daytime run fizzled out due to various work constraints.  Oh yeah, that's what they pay me for.  I'm still waiting for someone to pay me for trail running, but I'm not holding out much hope.

After a 13-month run of virtual WTAC board meetings via WebEx, we moved to a hybrid format of in-person and WebEx.  Another positive sign!  Seven of us joined around a very long conference table where we could all socially distance, and another three joined remotely from their homes and appeared on the conference room screen.

Since we were at Barlow Preserve, post-meeting, Paul, Dave, and I went for hybrid road/trail run up to and into Woody Hill.

Friday:  3
I was asked to shoot a "thank you" video for the Westerly Land Trust, with the guidelines that it should be on a WLT property and no longer than 30 seconds.  It was also suggested that I film from my capacity in WTAC for a different angle.  OK, I can do that.  Running during the video and shooting at Big Hill (Grills Preserve) came to mind.

I used a tripod for the running part, and a selfie stick for the standing/speaking part.  How do I carry those and a cell phone/camera?  Left Brady's leash in the car, and wore a standard backpack.  They're fine for a short hike, but not for a run.  Kept it short.
In the early seconds of the short video, Brady awkwardly
jumps off the rocks and right in front of me.  Oh well,
I kept it in.


Saturday:  12
Ran Tillinghast and Wickaboxet preserves.  For a change of pace, I parked at the small Hell's Gate parking lot and ran the Bates Loop first.  I had forgotten how much fun the Bates Loop is, but really that applies to the entire trail system here.  This must be one of the best marked trail systems in the state, and has frequent maps with "You are here" designations.

As I have been doing lately, I ran in a long sleeve shirt, but this was a mistake as the temperature (we're a bit inland here and away from the cooler coastline) quickly made its way into the mid-60s and I was quite warm.  Apparently Brady was as well, as at a deeper stream he not only jumped right in, but sat down in the water, and then put his head under.

Probably between 6 - 10 hikers out there today.  Many were with dogs, all of which were nice dogs today.  One woman with two dogs had the fear that her dogs would rather run with Brady and me than walk with her, and that turned out to be true!  Eventually they heeded her call and turned back.

Sunday:  12
Burlingame long way around the pond, with Brady.  I had thought of running roads with the RWYC crew, and I probably should get in a few more road runs before Clamdigger, but they're just not as fun (the roads that is, not the RWYC crew).  When I do run RWYC group road runs, I usually peel off on the return and run the beach back home, but I checked the tides and it was high tide so that sealed the fate for me:  no RWYC run today.

Parked at Kettle Pond in Charlestown, and ran a big CCW loop around the pond, including down to North Camp, where Brady went in for a full swim.  He came back to shore and whined.  I wish he would speak English instead of whine, but my best guess on a translation is he wanted me to come in swimming too.  Another month and a half and I'll be there.  A few hikers and a few bikers out, but pretty quiet overall.  

Weekly mileage:  38

Weekly synopsis:  Pretty meager running mileage this week.  I guess that happens when you take two days off, and also run short runs midweek.

Weekly highlight:  Getting the vaccine, really.  As for runs, the Tillinghast run.  That is just an awesome place.

Weekly lowlight:  Low mileage.

No comments:

Post a Comment