Monday, March 14, 2022

Hare Hop 5K

Stonington, CT
Saturday, March 5, 2022

This was my third time running this event, the first being my first official running race ever back in 2003 at the tail end of my 30s, and the second being two years as the last run for many months just as the COVID pandemic was hitting the area.

I don't love the course, as it's an OAB with a 75' hill in the middle, but I do like to support local races.  That especially applies to the races that are well run, as is this one.  This is a long time run hosted by Kelley's Pace, it's USATF certified, and it's one of the few remaining races timed by SNERRO, who now chip times exclusively.

Starting from your left, starts winds CCW around Olde Mistick Village,
then out on Coogan Blvd for Mile 1, under Route 95, and up
a quiet neighborhood hill for a cone turnaround at Mile 1.55,
then turn around and run back to the start.

Two years ago, I ran a disappointing 19:09.  Fresh off my recent successes in the past four months, but absent any 5K-specific training, I still prognosticated a much faster 5K.  In December, I tied my 17:32 PR at the Niantic Jingle Bell 5K, but that was flat and this isn't, so I set a goal for myself of sub-18.

Pre-race:  As I had picked up my bib the night before, and had it affixed to my singlet race morning, getting ready for race start was much easier.  It wasn't a large race at 153 finishers, but just one less thing to worry about.  Arrived at 8:15 (45 minutes in advance of race start) and after hitting the head, ran a 2.4 mile warm-up, which was basically the entire course with the exception of the 75' hill in the middle.  Had plenty of time when I got back, which was good because I had to go the bathroom 100 times.  OK, four times, but what's up with that?  In these short races, I get really nervous at the start, because there just isn't much room for error.  If you mess up in just one mile, you're done, whereas in a half or full marathon, there is at least the possibility of adjusting and recovering.

Race time:  Lined up near the start, with two minutes to go.  Eventual ladies' winner Linda Spooner came over to congratulate me on my time at Colchester Half.  After a countdown by race official Way, the gun literally went off and we were on our way under the inflatable arch and onto the course. 
Waiting for race to start.  Talking to women's winner (in pink),
I'm to her left (in yellow hat), and Dave is to my left.
(Photos by Jana unless otherwise noted.)

Mile 1:  Apparently I had inadvertently boxed someone in behind me and they were having none of that, as something slammed hard down on my right arm, and before I could react, a runner in pigtails squeezed past me.   Dave had already bolted ahead of me, and like I had just mentioned there isn't much room for error in a 5K race, I felt an inauspicious start as I joined the chase of runners passing in front of me and tried to stay in the race.
Heading out of the parking lot,
I (yellow hat) immediately fall to the back of the pack.

At 1/2 mile, the police stop traffic for runners as you leave the village and cross over onto the wide 4-lane Coogan Boulevard.  At this point, on a very slight 25' downhill, I looked ahead at the straight line of runners and counted that I was in 9th place.  Just before the end of the mile, and end of Coogan Boulevard, I pass ahead of two runners, including the pig-tailed runner.  I felt like I was pushing hard, but just could not stay up with Dave and others.  Mile 1 split 5:46.  Ugh.  That is not going to put me where I want to be.

Mile 2:  Passed one runner just before turning right into the neighborhood on Deer Ridge Road.  As we started the 75' hill climb, I caught up to and went past teammate Dave, who cheered me on.  The hill was shorter than I remembered it, so that's a good thing.  I saw the top two runners coming at me before I saw the cone turnaround, so I knew the turnaround was close.  At the turnaround, I saw I was now in 5th with the next two runners not that far ahead of me.  Midpoint time:  9:20.

We had a good 1/3 mile downhill now, and as we finished up the descent and the mile, I came up behind the 4th place runner, a young kid about 14.  Mile 2 split 5:54.

Mile 3:  As I came up behind the kid, I noticed him looking at his watch frequently, as in every 10-15 seconds.  Seriously.  What is going on that is changing that frequently to be meaningful?  I'm assuming he was looking at the typical data points of pace, distance, and/or elapsed time.  As we came to the end of the neighborhood road (Deer Ridge Road), there were three large cones designating where to cross the next road (Jerry Browne Road).  I noticed it odd that I while I hugged the cones to run the best tangent I could, the kid went a good 10' wide of the cones.  Why?  Oh, he's looking at his watch again and not at the road or the cones.  Ugh.

As we turned back onto Coogan Boulevard, I caught up right next to the kid.  He surged off ahead.  OK, I'm running my own race and he's obviously not in my age group.  Except that he came back to me shortly thereafter.  Same thing; I caught up next to him, and he surged ahead.  I've seen this before, and similarly this time, it didn't end well, as he kept using energy he didn't have to make those surges and eventually I went past him for good.
Side-by-side with the youngster
(Photo courtesy of Paul Gray)

Finally pulling ahead.
(Photo by Paul)


As we turned back into Olde Mistick Village, with about 1/4 mile left to go, I focused my attention on the next runner ahead of me, a 20-year old guy.  I certainly narrowed the gap, but did not have enough runway, and finished nine seconds behind him.  Mile 3 split was the most respectable at 5:30.
Back in the parking lot for final strides
just before finish line.

Finished!

Final results:  18:00.  3rd overall of 153, 1st in age group.  Full results here.
All young people around me!  Fighting to stay relevant
in the race, amongst youth.


Went for a cool-down with Dave, before coming back to Kelley's Pace for awards.  Unfortunately, unlike two years ago where we had the awards ceremony indoors at Mangos Pizza while they served fresh pizza complimentary to runners, this year was a grab-n-go bag with two bars, a plastic bottle of water, and a pencil.  Can't win them all.
Representing WTAC today included (l-r):
Eric C, me, Dave

Overall, even though this was my fastest Hare Hop, I would say that I had a decent race, but not a great one.  Similarly, the fun level was OK, but not nearly as high as Colchester Half the weekend prior.

Thoughts going through my head post-race:  I didn't break my albeit arbitrary goal of sub-18, but I came close.  Should I try to find a flat and fast 5K in the spring (like Clamdigger), or just move on and focus on bigger (i.e., longer) races?  Why was only my 3rd mile respectable?  Was I just getting warmed up?  I did run 2.5 miles as a warm-up.  Am I just not a good 5K runner?  Or if I want better results, should I be putting in 5K specific training?  That may be it.  All food for thought as I ponder my spring races.

No comments:

Post a Comment