Thursday, March 24, 2022

Weekly Log 14-Mar to 20-Mar-2022: Farewell Winter

Monday:  7
Charlestown, RI.  Temp almost 50° when we started late afternoon at Ninigret Park under sunny skies, so I opted for just a short-sleeve shirt.  Well, and shorts, socks, and shoes of course.  There was a breeze but still felt warm.  With Matthew and Brady, the latter of whom was dragging a bit on the second half and likely explainable to the relative warmth, as he downed a full bowl of water when we got back to the car.

Tuesday:  8 run, 4 walk
AM:  Westerly, RI.  Weekly CCC volunteering.  Walked 4 miles at Riverwood Preserve while finishing up our annual refreshing of faded paint blazes.  As I've mentioned many times, the interior trails there are really pretty neat between rock faces, steep ascents/descents, and tight trails through mountain laurel; it's just the sketchy access that detracts.

PM:  Charlestown, RI.  Solo 8-mile Quonnie run squeezed in at lunchtime.  Parked at state launch area at end of West Beach Road, and ran a CCW loop as I usually do.  Added on the dirt portion of East Beach Road down to the state beach to make eight.  Temp was about 50°, but with full sun and high noon, it felt much warmer than that.  Pushed the final mile at 5:39 pace; quicker than normal road run for me with an average pace of 6:20.

Wednesday:  11
Richmond, RI.  Classic run from Meadowbrook Pond, CCW loop with roads out to Carter Preserve to 112, Pine Hill Road to NST through Carolina South and back.  With Matthew and Brady.

Thursday:  8
Learned I was selected to lead our banking operations unit in Copenhagen.  The previous manager left, and until a permanent replacement was identified, this gives me an opportunity for a pretty neat ex-pat assignment.  Then the phone rang, I woke up confused, and remembered that we don't have any positions outside of southern New England.  Darn.  I guess it's good to dream?  Both literally and figuratively in this case.

Narragansett, RI.  8 miles.  Light rain, road loop from Black Point with Matthew for 5 miles.  Followed up with 3 miles solo on Black Point trails and Scarborough Beach.  By the stone house remains, I suddenly found myself stopped with both legs in two feet of seaweed and slop.  Did the best thing I could think of then and after extricating myself, ran into the ocean shoes on to clean it off.  It was raining anyway and I had a towel in my car.
Saw this guy just before the start of our run.
Unfortunately he didn't join the run.

Friday:  7
AM:  Westerly, RI.  2.5 miles.  Quick run with Brady at Wahaneeta, before heading to Stratford, CT with Jana to pick up her new car:  2019 Jetta SE, loaded and pretty sweet, warrantied until mid-2026.  Her 16 year old Audi A4 had served us well, but ran into engine issues and barely made it for a final trip to Cranston for sale to Car Max at a favorable price.  We had to pull over to the side a few times during the trip to Cranston, the engine was making a lot of noise, and the engine temp was in the red zone when we finally pulled in.  We were afraid they wouldn't take the car at all, and were pleasantly surprised with the offer.  I don't think the car would have made it back home.


Out with the old ...
In with the new.






PM:  Stonington, CT.  4.5 miles.  Another trail run with Brady, this time at Barn while simultaneously trying to plan out a family hike for Sunday.  Really glad we went, as the hike just won't be feasible there due to major reconstruction of trails in progress, rendering much of the area off-limits.

Saturday:  14
Waterford, CT.  Late morning ran a loop to/from Harkness Memorial State Park, utilizing a loop that Matthew had planned out on Strava.  I really didn't know the roads at all, but downloading the route to my watch, and using Garmin navigation feature on my Fenix 5S, it was an easy task to follow the route as I always knew how far to the next turn and even if I didn't pay attention to the watch, the watch would beep as we approached each turn.  The only tough part actually was navigating to the start point itself within the park, and after that it was a piece of cake.

I felt good for the first ten miles or so and the miles just ticked away as Matthew and I talked.  Then I started feeling weak.  I think I didn't fuel properly, so I'll have to do a better job before the race I have one week from today starting at 11am.  It's an odd time to race, so I'm thinking a late big breakfast next time, two hours prior to race start.

Sunday:  10 run, 4 hike
AM:  Charlestown, RI.  10-mile Burlingame run with Matthew and Brady, before the former headed back to UNH at the end of spring break.  Classic Rhody loop, with an up and back to the tower and a short campground road loop added in to make ten.  Post-run scone and latte at The Bakery on their opening weekend!

PM:  Westerly, RI.  4-mile hike with family at Grills Preserve, on a warm afternoon.  Finished up the hike with cookies Jana had baked, and the off to Downtown Creamery for ice cream!
Everyone was interested to check out
the sluiceway.  Even Brady.

My nieces kept Brady entertained 
(and I think vice-versa!)

Helping my 6-year old niece to
satisfy her insistence to climb Big Rock

Success!


Weekly mileage:  65 run, 7 hike

Weekly synopsis:  Pretty good mileage week for not having a specific plan!

Weekly highlight:  For runs, the Burlingame 10-miler.  Overall, the family hike and connecting with my sister-in-law, her father, and my nieces, as we all try to navigate this strange new world after our family tragedy.

Weekly lowlight:  Nothing!  A good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment