Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Clamdigger 2022

Sunday, April 24, 2022
Westerly, RI

The 41st edition of the Clamdigger races.  The Sun sports editor had previous counseled me not to call it "annual" any longer, as that implies it was held every year since inception, and we did not host in 2020 due to no gatherings allowed at all then at beginning of COVID-19 pandemic.

Last year's (2021) Clamdigger was a mixed success.   It was a financial success as we were "the only game in town", as most organizations simply canceled instead of meeting the difficult COVID requirements.  We put together COVID state and town plans, bought and utilized non-contact forehead thermometers, set up staggered start waves of USATF maximums of ten runners per wave, and required masks at check-in.  We sold out the state maximum of 125 participants in days, and when we got permission to increase to 175, we sold out those additional fifty in days.  That's the success part; the downside besides all the mandated COVID requirements was that it was pouring rain and windy.  I couldn't run myself as I was just a few days out from my cancer excision surgery, and man did I get cold standing around for hours.
2021 Clamdigger:  pouring rain, staggered starts


Fast forward to 2022.  While we hoped that those new participants would be "sticky" and return this year, we were happy that some did, but realized that many would not, especially those traveling quite a distance.  It also didn't help that we were running our event on the exact same date as the RI State Police 5K in Narragansett, but we didn't have a choice given Easter the week before and conflicts on other dates.  We still got 140 registrants in the 5K and 5Mile races this year, and another 10 in the kids' beach race.

Race day:  As Race Director, I was the first to arrive (8:30am) and the last to leave (1:30pm).  Somewhere in between all the setup and coordinating, I also ran the 5K event myself.   Before I get into that, I want to give a huge shoutout to all the volunteers, town rec department, sponsors, and the Westerly Police Department for making this all possible.  And of course the runners!  The WPD was over the top this year in terms of their support and safety, sending additional cruisers and officers, blocking the finish entrance to keep cars away from runners, and setting up portable digital signs advising cars to slow down for the race in progress.  Just fantastic.

My race:  As to my own race, Keith had kindly offered to pace me at an attempt to break my 5K record (17:32).  While I feel I'm not quite in the same shape I was last fall and still about 3 pounds heavier, it seemed plausible.  Just the day before the race, Keith suggested 5:37 target splits, and I checked the forecasted wind to find only 6mph.  Looking good!

After setting up, going through RD duties, and getting in a short warm-up (1.2 miles) myself, it was go time.  Only the wind wasn't 6mph.  Not even close.  My Strava showed 12mph and others showed as much as 19mph.  The wind was in an uncommon direction out of the east, meaning we would be in a headwind going out; tailwind on the return.
2022 Clamdigger:  windy, but not rain,
and back to the normal road start using the certified courses


Mile 1:  Nick Bottone started the race with a gun and I tucked in behind Keith.  We quickly took the lead, and I tried to maximize the energy savings in drafting.  But I found myself shifting slightly left or right of Keith, as the wind still managed to get around him.  Maybe I needed a much fatter Keith to hide behind?  Oh, but then he probably wouldn't be running sub-6, would he?  I actually felt decent out there in the first mile and I was happy to stay just behind Keith.  I didn't look at my watch at all until I heard it beep.  5:51.  What?  Maybe I should've checked my watch?  Keith mentioned something about making up the time on the return.  14 seconds off, with a tailwind coming up.  Sounds plausible at least.
Early in first mile (in blue cap, behind Keith, 
just ahead of Tommy 5K.  Dave and Nick on my left were in
5M race, as was Tommy [1st OA])


Mile 2:  It's getting tougher for me to stay with Keith, but I push and do it.  In my typical fashion, the cone turnaround has a negative impact on me, and looking back at Strava my instantaneous pace right at the turnaround moment is the slowest of my race at 6:14.  I wonder how many seconds it actually adds?  At any rate, I'm oblivious (fortunately!) to that stat during the race, and I saunter on.  I see but don't recognize the 2nd 5K runner coming at me (a 56-year old from Providence that will run just over 19), and then turning off Breach Drive for the straight shot back on Atlantic Avenue, I see Jonny Eckel and remark to myself that he looks "winded".  Bad pun (he's still running into the wind).  Keith has picked up the pace, but aided by a tailwind, I'm able to keep up.  Mile 2 split 5:37.  Exactly our (my) target pace.   

Mile 3:  With Mile 1 having been 14 seconds slower than target, and Mile 2 dead on, it's easy to calculate that Mile 3 should 14 seconds faster than target to keep me on track.  But that's 5:23.  Is that possible?  I have pulled up alongside Keith (there's no longer a headwind to contend with) and in fact up until Mile 2.4 we are running low 5:20s.  But alas, it's not sustainable.  For me.  I'm in oxygen debt and despite trying hard to keep the pace, I slow to 5:50s, where I will remain for the rest of the race.  Mile 3 split 5:47.  Even the final .1 mile I can only manage a 5:40, and that's with a tailwind.  I'm just spent.
Finishing up.  Keith is out for a jog,
while I'm in a sprint!

Keith continues on down the road,
as he has many more miles to put in,
while I turn into the parking lot and head for the finish line.


Final result:  18:00.  1st overall, but that wasn't the goal.  Full results here.

I see the clock ticking 17:5x as I approach the finish.  I thought I got in at 17:59, but SNERRO results will later show 18:00.  Sometimes those artificial cutoffs at flat minutes will bother me, but not today.  It's just not what I was looking for.  I'm disappointed.  I don't want to be too hard on myself, as clearly the wind had some impact, and I'm running faster than I was five years ago when getting under 18:10 was a struggle.  For a geezer pushing sixty, I should be happy with that.  But the competitive nature in me will keep pushing me to do better and run faster.   Onwards ...
Setting up for awards.
Chilly on the pavilion.

Chowder and baguettes were awesome,
especially on a cool, brisk day.

So glad to see the return of the kids' run.
(No awards ceremony, chowder, or
kids' run since 2019 due to COVID.)


No comments:

Post a Comment