Sunday, May 1, 2022

Weekly Log 25-Apr to 1-May-2022: A Healthy Break from Racing

Monday:  5
Charlestown, RI.  Post-work run with Brady from Burlingame Campground.  Felt quite tight after yesterday's race, albeit only a 5K.

Tuesday:  2 walk
Westerly, RI.  My only window for running today would have been 6am, and that's just not happening.  Worked on clearing foundation walls at Larkin Farm at Grills.  Honestly, as these were so overgrown, I had no idea this structure even existed.

Part of the overall Larkin Farm, dating from 1665.


Wednesday:  7
Stonington, CT.  Late afternoon run in Mystic, using most of the Mystic 10K course, although in reverse so that I wouldn't have headwinds along the river in Groton.  I put on my race flats for a planned descending ladders workout, but even two miles in I felt tight and a tad sore, so decided this is probably not the best idea and bagged it.  On the contrary, I ran intentionally slow.

Thursday:  5
Westerly, RI.  Woody Hill mid-morning with Brady, between work meetings.  Easy run.  Just ran out of time.

Friday:  11
Exeter, RI.  Finally, no work meetings all morning.  Signed on, got a few things done, and then headed to Arcadia with Brady to run my "classic loop" (from JB Hudson trailhead, cross 165, Mount Tom Trail -> Escoheag -> Breakheart -> JB Hudson).  Fell hard in Mile 9 on Breakheart Trail and scraped up my lower leg, knee, and thigh with hitting a rock, the ground, and a wooden water bar (I learned that term from Bob Segal just this week).

First bloody fall of the year.

Saturday:  16
Charlestown, RI.  Finally got in a long run.  First time in three weeks.  Pushed the middle five miles, ranging from 5:59 - 6:24 (uphill), and felt very winded from it.  Happy to get it in, but I'm not sure if my body was, as I was dehydrated for hours and had very concentrated urine (probably TMI).
One positive side-effect of longer, harder runs is that I actually
crave healthy food.  For my post-run lunch, I made tuna fish with tomatoes
and pickles on toasted whole grain bread with seeds, and a large navel orange.

Sunday:  12
Nice ML trail run with Brady at Burlingame.  The usual VG loop, plus North Camp and Burlingame trail tacked on.  Temp was 55° at start; I was very comfortable in short sleeves.  Brady must've felt warm though, as he laid down in the streams and in the pond he laid down and put his head completely under the water to cool off.  I thought most dogs don't like to put their head under water?

Weekly mileage:  55 run, 2 walk

Weekly synopsis:  Back to more respectable mileage this week, although certainly back-loaded.  Look to have move 55+ mileage weeks for the foreseeable future now.

Weekly highlight:  Today's Burlingame run.  Very few people despite the great weather, and a very enjoyable and comfortable run.

Weekly lowlight:  Pretty minor, but low mileage start to the week and lingering soreness from races.  I'm so glad I didn't race this weekend as I needed the break.

No comments:

Post a Comment