Saturday, June 4, 2022

Double-header Race Weekend: Shad and Mystic

Shad Bloom 10K Trail Race
New Shoreham, RI
Saturday, May 14, 2022

While I've run many back-to-back race weekends in the past, it's something I generally try to avoid these days.  As I get older, I sense the need for a longer recovery period.  But between wanting to run Shad Bloom with the WTAC crew and Mystic 10K with the WLT staff, I opted to run both.

Shad Bloom is at an odd time of 1pm.  Not only odd for trying to figure out how and when to eat, but also which ferry to take.  The 9am ferry lands with 3 hours to spare, and the 11am ferry lands with about an hour to spare, but after deducting disembarkation and walking time (the bus was not running again this year due to COVID) you're really left with about 1/2 hour to check in and warm up.

Went with the 11am ferry, although I'm still not convinced this is the optimal option.  Picked up a sandwich en route to the ferry and ate it immediately after boarding.  I had hoped Matthew would race and defend his title, but at least he came along for the ride and company.  Last year we had 15 WTAC runners, but this year was a bit smaller crowd with seven.

Race start to Mile 2 - dirt roads:  This year with COVID race restrictions completely lifted (except the bus) including the need for staggered starts, the start reverted back to the traditional location on the east side of the Block Island School.  The gun went off and in the short distance going around the school, a pack of three (Steve Brightman, Adrian Masse, and a mystery kid) were quickly ahead of me.  Nick was just ahead of me, and I was in 5th.  The road quickly turns from asphalt to dirt.  I caught up to Nick about a 1/2 mile in.  We ran together for a little bit, and he said today wasn't his today (I can't remember why) and I'd be ahead of him.  Just about then a young woman ran past both of us.  Although she is not in my age group or obviously my sex, I found it helpful to go with her, so I did.  For the rest of the dirt road, we alternated positions but stayed pretty close, as she'd pass me on uphills and vice-versa on downhills.  As we approached the end of the dirt road, I noted to myself that I would normally see the leaders here climbing the next section, grassy trails on open meadows, but it was so fogged in that I couldn't see anyone.  I entered the grass trail just ahead of the lead woman and I could hear but not see pounding surf below me.
Start of race
(Pics courtesy of Rachel)



Mile 2 to finish - grass trails:  We climb 70' or so up grass trails away from the ocean.  On the climb, the lead woman stays right with me until we start to descend with some twisty turns and then her footsteps drop off.  At Mile 4, we descend to the lowest point on the course:  Rodman's Hollow.  On the 130' ascent out of the hollow, I gradually catch and pass Adrian, who is power hiking.  I ask him if he's OK, as I don't expect to catch him and suspect he's not having a great day.  He is indeed having a tough day, as he's fine but out of gas.  He gives me some encouragement and I'm off.  I really feel the ascent is easier than I expected and that leads me to question whether that was really Rodman Hollow or whether it is still yet to come.  When I come out to the road with a water stop and 15 or so people, that answers my question and I know the "worst" is behind me.

After a short section on the road, I go on the very awkward stepladder-thing that gets you across the stone wall.  I remember that last year at this point I was so weak that I stumbled a bit and almost fell, and then really struggled in the final mile.  This year I am feeling much better, and just over the stone wall, I have a clear view to my left of runners on the road approaching the stepladder-thing I just went over.  The girl is next with Adrian just behind her.  OK, I'll need to push the next mile as both are coming after me.  There isn't much change in elevation here and it is pretty much all grass trails.  Once we get out to the road, I know we have just under a half-mile to go and I am able to pick it up to sub-6 pace as I am running scared of being retaken by Adrian.  I would really like that podium finish.  I "sprint" through the finish line 22 seconds of Adrian, who in turn finishes three seconds ahead of the lead woman.  Nick comes through about two minutes behind her, so yeah, unfortunately probably not his day.



Finished!


Final results:  40:25, 3rd overall of 140  Full results here

On a cool down, I learn the lead woman is Taylor and we have a good conversation, as well as getting additional tips from Adrian on my upcoming ultra.  We get back with plenty of time before awards and I'm really glad I brought a change of clothes, as it's very humid here.  After awards, we head to the ferry.  This was a good day, and I like being on the Block.  Until the next time ...

---

Mystic 10K
Stonington, CT
Sunday, May 15, 2022

I've run the Mystic Half before (as a pacer several years ago) but never the Mystic 10K.  Both races share the first 5.5 miles or so.  The race had an early start of 7am, which is good to get it done and out of the way.  With a combined field of over 1,000 runners and many of the roads closed, it makes sense to start early on a Sunday morning.  

Local knowledge of the starting area helped me greatly.  As I got off Route 95 in Mystic about 6:15am, I noticed a long line of bumper-to-bumper cars snaking down Route 27 and around and through the village.  OK, I'll get out of this line and travel the short frontage road along Route 95 and go in the back way.  Great, I was at a parking spot in the village in about two minutes.  Got out of the car and saw the long of runners waiting outside the porta-jons.  Fine, I'll bypass those and go next door to the Mystic Aquarium where they have bathroom buildings accessible from outside the aquarium parking lot.  I was the only person in the bathroom.  Hurray for the small things.

Race start:  After a short warm-up, I lined up near the front and said hello to the few runners and spectators that I knew out of the massive crowds.  The police closed down the first few miles of the course, including all of the initial Route 27 section and the Route 1 section including the Mystic drawbridge, which was really cool to be able to run in the middle of these busy roads unencumbered by any traffic.

A young fit-looking woman went out fast off the line, ahead of me, but behind 4 or 5 guys.  A shirtless muscular guy barreled past me very early on, but otherwise not much change in position once we settled in.  The river view scenery was really great on both sides of the river as we ran right alongside for miles.  My first mile was my slowest at 5:57, and that was with a slight net downhill.  The temperature wasn't too hot at 57°, but the humidity was abominable.  My Strava post shows a humidity of 94% but it felt even worse than that as I was pretty wet a mile in and knew this wouldn't be my day for any shot at a PR (36:22).

My miles continued to get slower and slower, with Miles 2, 3, 4 splits being 6:04, 6:08, and 6:13.  As scenic as River Road is, I was glad to turn off of it and just wanted to be done.  I was surprised to see Dave Goodrich here, and he was both volunteering as a course marshal and cheering runners on.  Thanks Dave!  I passed one final runner here, and didn't really know what place I was in, as both the 10K and half marathon runners started at the same time.  Mercifully I was NOT running the half today.

Mile 5 was another 6:13, and while I thought I would pick it up in Mile 6, I just didn't have it.  Mile 6 was a 6:11, and I was so relieved to turn in to the Mystic Aquarium parking lot and finish.  

Final results:  38:14, 5th overall of 715, 1st in age group, 1st Master  Full results here

Not one of my better races today, and while I acknowledge it's not smart to run back-to-back races in the same weekend, I really attribute most of my pace decline to the humidity.

My prize for winning 1st place in my age group.
I guess it's good that it's from a local small business,
and I don't go to races to win prizes,
but will I really use this?




On the other hand, this $5 certificate given to
each runner by sponsor DD has already been put
to good use!

No comments:

Post a Comment