Sunday, March 26, 2023

O'Niantic 5K

 
East Lyme, CT

Saturday, March 18, 2023

Coming off a surprisingly good 5K race just two weeks ago (PLR, USATF-CT, 17:39), where I was a mere seven seconds off my PR.  That piqued my interest in racing another 5K soon.  I searched for a relatively flat race coming up soon and relatively nearby, and eliminated any where the course was not USATF-certified.  Two races came up on today's date:  Mystic Irish 5K (Groton) and O'Niantic 5K (East Lyme).  After researching both, I quickly ruled out the former as 1) the website was lacking (no results, etc), and 2) there was a cone turnaround, of which I am the slowest person on the planet to navigate.

Signed up for O'Niantic.  As long as you signed up a minimum of one week in advance, they mailed your bib out to you saving the need to wait in any bib pick-up lines race morning.  Brilliant!

With my bib already on my race singlet, I arrived 8:55am for a 9:45am start.  Plenty of free parking close to the start/finish.  As I got out of the car, I was quickly reminded of how this was NOT a competitive race.  I saw plenty of people with bibs pinned to the outside of their sweatshirts, jackets, and even one woman with a bib pinned on her jeans.  I imagine a walker and of course they're all welcome, but selfishly, none of these people will be helping to pull me along on the course.  

No line at the porta-jons, so a quick visit there, and then I ran most of the course.  A couple of turns in it became obvious I'd be dealing with a north headwind for a few sections.  Ugh.  Got back in plenty of time to strip down to short shorts and singlet, change into race shoes, and use the bathroom.  Yes, again.  Actually the 5th time, but who's counting.  These short races really do a number on my nervous and GI system.  Ran over to the start hoping to get in a few strides, but it was mobbed.  Found a side street to run strides on, and ran into WTAC teammate Bob Kerwin.  Lined up on the front line and ready to go.

There was a young fast looking kid on the front line as well.  He asked the race starter how long until the start.  He was told they're about to start the wheelchair start, and then another 30 seconds to general start.  With that, he near sprinted off to a nearby porta-jon.  I was surprised he risked it, as I would have never made it, but sure enough with just a few seconds to spare he was back on the starting line.

Mile 1:  The horn went off, and we were on our way.  Fresh off his successful bathroom sprint, the kid took it out hard and had a commanding lead by the first turn.  A guy presumably in his 20s asked if anyone knew whether the kid was shooting for 15 minutes or 16 minutes.  After no response, he said, "Well, I'm going to go for it.".  Good luck.  And he was gone after the kid.  After a fast half-mile east, we turned north for a quarter-mile into the wind, before another turn.  Mile 1 split 5:39.  Slower than what I was looking for, but not bad.

Mile 2:  Almost the entire 2nd mile was into the wind headed north, with a fenced off military reservation on our right and in sections a river or estuary on our left.  On the long stretch out, I could see three runners ahead of me (2nd - 4th place), but once we reached the northern most turn in a neighborhood, I was in no man's land.  In my mind, I was reminded of Matthew's comment ahead of time that the lack of competition would hurt me and I think it did.  I just kind of naturally slow down when I don't see anyone ahead of me and I'm not being challenged from behind.  A few quick turns in the neighborhood, where I didn't see any other runners at all, and we were back on the OAB long stretch between the military reservation and the water.  Mile 2 split 5:57.  Ouch.  Well, any shot of a PR is officially gone.  Just finish the race.

Mile 3:  Now heading south, I could once again see the three runners, now far ahead of me (all but the lead kid).  After two more turns, I turned onto the main road, and saw one runner not too far ahead of me.  This guy was the one that sprinted out after the leader at the beginning, going for 15 or 16 minutes. There were actually quite a few spectators in this area, and one yelled out to me, "You can catch him!".  He was right.  I was quickly up next to him and went past him on the penultimate turn.  However, as I did, it was clear he still had a little something left in the tank and he took off repassing me and stayed ahead of me.  Mile 3 split 5:44.

I made the final turn, where I saw the clock was already 18:0x and ticking.  Just about gave up as I slogged it in a very disappointing 18:16.

Final result:  18:16, 5th overall of out 852.  1st in age group.  Full results here.


At the finish line with WTAC teammates
Keith and Bob

I was really disappointed in my finish time.  Instead of coming anywhere near close to my PR, I was a full 45 seconds off.  Felt pretty embarrassed, actually.  37 seconds slower than two weeks ago.

My anger and self-pity wore off a bit when I was leaving the finishing chute and a spectator asked me, "How old are you?!"  When I told her 58, she obviously seemed impressed, so that made me a feel a little better.  I feel that in a non-competitive race like this she would have said the same thing if I finished in 20 minutes, but I'll take it.

Went for a short cooldown timed with the awards ceremony published time of 10:45am, as I just wanted to get my award and get out of there.  Unfortunately, the ceremony was delayed until after 11 so that people in the beer line could get their beer.  I wasn't happy, but went for another jog around the block, realizing for most people beer would be a priority over an awards ceremony.

I had a bad race.  Life goes on.  Get over it, and move on to the next one.  But before I do, a reflection back on what worked and what didn't in this race:

What went well:
  • Organization of the race.  Other than the delayed awards ceremony, everything went off without a hitch.  
  • Mailing of bibs before race.  This is a really great feature, and you're ready to go race morning.
  • Clocks:  Besides at the finish line, there were digital clocks at both Mile 1 and Mile 2.  Really nice.
  • Flat course.  With an elevation of only 89 feet, this is a pretty flat course.  (75' at PLR)
  • My start.  I started the race well at least.
    Nice bib and age group award (pint glass)

    Nice giveaway to all runners

What could've gone better:
  • There were just two many turns on this course for a 5K at 15 (8 at PLR).
  • The course wasn't closed, and accordingly there were several spots where I couldn't run the tangents because a moving car was in the way.
  • There wasn't enough competition, and Matthew had warned me about this.  At PLR, the competition in my age group was so stacked that the top 4 runners were within 7 seconds of each other.  At O'Niantic, the top 4 in my age group were 6 minutes apart.
  • I gave up.  About half way in, knowing my goals were not going to be reached and having no one to push me, I just mentally resigned.

No comments:

Post a Comment