Monday, March 6, 2023

Weekly Log 27-Feb to 5-Mar-2023: Snow at Last!

Monday:  3
Stonington, CT.  Easy run with Jeff A to review the Hare Hop course for this Saturday and plan for staffing course marshals at key intersections.  Ankle swelled up a little bit more after yesterday's slight roll.  Pretty frustrating, but I'm trying to take it in good strides.

Tuesday:  3 snowshoe!
Westerly, RI.  After a lousy winter (from a snow lover's perspective), I was truly ecstatic to wake up to a blanket of the white stuff.  CCC was canceled, so instead I led a short snowshoe of three CCC'ers, plus Brady.  It was really nice to get out into Woody Hill.  So quiet, beautiful, and peaceful.
Before we even got into the car, Brady grabbed his frisbee
out of the garage and went into the front yard to frolic.

One of my CCC partners in crime,
as he prepares to go over a stream.

Brady didn't seem happy with the pace or stops,
but he seemed to keep himself occupied with hunting for sticks
and laying in the snow.

We finished just as the falling snow was turning to rain, so it was perfect timing.  Came home to shovel the driveway in the rain, but at least we got a fun snowshoe in.

Wednesday:  10
Stonington, CT.  After dropping off bibs and shirts for this coming Saturday's Hare Hop 5K, Matthew and I went to Mystic Y for a 10-mile loop through mostly quiet roads in Stonington and Groton.  This was my best run since my ankle sprain (which is still swollen, although finally no longer black and blue) two weeks ago.  I just ran according to feel and surprisingly ran all but two miles at sub-7 pace.

Thursday:  8
Hopkinton, RI.  Arcadia dirt roads with Brady.  Pretty lousy weather, but I do enjoy this route.  

Friday:  5
Charlestown, RI.  Solo Bgame campground run in between a busy day of activities.

Westerly Land Trust board meeting early, then a meeting on my next gig of making hiking trail maps, before running in Burlingame, getting a late lunch, and then off to my other relatively new gig of race director for Kelley's Pace.  What's neat about retirement is being able to work on the jobs you want to and pass on the jobs that you don't.

Saturday:  3
Charlestown, RI.  After a busy morning spent race directing the Hare Hop 5K in Mystic, I went to Burlingame Campground with Brady for an easy shakeout.  Two mile warm-up, followed by 5 strides.  I felt fine on the run, until the very end when I stepped on uneven ground and had a very minor roll of the ankle.  I had to step off the paved road to go around the gate right near the ranger station, but I should've walked.  Damn.  Went home and iced.

Inadequate training for sure, and I have pretty low expectations for tomorrow.

Sunday:  8
New Haven and Madison (cool-down), CT.  USATF-CT 5K championship.  Race report to follow.

Weekly mileage:  38 run, 3 snowshoe

Weekly synopsis:  So much fun to get out and play in the fresh snow, if only for a day.  The ankle healing is taking much longer than I had expected, but I am trying to be patient and put things in perspective.  While I'm bummed that I haven't been able to run trails in 2+ weeks now, at least I'm able to run.  My ankle is unstable, and it's just not worth risking my recovery.

Weekly highlight:  Racing the USATF-CT 5K championship.  Just fantastic!  Read my separate summary (well, once I write it, that is).

Weekly highlight:  Continued ankle swelling and instability, despite icing every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment