Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Weekly Log 21-Aug to 27-Aug-2023

Monday:  12
Exeter, RI.  First day back from cross-country trip.  Ran my "classic loop" with Brady at Arcadia, with several stream stops, a dunk in Breakheart Brook, and a swim and soak in Wood River at the check station upon completion.  Other than pesky deerflies (11 DFKs), this was a really nice run.

Tuesday:  0
Easy to find excuses not to run, and I have a few here I could list, but really it's poor planning on my part.

Tuesday evening was my debut as Race Director of Battle of Stonington 5K.  I made a few mistakes (like forgetting to order porta-jons until race day - YIKES), but scrambled and got them covered with runners none the wiser.  Race went off well with nothing but minor issues most people didn't even notice, but I certainly made some notes to help me improve next year.

Wednesday:  8
Charlestown, RI.  Ran VG loop with Brady, and then jumped off the docks in the usual spot.  A few deerflies trailing Brady in just a couple of places, but no DFKs today at all.  So that's something to celebrate.
Post-run fun at Watchaug Pond


Thursday:  8
Westerly, RI.  Wahaneeta / Woody run with Brady.  OK, so I found out the deerflies aren't completely gone, but at just 2 for this area, they certainly are waning.

Friday:  0

Saturday:  12
Charlestown, RI.  Humid, muddy, and buggy.  Extended VG loop with Brady from Burlingame campground.  Deerflies were just awful today, so hopefully they're making their last hurrah for the summer.  Mid-run we had light sprinkles, and since I was already drenched from the 95% humidity, I was hoping for a downpour, but it didn't come.  Jumped in the pond at North Camp Beach.  No one there but was surprised to see a person paddle by on a SUP.  They must have come a ways.

I didn't put back on my soaked singlet after getting out of the water and the deerflies were relentlessly taking advantage of that.  I couldn't wait to get out to Cool Spring Road, because I knew for the remaining three or so miles after that there would likely be zero deerflies.  Jumped off the docks with Brady for our final run break.  Good run overall; just miserable weather and bug conditions.

Sunday:  15 ride, 1 walk
AM:  Westerly, RI.  Ride through Avondale, Watch Hill, and Misquamicut, catching up with a few RWYC'ers before heading off to breakfast with my Mom and Mark before he returns to Georgia.

PM:  Westerly, RI.  Late afternoon walk at Avondale with Jana and Brady.

Weekly mileage:  39 run, 15 ride, 3 walk

Weekly synopsis:  Hot and steamy week, with low mileage.

Weekly highlight:  Classic run at Arcadia.

Weekly lowlight:  Deerflies.   Miserable creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment