Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Weekly Log 28-Aug to 3-Sep-2023: Labor Day weekend

Monday:  20
Westerly, RI.  I had planned a long run yesterday, with hitting the road at 6am in order to make scheduled breakfast that we had reservations for 9:30am on Mark's last vacation day here in RI.  About 8am, Jana cheekily asked me, "How did your run go?".  Yeah, not too well.  I'm just not an early morning runner.

But today I made good by redeeming that run on a day that I could start at 8am.  Loop from the house going through Weekapaug, Misquamicut, Watch Hill, Avondale, and back through Winnapaug.  Water and GU break at Weekapaug, pee break at Misquamicut State Beach, and an iced coffee break in Watch Hill.  Last two miles I was fading, but good run overall at low 7s pace.

Tuesday:  8
AM:  Groton, CT.  3 miles.  Final Brew Run planning meeting, and final run of the new course for this year.  Made mental notes during my run as to where to place course signs.  Looking forward to this race, and happy that registration in this 3rd year is the highest it's ever been at this point, with 11 days to go.

PM:  Hopkinton, RI.  5 mile.  First time back to Yawgoog trails in quite a while.  With Boy Scout summer camp season over now, I could make the loop and continue on the east side of Yawgoog Pond right through the camp.  Absolutely no one was there.  The numerous rocks on this technical run were wet and slippery, but that didn't faze my VJ shoes in any way and I was happy to run aggressively on the wet and slippery rocks.

Wednesday:  6
South Kingstown, RI.  Very humid run with Brady at Duval.  Looking forward to fall.

Thursday:  10 run, 0.5 swim
Exeter, RI.  Nice loop with Brady.  Final day of August.  

Charlestown, RI.  Just one OAB between buoys at Watchaug Pond, due to choppy waters.

Friday:  26 ride, 1 run
AM:  Westerly, RI.  Slept in ahead of a busy and long day, and deferred my planned long ride out until next week.  Rode routes I've done before, but really felt like I was struggling today.  Wind was out of the NE, so I was riding into the wind headed east on Atlantic Ave and north on Dunns Corner Bradford Road, but the wind was only about 10mph, so that can't explain all of it.  Worried how I can possibly get through 112 miles in two weeks, but there will be no need for speed there and I can take as any breaks as I want.

PM:  Charlestown, RI.  Short dash and splash with Brady at Burlingame.  Repeated jumps off the dock and swimming after the frisbee!

Saturday:  10
Westerly, RI.  "WTAC Group" run with Nick and Brady.  Third year of having a group run on the beach.  Two years ago we had 12 runners, last year 6, and this year 3.  It's an early start at 6:30am before beach goers get out there, but it was the last two years as well.  Oh well, people are busy and it's Labor Day weekend, and I had a great run catching up with Nick (Brady didn't talk much).  As Nick mentioned at the end in the ocean, "this is the best part!".  The ocean actually felt pretty warm, and certainly much warmer than the Wood River earlier this week, but always enjoyable.

Sunday:  5
Charlestown, RI.  Easy run with Brady from Burlingame boat launch on a pretty usual route for me in Burlingame South.  Post-run dip in the pond.

Weekly mileage:  61 run, 27 ride, 0.5 swim

Weekly synopsis:   Good run mileage week, including a long run.  Should have been training more on bike and swim with Ironman two weeks out, but it is what it is.  Is that a stupid expression, or what?  Anyway, the point is I know I should be spending more time swimming and even more riding, but I always favor what I enjoy the most (running) and my IM is only about finishing, not about any specific time.

Weekly highlight:  Getting in a 20-miler.

Weekly lowlight:  Only that I'm not training enough on the bike and swim, which I've addressed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment