Saturday, November 4, 2023

September 2023: Foreigner & Ironman

Trying something different here to mix it up with the blog.  I'm so far behind on the weekly blogs and have lost some interest.  I have no idea what or where I ran on September 1st or 19th (or almost any other date) and don't want to simply look up and regurgitate my Strava post for those dates.  Besides, I find I seldom look back at my weekly blog posts and if I'm looking for a particular area or route that I ran, I'm much for likely to search my Strava activities.  However, I DO refer back to my race blog reports, especially if I'm planning to run that race again, and same thing with year-end posts, trips, etc.

So, with that in mind, here is my very rough and loose plan for blog posts for at least the immediate future:
  • Monthly blog posts summarizing highlights, weekly mileage, and other factoids or items of interest to me, whether or not related to running.
  • Separate race reports on key races, races of interest, or perhaps races that I've run for the first time.
  • Trip reports.
  • Year end reports.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Running stats:
Miles run:  208
Elevation gain:  10,369'
Weekly miles (for weeks ended in month):  61, 50, 50, 30


September saw my lowest elevation gain of the year, and 2nd lowest run mileage total.  Really explainable due to both tapering for the Ironman, lighter mileage post-Ironman, and intentionally seeking flatter runs.

Primary running surfaces:  Trails (107 miles), roads (89), beach (14)
Primary running locations:  Westerly (60 miles), then Charlestown (49) and Exeter (41)

Other disciplines:
Ride:  175 miles
Swim:  3.5 miles
Walk / hike:  25 miles

Races:
New Haven 20K (Sep 4):
Second year in a row that I ran this race, and both the weather (start 73°, 93% humidity, finish 80°) and my performance (2 1/2 minutes slower at 1:20:13) declined and I got progressively slower in the heat.  So would I come back again next year for more punishment?  Likely!  Race report here



Ironman Maryland (Sep 16):
Looking back on this a month later, I have mixed feelings on this.  Am I glad I did this?  Absolutely!  It was on my bucket list for over a decade, and I'm thrilled to have accomplished this feat.  Did I enjoy it?  Not really!  My sister-in-law Caroline recently asked me which part I enjoyed the most.  Ironically, the swimming!  The 112-mile bike just wouldn't end and I got very uncomfortable in the saddle for 7 1/2 hours.  The run ... well, that was just a disaster.  But I succeeded in my only goal:  I finished, and I am an Ironman!  Would I attempt to complete another one?  Unlikely.  Race report here 
Ironman race day minus 1:
I found the amount of equipment, nutrition, and separate gear bags
needed to be a bit ridiculous and overwhelming!

Pre-swim: the only activity I would end 
up enjoying!
Grateful to be completed.  One of my biggest
supporters (Brady) ran right up to me, while
another (Jana) took the pic.  Happy to see both and
that they stuck around until 10:30pm for me to finish!

This one speaks for itself:  I am an Ironman!


Stavros Beach Run (Sep 20):
My 21st straight Stavros!  As you can deduce from above, this was just four days post-Ironman, so probably not the smartest thing to do to run a race.  But the Charlie Stavros Beach Run is one of my favorite races all year and there was no way I would miss this.  It was a beautiful clear evening at the beach, and I would be running barefoot as always.
Start of the 2023 Stavros Memorial Beach Run.
Always a fun night!


In the field of 66 this year were several young runners from the Coast Guard Academy, as well as the usual Westerly High School cross-country team runners.  As usual, the young guns took off right from the start.  At the turnaround point, I found myself in 7th place.  I gradually hunted down and passed three runners, the last being Simon Manlove with less than a mile to go.  At about 1/2 mile out, I was running about 20 seconds behind Eric Ciocca.  I've been in this position many times, and always prevailed over him, but not this year!  Had even less of a kick than usual (can I blame the IM?) and while I felt I narrowed the gap a bit, he had his own battle going on for a very close 2nd and 3rd, and I couldn't catch him.  Happy with my pace overall and results, and as always, just such a fun evening!

Splits:  6:02 (tailwind), 6:24, 6:25

Final results:  18:52, 4th overall of 66.  Full results here.

Wahaneeta 5K Trail Race (Sep 23):
This was probably another race that I shouldn't have competed at just one week out from the Ironman, and should've instead taken downtime, but of course I didn't!  (I did take downtime a week later.)  I didn't have a lot of pep in me during the race, and came in a distant 3rd behind Nick.  I'll have a brief write-up on this as part of a separate "WTAC Fall Trail Series 2023" blogpost.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Foreigner:

Started out the month with going to the Foreigner Farewell Tour at the Mohegan Sun, my first concert in several decades.  Loverboy opened for Foreigner.  I had seen Loverboy before, and thought their performance this time around was just OK.

Loverboy took the stage about 30 minutes late, and apparently
many fans either anticipated this or just skipped the warm-up
band, as the arena was only about half-full until Foreigner
took the stage.


Really enjoyable listing to the familiar hits like
"Working for the Weekend" and "Hot Girls in Love",
but many of the songs I didn't know.

Mike Reno (center) as he looked probably the last time
I saw Loverboy in concert, in the 1980s


So who is THIS guy?  Same guy.  It appears Father Time has not
been the kindest to him, but neither have Internet posts about his
weight issues, so I'll leave it alone.  Just had no idea this was the
same guy until I Googled him post-concert.

When Foreigner took the stage, it was just amazing and exhilarating!
There was so much energy as the band blasted out hit after hit
that I grew up with, including Hot Blooded, Cold as Ice,
and Juke Box Hero.

Lead singer Kelly Hansen was incredible, not only with his
vocals, but unlike Loverboy, he was running around the stage,
jumping onto and off platforms, descending from pedestals
in the middle of the crowd, and just generally very active and
entertaining.

Pretty low quality video from my cell phone, but it was so cool that during "Hot Blooded", every time those words were said, giant orange flames came up from behind the stage.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous:

Best comic of the month

Received this check in the mail early in the month
for my race results last month.  It's not about the amount of the
check, but I was just ecstatic that I won race money based on
my performance! (29:32 in USATF-NE 5M Championship,
3rd in 50-59 age group in a very competitive race.)

New trails I explored!  (with Brady)
Trap Pond State Park, Delaware

Now I love just about everything pumpkin. 
Muffins?  Donuts?  Scones?  Bread?  Bring it on!
But pumpkins spice GU?
I stuck with my usual savory flavors
for the IM.




Certainly nothing we asked for nor sought,
but it was nice to see the efforts of Jana and me
are appreciated.



New role for me this year:  Race Director for
the nascent Groton City Brew Run.  Largest race
I've ever directed (> 500 registrants this year), and I
was a little nervous as I created an entirely new
course, changed registration platform, and eliminated
paper signups and paper-based check-ins, but it all went
well and I was happy to be part of the team.


The return of September meant the return of the WLT
Thursday Walk Series, which I do enjoy coming up and with leading
hikes periodically.  This was a 5-mile RT walk from
Escoheag trailhead, with group seen here at Stepstone Falls.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Monthly highlight:  Completing an Ironman!  Close second would be watching Foreigner.

Monthly lowlight:  The bike and run for me personally at Ironman Maryland; both were so uncomfortable and never seemed to end.  Second, but not even close, would be the heat and humidity at New Haven 20K Road Race.

No comments:

Post a Comment