Monday, November 13, 2023

October 2023: Fall Trail Races & Halloween

Running stats:
Miles run:  272
Elevation gain:  18,421'
Weekly miles (for weeks ended in month):  75, 62, 24, 71, 59


October was a really solid month of running for me, even when figuring the 24-mile week, which was finally a rest week after Ironman Maryland and a few high (for me) mileage weeks.  Elevation was higher after returning to trail runs post-IM.

Primary running surfaces:  Trails (155 miles), roads (91)
Primary running locations:  Westerly (94 miles), then Charlestown (65) and Hopkinton (32)

Other disciplines:
Walk / hike:  20 miles

Races:
Norfolk Land Trust / Haystack Mountain Challenge Half Marathon (Oct 1):
Located in northwestern Connecticut, this was one of the smallest races I've ever done with a field of just 18.  High points were a technical muddy descent through streams in Mile 3, and a double-ascent and descent of Haystack Mountain.  Unfortunately, the lowpoint, at least for me, was that about 4 miles of the 13.1 trail race were on pavement.  It was a still a fun and challenging race overall, and I was thrilled to beat two Manchester competitors that I was behind for the first two miles.  Full race report.

Run for the Pumpkins 10K (Oct 7):
Good turnout of close to 100.  Our second year running the 10K option.  3rd overall in 10K.  Will have a brief write-up as part of WTAC Fall Series blog post.
Fun both running in the race and directing it.


Grills Trail Race 10M (Oct 28):
I personally believe this to be the best course out of our four WTAC trail races.  That is because it's 10 miles, two towns, no asphalt, and some really neat features, including a lot of the course along the Pawcatuck River, the Polly Coon bridge crossing, and Big Hill.  Finished 4th overall.  Brief write-up forthcoming as part of WTAC Fall Series blogpost.
Unusually hot weather today at 75°F at finish.
Otherwise a fun event.


-------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous:
Oct 4:  Jitters Cafe, Charlestown Beach
(the old Bakery)
---
I asked if they had any of the yogurt parfaits, as
that sounded good after a warm run.  The response was
that no, with summer gone they don't have them anymore.
Ordered a scone and iced latte instead, and as I was
sitting outside enjoying them, the guy who waited on
me came out with a blueberry yogurt parfait for me!  He said
he looked around and found he had all the ingredients to
make one.  I thanked him and told him I'd go back inside
shortly to pay for it.  The retort was "No, it's on us."
It's the little things like that that will keep me coming back.


Coolest wildlife shot of the month:
Oct 11 - northern watersnake sunning itself
on the dam at Browning Mill Pond

Oct 17:  this was bad, but needed to be taken care of.
Just five years ago, we had the all the siding and trim
replaced on the entire house, and then stained.
Unfortunately on the south and east sides of the home,
where the sun shines most, there was just so much chipped
and peeling stain.



They (Shoreline Painting) did a nice job, and clearly spent
the time to address trouble areas by sanding and caulking
where needed, before applying two coats of stain.  I'm told
this should last much longer than five years this time.  Time
will be the judge.

Oct 18 - Fun with Brady at Burlingame

Sammy C's

Oct 23 - The beauty of fall foliage
has once again come and gone
(Poquonnock River Walkway,
Groton, CT)

I continue to enjoy my "Thursday Hike" series
with the WLT.  Sometimes I lead the group, and
other times it's great for me to learn from others. 
It's a great group of "active seniors" (I think that's a
euphemism for old retired folks, a demographic that
I'm part of now!).  
I love that the location changes every week.
(Oct 26 - Tomaquag Brook bridge, Hopkinton)

Ah, Halloween.  Just a fun holiday.

Went with a ghost theme this year,
instead of the usual skeletons and graveyard.
Good to mix it up.

Had a fire in the driveway again, but unfortunately a 
real dearth of trick-of-treaters in recent years.  Some of that
has been the demographics of the neighborhood have changed, and
some that there are now downtown trick-or-treating events.

First time I've ever carved an owl for a
jack-o'lantern.  I'm happy with how it came out.

Looking forward, I've actually put together a draft list of potential races for 2024!  It's quite preliminary, and also doesn't yet include any consideration yet for an ultra or a few tris, but it's a start!

And that's a wrap for October.  Join me again next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment