Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Weekly Log 23-Apr to 29-Apr-2018: RI State Police 5K

Monday:  0

Tuesday:  5
Wahaneeta run into Woody Hill.  Trails in great shape.  Started my run just as Sheilia was starting hers with her three dogs.  One of them wanted to run with me.

Post-run, for the first time in a long time, I went to volunteer with the WLT CCC (Westerly Land Trust - Coffee & Clearing Club).  Just a great group of guys.  Worked on their newest property, Barlow Preserve, on Route 91.  It includes a house, several outbuildings, fields, and a swamp.  The owner passed away recently and left the 80-acre property to WLT.

Barlow Preserve: This property has fields, farmlands, woods, and swamp.

Wednesday:  6
Wilson Mountain Reservation, Dedham, MA.  Rainy and 50 degrees.  Last time I was here I had to stop my run twice due to irresponsible dog owners with unleashed dogs growling at me.  I was hoping the rain would keep those types away.  Fortunately, today, there were only two unleashed dogs, and as they were both labs, I knew all was good.
Ran 3 x "the mountain", pushing the uphills and jogging the rest.  Panting like a dog by the 3rd lap.  Need to work on my endurance.

Thursday:  5
Legs a bit tight this morning after yesterday's workout.  Kept it on flat, local roads.  Highlight of the run was a brazen coyote in Avondale, who only at the last minute stepped aside to let me run past.  Just stood on a neighboring lawn on the side of the road and stared at me.
 Continuing my wildlife encounter day,
saw this duo when walking through Wilcox Park on a coffee break.

Friday:  6
Bradford Preserve AM run, including Woody trails around the pond.
Moved into my new office today.  With views of Main Street and non-descript buildings looking
just over the state line into CT, not the most attractive in the world,
but it's functional, private, and with plenty of natural light.
The view from my desk at Fidelity in Boston.
Will probably never have a view like this again.
Just need to remind myself of the frequent 2am and
Christmas Day calls that came with that job.
Saturday:  4
Short and muddy shake-out in the Barn before heading up to Providence to watch Matthew in the Classical Classic.  Fun to watch him hit a PR in the 1500 (4:05) and an outdoor PR in the 3K (8:53).

Sunday:  8
RI State Police 5K.  Narragansett, RI

Rainy morning, but temps around 50.  Warmed up on the nearby Canonchet Trail on South County Museum grounds.  The trail was wet and muddy, with slippery bridges.  During the warm-up, I was imagining how much fun it would be if the race were on these trails instead, and how much mud carnage there would be.

Changed into dry socks and shoes, and toed the line next to Chris, with about five minutes to spare.  With the shotgun start, I conservatively followed Chris out and obviously the gap grew from there.  While I could see runners the entire race, pretty much my position was fixed after about 1/4 mile in.

A mile in, turning onto Boone Street, this would be the last time I saw Chris until the finish.  The good thing with 5Ks is that they are over very quickly, and the time just went by.  With 1/2 mile to go on Ocean Avenue, I passed the only person all race and easily went by someone in a yellow Boston Marathon shirt.  I narrowed the gap on the next set of runners, but couldn't catch them.

Very even splits of 6:00, 6:11, and 5:56, for an unflattering time of 18:46.  Much better than my Clamdigger 5K time of 19:12, but at least then I had wind as an excuse.  I don't remember being totally out of gas at today's finish, so my guess is I didn't push it hard enough.  13th overall; 1st in age group.  Full results here.
Shouldn't I cross the finish line and timing first,
then slow down and play with my watch?

Post race caught up with teammates Chris, Steve, Denise, and Way.  Shivered in the steady rain waiting for awards.  When I got back to my car, the rain was ending, and on the ride home, the sun came out.  Of course it did!
Team WTAC for the open team win!

Weekly mileage:  35

Weekly synopsis:  Mileage still low, but on the plus side I did run 6 days this week. 

Weekly highlight:  State Police 5K, including catching up with WTAC teammates.

No comments:

Post a Comment