Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Weekly Log 14-Sep to 20-Sep-2020: Newton?

Monday:  0.5 mile swim
Watchaug Pond at lunchtime.  Felt good out there!  I don't know how much longer I can keep this up as the weather gets cooler, but I hope a little longer.

After work, went to pick up my car from the Audi dealer in New London.  Finally!  It had been over three weeks now, as I had to await a part from Germany.  I forgot how much fun my car is to drive, and how fast it is as I pulled onto I-95 and was very quickly up to 80mph before backing off.

Tuesday:  3 run, 3 walk
AM:  Poor planning on my part.  Slept in on a short window already.  Nice cooler 47° run with Brady from Fallon Trail.
AM:  Followed up the short run with CCC trail maintenance work at Grills.  I had abandoned running in there in the July timeframe after a run with Matthew and Brady where we all got cut up on severe overgrowth on the white trail along edge of clear-cutting.  That's exactly the area that I led a crew of four today in clearing.

Wednesday:  7
I was meeting up with the town engineer and other leaders of the upcoming paved walking path at Bradford Preserve at 7:30am, so got there early with Brady to go for a run in the woods.  Fun run on dry trails.  The only person we encountered saw us before we saw him: a bow hunter.  Yup, like it or not, it's hunting season again.  I had safety orange on, but I need to remember to bring some for Brady as well.

It turns out construction of the Bradford Preserve paved walking path won't start until after the Run for the Pumpkins race on October 3, but we'll need to make some minor course adjustments next year and possibly this year for the three scheduled high school XC meets.

Thursday:  10
Goddard Park, Warwick, with a small section of roads into North Kingstown.  Two miles of "trails" in Goddard Park, and then the rest roads.  Was happy to run sub-7 on road portions without much exertion.
Temps in the mid 70s and I was pretty sweaty and gross.
Usually in such a situation before any work event, I'd find the
closest Y to shower and change, but with our Y membership lapsed 
during COVID, this salt water cove would have to do for
clean-up today.


I hadn't run here in some time, and it was a nice change.  I coordinated this with the first in-person work meeting since COVID.  Six of us met at a nice waterside restaurant in East Greenwich (BLU On The Water) for drinks, appetizers, some work discussion, but a lot of social catch-up.  I'm not one that misses going into the office for social interaction, but I do have to say that I really enjoyed catching up with my team.  My boss attended as well, so that should help when I submit the bill on my expense report!

Friday:  9 run, 1 walk
Grills Hopkinton and Westerly full perimeter run with Brady.  Finally, most of the summer overgrowth and all of the summer bugs are gone.  Enjoyable to get back out there.

Evening walk around the neighborhood.

Saturday:  5
Easy mix of grass fields and bike path at Ninigret, with Brady.  He wanted to go in to Li'l Nini Pond when he finished, so I went in with him for a short swim.  A girl of about 3 years old also followed us to go in, which I was nervous about, but her Dad was right there and fine with it.  She really like Brady.  Her father asked me if my next dog would be named "Newton".  Not being a football aficionado, I struggled for a moment and then a light bulb went on.
I don't get it.  Why would I name my dog after
one of my favorite snacks?

Or after a scientist, even an impressive and influential one?

Oh.  Duh.  This is the "Newton" he was referring to.
I did tell him our dog is named "Brady".


Sunday:  10
Trails to a Cure!  Separate write-up forthcoming.

Weekly mileage:  43 run, 4 walk

Weekly synopsis:  Totally fine with lesser mileage; expected that with race coming up.  In fact, I am loving racing now that it's starting to come back.  So I've run my three September races, and while a colleague already suggested a race for me next weekend, no, it's time for a little break, well just for one weekend.  Now looking ahead to October !

Weekly highlight:  Oh, too much of a softball.  The Trails to a Cure race, for sure.

Weekly lowlight:  Not getting my act together on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment