Thursday, September 10, 2020

Weekly Log 31-Aug to 6-Sep-2020: Into September

Miscellaneous ramblings:
  • Replaced our disparate patchwork of dated routers and extenders.  Bought a new wi-fi mesh system, which actually costs less than the sum of the former components, and works much better!  Focused on the top two rated, Google Nest and Amazon eero, and after much research, went with the latter.  My frequent and inconsistent very slow connections seem to be a thing of the past.  
  • This seems to be the week that so many of our necessities are broken.  Not that they all started this week, but it's come to a head with 1) dishwasher broken and slated for replacement, 2) my car is having electronic issues and is at the dealer and will likely be there for three weeks while awaiting a part from Germany since manufacturing was shut down during COVID, 3) our riding lawn mower won't start and has been in the shop for three weeks, and 4) our front faucet is broken and it's beyond me to replace as it attaches by soldering.

Monday:  0
The bad news is vacation is over and I'm back to work.
The good news is I wear shorts and a t-shirt to work,
and this is my office!  (until it gets too sunny for my computer monitors,
then I go to our indoor home office)
---
Everyone has different feelings on returning to physical workplaces,
but personally I'm hoping never to go back
to the office.  At minimum, I'm not going back until sometime in 2021,
and even then likely never five days per week again in my life.

Tuesday:  8
Matthew is back in NH now, so I've got to figure my own running with no input or joint runs.  I ask Brady where he wants to run, but he says he'd prefer trails and some water stops and/or swims, but in general he's just happy to get out for a run.

OK, how about Wahaneeta / Woody Hill?  Haven't run there in a while.  Weekday morning, 7:30am, in September - do I even need to bring a leash?  We're not going near any roads, Brady doesn't bother anyone; to the contrary, he generally tries to avoid other humans and dogs.  Leash left in the car.  Ran for 8+ miles and never saw another soul, so that worked fine.  Cooler temps in the 60s meant both of us were more comfortable.  

Ran a small part of the WHS XC course (from the upper field down).  Fed and Company have been ripping out roots and it was a nice dirt trail.  This is going to be fun and fast at both Pumpkins and WHS XC meets!

Wednesday:  9
Late afternoon solo run on wet roads.  The earlier drizzle had largely abated, and it was 67 degrees as I went for a run 'round the pond.  Sounded like a comfortable temp, but at 93% humidity, I was soaked pretty quickly.  Threw in two hard miles mid-run:  5:57 and 5:47.  I was pretty pleased, as my second mile in the same workout is almost always slower.

Thursday:  6
With Brady at Burlingame, from Kettle Pond.  In hindsight, today was not a good day to run trails.  Everything was wet from the daylong rain, the mosquitos were prolific, and there were spider webs galore.  Jumped into the pond at the boat launch.  There wasn't a single person there or on the beach.

Friday:  6
Solo hot afternoon run on local roads.  Serves me right for not running in the morning when it was cooler.

Saturday:  12
Arcadia with Brady.  Temps in the high 60s with lower humidity was a welcome change.  Knowing there would be flowing rivers every 2-4 miles, I opted not to carry a hydration pack for Brady's sake this time.  Saw a number of hikers, dogs (all friendly), and several bikers and horses, but they were mostly all near popular intersections, and I had long sections of trail like Escoheag and Breakheart where we saw no one for miles at a stretch.  

At the Frosty Hollow swimming hole near end of run, Brady went right in, while my feet turned numb in the cold water and I "had" to get out to let my feet warm up.  After that, went in full bore and went underwater, but it was a very quick in and out.  Meanwhile, while I was putting my socks and shoes back on, Brady lay down completely in the flowing frigid river.  I guess it felt good to him in his fur coat.  Speaking of feeling good, unlike previous runs here this summer when I was ready to be done, I felt great the whole time!

Sunday:  16
13 miles road, 3 miles beach.  Nice cool start of 59°, but deceptively humid.  Seven miles solo on roads, before five with the Run While You Can crew, and finished up barefoot on the beach.  Slight heel discomfort for some reason; maybe because I was wearing lightweight running shoes (890 v7, 7.2 ounces) and those are now past 300 miles?  With a mile to go to get home, jumped in the ocean to cool off and it felt heavenly.  Lingered there for quite a while diving in and out of the waves.

Weekly mileage:  58

Weekly synopsis:  Highest single run mileage (16) since early July, and highest weekly mileage since April, so that's all good.  Pretty evenly split between 3 road runs, 3 trails runs, and a part of a run on the beach.  I'm also really happy that I got in some semblance of speed work, and finally a long run.  I want to build a little more endurance.  I have two races next week, so I imagine the mileage may dip a bit.  Besides having two races next week, I also have a two-day workweek!  Bring it on.

Weekly highlight:  The Arcadia run on Saturday.  Good stuff!

Weekly lowlight:  It's a stretch, but I'd say the heel discomfort on and after today's (Sunday's) run.  I'm likely going to go back to trails tomorrow, heavier shoes, and hopefully this will go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment