Sunday, November 1, 2020

Weekly Log 26-Oct to 1-Nov-2020: Snow in October?

Miscellaneous ramblings:
  • Was very sad to hear that Sir Sean Connery died this week.  A great actor with popular film works spanning decades, including serving as the original James Bond.  90 years is a good long life, but still goes by too quickly.
  • Was driving home from dinner in Mystic Halloween night, on a dark section of Route 1 in Stonington, when three deer jumped out of "nowhere" (the woods really, of course) and onto the highway right in front of me.  Fortunately, there were no oncoming cars, so I did the best I could on such short notice, by braking hard, crossing the center line into the wrong lane, and steering towards the opposite shoulder so the deer would hit me broadside instead of a head-on collision.    It seemed to work; can't tell if one or two or all three hit me, but none fell and they all quickly scampered.
  • I have a minor dent in my rear door, some clumps of deer fur (but no blood) on my car, and the door can no longer be opened from the outside.  Life goes on.  It's a 12-year old car; I won't be taking this to the Audi dealer to fix.
  • Registration just opened for next year's Mt Washington Road Race.  I could either pay $20 for fees for registration deferment (from '20 to '21), or procrastinate until January 1, when that $20 goes to $105.  Gulp.  Signed up now lest I likely forget.
  • Speaking of 2020 races that I registered for but were cancelled due to COVID, it was not at all surprising to me that BAA just put the kibosh on holding Boston '21 in April.  Unlike London, which has already announced a Fall 2021 date, BAA is saying they will meet again before end of year to determine if Fall '21 is even feasible.  This virus will be with us for a while, folks ...
Monday:  0
Planned day off.

Tuesday:  11 run, 3 walk
AM:  Short Wahaneeta run with Brady, followed by CCC trail clearing at Crandall Preserve.  I really wish this preserve were open to the public, but as WLT President and runner Sheilia points out to me, the preserve is good for a hike but the trails really aren't long enough for a run.

PM:  Final WHS XC meet.  Setup and course breakdown.  Season was supposed to have ended last Saturday, but with a COVID positive result at opponent Prout (a student, not even an XC runner), Prout had cancelled out of that meet forcing this additional one.

Wednesday:  5
Between morning rain and a contractor coming over, I didn't get out until afternoon.  Still wet and dreary, but glad I got out.  Road, field, trail mix with Brady from the house.

Thursday:  4
Since I didn't get out for a "Workout Wednesday" yesterday, I had grandiose plans for today for a long run.  Woke up to rain and darkness, and pulled the sheets over my head.

Wimpy got out for a short rain run late afternoon.  45° and cold rain.  Just not enjoyable.  Bagged it early.  Before I make another empty promise for tomorrow morning, as of now it shows 100% chance of rain and snow early morning.  Temps supposed to dip into the 20s for the time in Westerly this year.  If it's snowing or if the rain has stopped, I'll get out there.

Friday:  5
Woke up to 32°, soaked ground, and blowing wet snow.  Passed on a morning run.  Got out late afternoon at Grills Preserve.  As I've mentioned before, I really didn't like the place when the forestry clearing initiative took place, but I do enjoy it now.  Still snowing when we arrived, but not as heavy.  Brady lead most of the way and was sprinting for parts of it.  I think he's happier in this kind of weather.

Saturday:  12
Halloween in the era of COVID.  I've always loved Halloween since a kid, but this year was obviously going to be different than any others.  The Governor of RI said no Halloween parties (lest you risk a $500 fine), no handing out of candies to trick-or-treaters (instead you should be setting them outside on a tray), and no trick-or-treating after dark (I don't get that one at all; is COVID more prevalent after dark?).

So anyway I made the best of the day.  Started out a with a run at Arcadia with Brady.  Ran the classic loop with a slight deviation near the end to run River Trail and Shelter Trail.  There was still snow on Mount Tom Trail and also on parts of Breakheart Trail, and that was just awesome.  27°, but sunny, and warmed up quickly.


Shirt I wore today.  This one brings back memories.
Had a good back and forth texting with the former
Westerly Recreation Director, who was waxing
nostalgic about he and his Mom making the hand-made
pumpkin awards back then.

On Breakheart Trail

On Mt Tom (he is sitting in the middle
of the snow-covered trail)

Start of Mt Tom Trail

Iced mocha latte cup from
Higher Grounds in Richmond
---
didn't notice the ghost (it's Halloween!) when I picked it up

Someone is very happy with the new
Halloween pumpkin toy Jana got him;
he's been carrying it around everywhere for
the past few days now


In the afternoon, I carved just one jack-o'lantern, and then we set our candy outside as prescribed by our Gov' and then went for a Halloween Land Trust hike and smores.  Went out to dinner and then when we came home, Brady and I stopped over a neighbor having a fire in his driveway (like I usually do) and lingered long enough for the soup and scotch they were serving.
Spider jack-o'lantern that I carved


Sunday:  4
Solo run on Mystic trails before attending book signing ceremony for "The Book of Kel" ('57 Boston winner John Kelley).  Sometimes called "Kelley the Younger" to differentiate him from John Kelley, 1935 and 1945 Boston winner.
I had it signed by a few of the contributors
that I know in the running community

Amby Burfoot ('68 Boston winner) kicking off the ceremony,
with Kelley in the background in front of the store that bears his name
---
I met Kelley in person but once.  It was in 2007, two days before I
ran Boston.  A Nor'easter was on the way for Marathon Day, and I stopped in the store,
and sought advice from the veteran marathoner and bought a pair of warm running
gloves from him as well.

A close-up of Kelley and his faithful running 
companion, Brutus, both in COVID mask garb.  An oft repeated story I heard
again recently was that Kelley stated he was a rules-follower,
so he always kept Brutus on a leash to comply with leash laws;
he just didn't hold the other end of the leash!


Weekly mileage:  42

Weekly synopsis:  Kind of an off week.  Didn't hit my weekly mileage goal, missed a workout completely, and with rain three consecutive days, was playing catch-up with short runs just to get something in.

Weekly highlight:  That's an easy one.  Saturday's 12 mile trail run in the snow on Halloween morning.  Just awesome.  Fingertips were cold at first at the 27° start, as I'm not acclimated to cold, but warmed up fast and just enjoyed myself out there in the beautiful woods.

Weekly lowlight:  Rainy weather (I know we need it) and me wimping out on runs because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment