Sunday, May 16, 2021

Weekly Log 10-May to 16-May-2021: Epithelialization

Monday:  0
No exercise today, which was just as well given that 1) I'm still sore from Shad Bloom 2 days ago, and 2) Mark came home for a 10-day visit, before starting his first full-time job.  After getting his MS in Marine Biology from Texas A&M, he received two offers, one for a Fisheries Observer in Point Judith, RI and the other for a Biologist Scientist with Florida Fish & Wildlife.  While I was hopeful he'd accept the former, that's only for selfish reasons and I understand his reasonings for the job preference on the latter.

Tuesday:  8
My Tuesday morning routine used to be going to CCC (30 minutes coffee hour, 2 hours working or leading task du jour).  That is on pause for a while, as my Tuesday mornings are now spent with my new friends at the Westerly Hospital Wound Care Center.

The word of the day week is "epithelialization".  This term refers to the most important part of the wound healing process, where cells start to migrate upwards and repair the wound.  Yay!  Today is three weeks out from my second surgery, and is the first day that has shown progress.  The amount of slough and dead tissue is reduced, which is a prerequisite to wound healing, and while the dimensions of the wound have not yet shrunk, the edges of the wound are starting to heal.  I think the medical staff was more excited than I was, and I was excited that they were excited to see this!

Today's session was shorter and much less painful, so since I had blocked off the morning for recovery, I popped a couple of Vitamin I tablets and took Brady to Burlingame for a loop on the VG Trail.  Sunny, warm, singlet, and renewed optimism in my thoughts all contributed to a great run!

Wednesday:  5
Post-work run at Grills, with Brady.  After a stressful day, I was especially thrilled not to see anyone else parked in the lot or in the preserve at all.  Not being selfish (or am I?), but I just needed some down time.

Thursday:  0
Tough, stressful day at work, followed by a family dinner, and then WTAC final board meeting before September.  Unfortunately did not have a window for running today.
This bathroom door label made me chuckle.
(Mangos Pizza, Mystic)
Fortunately I did not encounter any triceratops (?)
inside the bathroom.


Friday:  5
Post-work run from the house.  Why I thought it would be a good idea to run on Tank Road at 5pm on a warm sunny Friday was beyond me.  Cars driving very fast and I had to constantly pull Brady's leash very tight so he was almost up against me.  So glad to get off the road and run grass fields (recently WLT mowed a perimeter trail!) at WFP and trails at Champlin.

Saturday:  10
Burlingame loop with Brady.  Now that it's mid-May, I guess I need to get started a little earlier.  It was 58° at the start, which isn't bad, but unfortunately 70° when we finished and I sure haven't acclimatized.  Stopped at rivers, streams, and Watchaug Pond when we could, but some of the streams will dry up soon.

Sunday:  16
Soapstone Mountain 24K.  Separate write-up to follow soon.

Weekly mileage:  44

Weekly synopsis:  A pretty good running week overall.  Mileage is starting to come back, and if it weren't for other commitments, would have been the first 50+ week in a while.  Next week!

Weekly highlight:  Evidence of wound healing!  I was getting impatient.

Weekly lowlight:  Soapstone Mountain 24K.  Nothing at all against the race, but I wasn't sufficiently prepared and I suffered.

No comments:

Post a Comment