Thursday, May 27, 2021

Weekly Log 17-May to 23-May-2021: Mixed Bag

Miscellaneous rambling:
  • Nearly all businesses and facilities I go into now no longer require masks for those fully vaccinated, and I am really enjoying that.  This includes supermarkets, restaurants, coffee shops, and even my own employer.  The only exception thus far is the hospital, which I guess is understandable.
  • So many races are now returning in person, especially with so many COVID restrictions lifted.  Even the Blessing is now back in person, just as of this week!  So many races that I want to run, but I'm trying to dial it back at least a little so I'm not racing every weekend and burn out.  My race schedule for next two months is mostly locked down now:  2021 events
Monday:  0
Absolutely horrible day at work.  Difficult personnel situation that didn't end well.  Sometimes I really dislike corporate work.  But at least for moment, it pays the bills.

Tuesday:  8
Woody Hill run from Bradford Preserve, with Matthew and Brady.  Felt very warm out there.

Wednesday:  7 run, 3 hike
AM:  Barn Island with Matthew and Brady.  

PM:  Family hike at Pack Monadnock, Miller State Park, NH.  Unusually warm 84° mid-May day.  We had originally planned to hike Mount Monadnock until we found out that dogs are not allowed there.  That would have been a longer hike, so probably just as well given the heat.
The first part of our hike was pretty technical.
Glad the whole family was able to get in on the hike.
The tower was open, and Ernie let us
come up into the top and look around.


Thursday:  8
First time running the 'Round the Pond loop in quite a while.  Solo run.  Today's temps were a little cooler, in the mid-60s late afternoon when I ran.  Still felt warm and came back with my singlet and hat both sweat-soaked, but it didn't feel as hot as past few days.  Felt pretty good overall and dropped two sub-6:20 miles on Atlantic Avenue without much effort, so happy with that.

Friday:  2
Pretty pathetic.  I know.  Just stretching the legs more than anything, and happy that the work week is finally over.  Short loop at Woody.

Saturday:  8
Burlingame North with Brady and Matthew.  Four miles north of Buckeye Brook, four miles south.  The single-track down to the makeshift campsites along the Pawcatuck River is starting to get overgrown for the summer season.  Got a thorn and splinter in my thumb that swelled up.  Sweaty.
Such a welcome sight to see at The Bakery.
I am so done with masks, and yes, I'm fully vaccinated.


Sunday:  10
Between excessive heat and an unusual Sunday that I had to work for a Disaster Recovery drill, set my alarm early for 6am to get out there.  Ran with Brady on Yawgoog and Green Falls trails.  One added advantage of the early hour was that were almost no humans out there!

Weekly mileage:  44 run, 3 hike

Weekly synopsis:  
  • Running-wise, pretty good.  I'm still off my arbitrary goal of 55 mpw, but not by too much.
  • Work-wise, terrible.  When you're literally losing sleep over work and personnel issues, something is wrong.
  • Health-wise, encouraging.  For the second straight week, a lot of progress is being seen, and my wound care attendants feel that my running and active lifestyle plays a role.
  • Family-wise, while Mark has now returned to Florida, it was great to get in some in-person time with the whole family this week.

Weekly highlight:  Having the whole family together for a hike in NH.

Weekly lowlight:  Stressful work issues.  I need to do better about not letting issues both me.

No comments:

Post a Comment