Friday, January 21, 2022

Hangover Classic

 
Bristol, RI
Saturday, January 1, 2022

Way back in 2021 (actually less than 24 hours prior to race), I received a notification that the impending Frostbite 5-Miler in Mystic slated for January 8th was being canceled for COVID related reasons.  Disappointing, but a sign of the times, and unfortunately amidst the raging Omicron variant.  So now what?  Well, it turns out there was another 5-miler going on the very next day (New Year's Day) and registration was still open for a few more hours.

This was a last minute entry, but I was in.  Same race distance, just a longer drive at over an hour versus the short 20-minute trip to Mystic.  

A very warm New Year's Day at 49° but also foggy with drizzle.  Roads were completely wet with a few small puddles.  Should have warmed up more, but with a later departure than planned, plus repeat trips to the bathroom (don't worry, no additional details!), I just got in a mile and a quarter with spectator Matthew before catching up with other runners I knew (Steve Brightman, Mike Daniels, Dan Hawkins, Bob Segal) and toeing the line.
About to start the race.  I'm on front line in green singlet,
at race director's (white jacket) left outstretched arm.

Mile 1:  We waited for the word from Bristol Police to gather in the street, and we were quickly off and running for a punctual 10:30am race start.  Almost all of the first mile was on asphalt roads (Poppasquash Road - most interesting name) and pancake flat.  When we turned off the road onto a paved bike path, there was a course marshal there and you couldn't go wrong.  Kept the leaders in sight but was already running very fast and didn't get sucked in.  Mile 1 split 5:34.
Very early on in race, with cove in background.
Mike D in front (with cap), Steve Brightman just in front
of me before he pulls light years ahead.
(Pic by Jana)


Mile 2:  Paved bike path down to and along the water.  It's probably very pretty here on a clear day, but today is far from clear.  Dan Hawkins passed me early in this mile, and I had no challenge, knowing he is typically a faster runner than me.  The mile finished with a 20' hill.  Mile split 5:55.
Early in the second mile, trailing Dan Hawkins.

Same spot, hill down to the water and another bike path.

Mile 3:  Almost entirely flat along the water again, with a small bump of a hill at the end of the mile turning away from the waterfront.  There were mile markers at each mile.  My slowest mile at 6:04.  With my current 5-mile PR at 29:26 (Bobby Doyle 2015), I figured a PR was not in the cards today, but I would push and try to get sub-30.
Good to know.  Sign of the times shirt, I guess.

Can't vouch for his running abilities,
but this gentleman clearly has good musical taste!
I made sure I told him so post-race.

Mile 4:  I was able to pick it up just a little bit here.  Bike path through the woods, with two very small 30' hills.  (As opposed to very big 30' hills?)  Mile split 5:49.

Mile 5:  We're back on the wet roads now.  I try to push it, but I just don't have much left in the tank.  You can see a long ways now as we're running along the cove, and the finish line is directly across the cove.  The road seems to go on forever, as I keep looking for that final turnoff onto the East Bay Bike Path.  A teenager goes past me here.  I'm not retaking him, but I at least try to tag along for the ride.  Finally I see the police car, and the turnoff.  Hard right onto the bike path, and sprint(?) or at least run as fast as I can to the finish.  As I pass the awkward section with broken shells, I can see the clock now at 29 minutes flat and I feel comfortable for the first time that I actually am going to get a new PR.  Final mile split a sluggish 5:59.
It's not obvious, but the debris on the bike path
in this section, especially about 3 o'clock in pic,
is broken shells of mollusks,
presumably dropped by seagulls.
Very awkward to race over.



Final strides on the wet bike path, just before finish.



Final results:  29:18, 9th out of 289, 2nd in age group.  PR!!  Full results here.

Someone is very excited to see me at the finish.  In fact, I could hear Brady as I was approaching the finish line.  He must have been watching the race!  
Watching the race unfold.

Time for my run!


Quick amusing story that added to my excitement over my new PR:  a couple minutes after finishing, a young guy (mid 20s?) came up to me and said that at race start, he was sizing up the competition and thought he would line up next to me and try to run with me.  Then he apparently thought better of it, as he said to himself, "This guy [me] looks fast AF!".  Obviously, there are plenty of 20-somethings (and runners of most age groups) that could leave me in the dust, but this was pretty funny and complimentary that he would share this with me.  He was targeting 6:50s, which he succeeded at, and we had a good conversation post-race as he was asking me about my marathon experiences and strategies.

Cooled down with Matthew and Brady for a couple of miles, and then called it a day before heading back.

No comments:

Post a Comment