Thursday, January 6, 2022

Weekly Log 27-Dec-2021 to 2-Jan-2022: Closing out the Year

Miscellaneous rambling:
  • Replaced our 15-year old 42" plasma 720 DPI TV with a new 50" LED 4K TV.  Back then I shelled out two grand.  Of course the technology and resolution has improved, but what's surprising is the level of price reduction, as we paid less than 1/5 of that amount today.
  • Like many people, I'm really weary of the COVID pandemic dragging on and now worsening.  Just when I thought we put the masks away for good (except medical and public transport), we now have a mask mandate (again!) in RI for at least 30 days.  No, I'm not anti-vax (fully vaccinated plus booster), and yes, I'll put the mask on without argument if enforced, but just tired of it and find them uncomfortable and difficult to breathe and talk in.
  • At Stop & Shop deli last week (while dutifully wearing my mask), I ordered "white cheddar".  Fortunately I was paying attention and stopped the deli clerk when he inserted some weird white and pink pork roll into the slicer and I asked, "Excuse me, what is that?".  The "porchetta" that you asked for.  Ugh.  Took off my mask, and said, "White cheddar, not porchetta".  I blame the mask, not the employee.

White cheddar, please.  Not porchetta.

The only silver lining to Omicron and these
new restrictions is that our January 10
return to office date is likely to get postponed.  Again.

Monday:  8
So nice to have the full week off.  Slept in, took care of household chores, and went to Arcadia with Matthew.  (Brady is recovering at home from some type of leg injury; hopefully a short duration.)

Mixed roads and trails.  35° and cloudy, but warmed up very quickly.

Tuesday:  11 run, 1 walk
AM:  CCC stone wall clearing at Barlow

PM:  Border Patrol Challenge - #2 of 19 - Li'l Rhody course.  1.5 warm-up, 2.5 cool-down.  Late afternoon hard run.  Zoned out a few miles in, and had to remind myself to pick up the pace.  Pretty muddy and slick in many places.   Slid often, but remained vertical.  Hard road finish at 5:40 pace.  Post-run adverse effect of gross hematuria.  Hopefully gone by the morning.

Wednesday:  10
Blood issue is gone for me.  Brady is still limping, so no running for him.  Road and trail mixer, from Meadowbrook Pond, through Carter Preserve, Route 112, Pine Hill Road, and back North-South Trail.  I was really dragging on this run.

Thursday:  16 run, 7 walk
Long run / workout.  Two hard sections (4-mile and 3-mile) mixed in with target 6:15 pace.  This was hard work, but I hit my target with the exception of final mile, which had a 70' hill (excuses, excuses!).  

Grateful to Tommy 5K for coming out with me for the first half of this run.

Jana and I went for a Westerly Land Trust group hike at Great Swamp Management Area.  It turned out to be a little longer than intended as the hike leader got off course from her intended route.  She felt badly, but it's all good to get outside and get some exercise.

Late afternoon I took Brady for a walk at Avondale.  Still no running for him.  :(

Friday:  6
Easy recovery on dirt roads at Great Swamp with Matthew.

Sign at entrance to TLC Coffee Shop,
Kingston (and Java Madness in SK,
and Custom House Coffee, Middletown).
Personally, I enjoy going to establishments like this
where I can show my vaccination proof in lieu of a mask.

The other cool feature of TLC Coffee:
self-serve iced coffee with at least 20 different flavors.

Lobster Trap Christmas Tree, Stonington Borough
Visited here on New Year's Eve with the family.  Pretty neat!

Saturday:  8
New Year's Day.
Colt State Park, Bristol, RI.  Hangover Classic 5-Miler.  Separate write-up to follow.

Sunday:  7
Haley Farm State Park, Groton, CT.  Brady's first run with me (and Matthew) since his injury Christmas night.  Much to my relief, he seems fully healed.  Surprisingly very sore from yesterday's 5-mile race.  (Me, not Brady.)  Very muddy out there today.  The three of us came home pretty dirty, and all needed baths, including Brady.

Weekly mileage:  65

Weekly synopsis:  Highest mileage week since Philly Marathon.  Time to start the build-up towards a spring marathon now.  This was a good running week, with both the mileage and getting a workout in.

Weekly highlight:  Hangover Classic race.

Weekly lowlight:  The end of a 12-day year-end vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment