Friday, May 12, 2023

Providence Marathon 2023


Providence, RI
Sunday, May 7, 2023 

My spring marathon did not go as hoped.  It was a very warm day out there, and I wilted.  In retrospect, I'm thinking to myself, well, that's what I get for signing up for a full marathon in May, but it's not quite that simple.  I originally had designs on running the Shamrock Marathon in mid-March, but for several reasons, including a bad ankle sprain in February, I opted not to run that.  Next I was looking at St Lawrence Marathon in April, but my passport was expiring, and I was afraid I wouldn't get it renewed in time.  So with the option to get a complimentary "elite" entry at Providence, based on my advanced age and marathon time, Providence it is.
Swag was a nice thick sweatshirt,
all complimentary,
and this was my first ever "elite" bib,
with the "EL" designation on the bib
getting me on the starting line,
ahead of corrals A through E.

This would be my third Providence Marathon.  The previous two being:
2009:  3:21:57
2013:  2:59:20 (my first ever sub-3)

Three months post-sprained ankle, it's still not fully heal, but doesn't bother me at all on roads.  However, between some training downtime lost and not having the focus I did for Detroit last fall, I had zero expectations on being able to beat my PR time at Detroit of 2:47:57.  On the starting line at Providence, when Mike Daniels asked me what my target was, I said low 2:50s, but really 2:50 would be my goal.  When I asked him if his target was about 2:40, he said closer to 2:38, but he'd play it by ear, especially with the weather.

Weather indeed would be the factor of the day.  Arriving in Providence, my car thermometer showed 59°F, and there was nothing but bright sunshine the entire marathon.  Not a cloud in the sky.  Providence Marathon has a "rolling hills" profile, but really there are hills between miles 2-9 and 20-24 and the rest is pretty flat.

Race start to Mile 5:  My elite bib got me right on the starting line, which was pretty cool.  At the gun, Mike Daniels and a guy in very bright yellow tights (think Big Bird) took out the lead, with the rest of us trailing behind.  
Start of the marathon.  I'm second from the right on the starting line,
with light blue cap.


Unbeknownst to me, somewhere behind me in the crowded mid-pack, runners went up on the sidewalk, and there lay an unfortunate trap that unfairly snagged a runner.  Apparently the city had cut down a metal sign post, but left quite a bit of it still exposed, which a runner ran into, and fell with his bloodied injured leg.
Yikes.  It looks like somebody in Public Works really screwed up.
(The cone was NOT there until post injury.)

Meanwhile, I ran in a fast pack while I was oblivious of my own unsustainable pace.  Flat and fast down South Main Street, my watch showed me the error of my ways with my Mile 1 split:  5:50.  Nothing would (or should) come close to that for the rest of the race, not even downhill miles.
In this pack for the first mile or so only,
before it broke up.  The guy on my right
was back and forth with me quite a bit.


The first five miles were largely flat and uneventful.  I felt strong and three out of my next four miles (Miles 2, 4, and 5) were run in a 6:07 split, with Mile 3 not far off in 6:14.  Just after crossing the Henderson Bridge from Providence into East Providence in Mile 4, I was surprised to see, catch up to, and pass "yellow tights".  Shirtless and yellow tights, and odd combination on any today, but I can't imagine wearing tights on a warm day like today, especially for one of the original race leaders.  As I passed him, I wondered if he would come back to get me soon, but it was not to be the case as I later saw the 20-year old finished just after four hours.  

Miles 6 - 10:  Still felt good in this next section, even with two hills, a 60' and then a 100' climb.  It was on the first hill in East Providence that I started to catch the early start runners, a wave that started an hour earlier at 6:30am and was targeted at those with a pace of 14 minutes or slower.  On one of the hill climbs, I noticed two women, each wearing tights, long shirt, and had their Providence Marathon heavy sweatshirt wrapped around their waist.  To each his own, but I'm thinking they were regretting this already and had a long way to slog those heavy clothes around.  Then I went around the next bend and passed a male runner wearing a zip-up jacket.  Seriously?

Slightly slower than first five miles, but closer to my target range with splits of:  6:14, 6:17, 6:22, 6:07, 6:15.

Miles 10 - 15:  Was starting to feel really warm now.  A bit dehydrated as well.  I had been drinking at every single aid station, but I couldn't get enough fluids in this heat.  I liked that they eliminated the little turnaround in Riverside.  It wasn't a cone turnaround, but you did quickly get turned around and loop back onto where just ran.

I realized my goals would need an adjustment in this heat.  When another runner caught up to me and asked what my target goal was, I said that it originally it was about a 2:50, but as I'm already slowing down, I would now be happy with anything sub-3.  He said he was going for a 2:45, so I wished him luck (it looks like he finished in 2:56).

In Barrington, headed towards the half turnaround mark, I was very surprised when we crossed over a timing mat at about 12.7 miles.  What an odd place for a timing mat.  Why not have one at the halfway mark instead?  Or would there be one there also?


There had been a mile marker at every mile thus far.  There was no sign, marker, or timing mat at the actual half.  That was disappointing.  No big deal I guess.  Feeling very warm now and having doubts of my ability to finish this marathon without walking, I seriously entertained the notion of just dropping out.  But either way I was still in Barrington, a good 13 miles away from Providence, and it would be a long way back.  I guess that was fortunate as I couldn't just jump off course and quickly cut to the finish in a mile or two.  So I trudged on.  Since there was no sign or clock at the finish, another runner asked me if I knew the time and approximate pace for the half.  I told him I went through the half in about 1:23, for an average pace of about 6:20.  One early start runner I passed just before the half told me I was 26th.

Splits in this section:  6:21, 6:42, 6:46, 6:36, 7:06.

Miles 16 - 20:  Despite being mostly on a linear bike path for these five miles, I continue to slow.   Quite a few runners are passing me now.  This is depressing.  I wonder if my finishing time will even be sub-3:20.  The few spots of shade and bridge underpasses are a temporary reprieve until we go back out into the full sun again.  

We go out onto a long causeway jutting into the Providence River.  The upside is nice views, including the Pomham Rocks Lighthouse.  The downside is it's all open direct sunlight beating down on you here.  At the 20-mile mark, we can see the Providence skyline including the state house (finish area), but much like being able to see the Citgo sign from Boston College (Mile 21 in the Boston Marathon), we still have a long ways to go.

Splits are getting ugly:  6:58, 7:11, 7:05, 6:51, 7:08.

Miles 21 - Finish:  Any thoughts of quitting are now gone, but it's certainly not getting any easier.  I pass several marathoners now that are walking, and I have to remind myself not to even think about it, as enticing as it looks.  I try a few times to spit, but my throat is so dry I have trouble to get up the dry saliva.  

The final "big" hill of 70' is really not an issue, especially at the 7+ minute pace I'm running.  Even with a 50' drop in Mile 22, I still can't run sub-7.  We cross back into Providence on the Henderson Bridge, and I notice one more marathoner walking and one stopped stretching his leg and looking in pain.  One of the early lead pack runners comes back to me and I pass him just as we merge with the half marathoners for the last three miles.
Probably about three miles to go here.
This guy behind will go back and forth with
me many times, but I just let him go,
especially he's obviously not in my age group.


Now that we've merged with the half marathoners, and these are half marathoners finishing in about 2:30 or about 11-minute pace, I make to stay clear to the right of these runners to avoid weaving.  We run in the left lane of the street, which is closed and coned off, and at times I run into the open lane of traffic to give myself plenty of room.  This strategy works until ...

With two miles to go, we leave the road and enter India Point Park for about 1/2 mile.  Going out, we went on the parallel road (India Road), so why we're running through the park with crowds of half marathoners is beyond me.  There is a water stop that I desperately need, but since the half marathoners stop to get water, I can't get any water unless I'm willing to stop as well.  Ugh.  My legs are rubbery and I have to be real careful as we go over the short cobblestone and gravel path sections, and I'm happy when we get back onto the road, where I also have more room again.


Mixed in with the back-of-the-pack
half marathoners (red bibs) now.  The anguished
look on my face and form breaking down reflect
that I'm just trying to stay running and finish
at this point.


One mile to go as we turn north again for the final stretch.  Slow mile splits to the end, but actually not as slow as the 8-9 minute finishing paces I feared:  7:28, 7:12, 7:15, 7:42, 7:26, 7:08.


So good to be done.  Official time 2:59:16.
(the clock here is for the half-marathoners,
who started 1/2 hour later than me)



Final result:  2:59:16, 39th overall of 1,644, 2nd of 150 in age group

I finish and am beat and very dehydrated.  It's 70°F now.  I'm sore and in pain, but know I need to address my dehydration and get some food.  At the finish, they have a cold wet facecloth that feels like heaven and I keep it on my head.  They give me a water and half a liter of Gatorade Fit, both reasonably cold.  I drain both of them pretty quickly, and head for some food.
Done.  Cooked.  Beat.
Using the ice cold washcloth to cool off the head
and face.
(These two photos courtesy of Robin Kerwin)

This cold wet facecloth feels so good, that I decide
to just keep it on my head.

The setup is twenty different vendors spread out on the field between the Amtrak station (finish line) and Providence Place Mall.  The first station is advertising ice cold fresh lemonade.  Oh, that's sounds amazing about now.  I go up to get my lemonade, only to be told that they've run out.  I am so disappointed.  Run out already?   Clearly they didn't plan that one well, as 97% of marathoners haven't even finished yet.

OK, one to the next one.  Chocolate.  Long line for a small bite-sized sample.  I'll pass.  On to next one.  Newport Chowder Company.  OK, that sounds good.  I go up there, and the woman at the Newport Chowder Company tent tells me that chowder is across the field at their food truck parked near the Providence Place Mall.  OK, here we go.  At the food truck, they offer me a choice of seafood chowder or corn chowder.  I'll take the seafood for some protein.  Did I want a full bowl?  Whatever you are offering for runners.  Oh, for runners, it's a sample size (think those small plastic containers that you get salad dressing in at some take-out restaurants).  I empty that in my mouth.  Not very satisfying.  Adjacent is a food truck offering "Hawaiian style poke".  OK, that sounds good.  They have chicken or tuna, so I go with the tuna.  I hadn't realized the tuna would be raw, which is usually just fine or even preferred, but my stomach wants nothing to do with it.  I have a few pieces of tuna and some rice, and dump in the rest.

Meanwhile, out of nowhere, the guy who beat me today (Mike Dolan from Hamden, CT) comes up to talk to me.  It turns out he beat me by four seconds to win our age group.  We talk a bit, and he brings up the New Haven 20K road race, and asked me if I've even run that.  Why yes, just last year, and likely this year as well.  He's the race director.  His name sounds familiar and afterwards I Google him and find that I just barely beat him at the USATF-CT 5K championships two months ago, with my 17:40 to his 17:47.

I am feeling really weak and make the mistake of lying down in the shade, part on grass and part on sidewalk.  I realize I have to get moving.  I am equidistant now to my car and the where the other vendors are.  I figure they're all just small samples as well, so I struggle to my feet with a few groans and head to the parking garage and leave.  My water bottle is still iced cold as I have my third large drink before finishing that.  I stop at a DD on the way out and get a frozen coffee and a turkey, egg, and cheese sandwich.  Arriving back home, it's a real struggle for me to get out of the car.  Pain and spasms in my legs.  I want to take a shower, but that requires getting up a staircase, so I make it to the couch while Jana gets me some ice, more fluids, and proper food.

I am in pain for the rest of the day.  Not just sore, but in pain.  Some of my very early marathons were like this, but nothing in recent years.  What gives?  I wonder to myself if dehydration is a factor, so I Google it, and learn that dehydration can not only cause muscle pain, but also spasms.  OK, that explains a lot.

Not to be gross, but in classic dehydration mode, besides the muscle spasms and pains, despite drinking so much fluid, it will be seven hours before I can pee and when I do, it is VERY concentrated.

Here are my thoughts on went well and what could have gone better:

What went well (chronologically):
  • First and foremost, I'm thankful to the Providence Marathon for having age-graded standards for their "elite" complimentary entries.  That is a nice feature.  My first ever.
  • Sweatshirt was a nice change and a quality one that I will wear.  Separate designs for full and half.
  • Plenty of communication from Providence Marathon before and after event.
  • Efficient check-in process.
  • Parking just a short walk to / from the start and finish line.  And only $2!
  • Plenty of porta-jons at start, resulting in short lines (mine was about five deep only).
  • Plenty of room for strides post-start.  
  • Being invited to start on the front line (with elite bib) was a treat to me!
  • Mile markers at every mile.
  • Roads closed for first few and last few miles, then lane or partial lane closures were sufficient.
  • Free pictures!  With ability to add your name and finishing time just by clicking a button.
  • Cold, wet facecloth handed out at finish after immediately taken out of ice water.  That was heavenly!
  • Nice medal at finish, nearly 4" in diameter:  



What could have gone better (again, chronologically):
  • One of my biggest gripes is that I just couldn't get enough water or Gatorade at stations, and this led to my dehydration issues.  Certainly the event can't anticipate the weather, BUT knowing it was a hot day, giving out fluids in small Dixie cups and filling them only half-full meant that sometimes after inevitable sloshing I would only get about one fluid ounce of liquids:


  • Someone screwed up and placed the half way (13.1M) mats at the old course halfway mark, which was about 12.7M.  Not a huge deal, and undoubtedly just a one-time mistake, but it didn't give me a true halfway reading and just made me look even dumber (is that possible?) as several people commented on how fast my first half was based on this:
  • Lies!  Well, the full course time is correct, but the 13.1 Split is actually my 12.7M split.  I went through 13.1M in 1:23:xx.

  • Being forced into India Point Park in Mile 25, onto awkward cobblestones and so crowded with back-of-the-pack half-marathoners that you couldn't take much needed water unless you were willing to stop as they were.
  • Small sample sizes of vendor food and drink, with some stations having already run out.  I just finished a marathon in the heat; I need some serious food and drink replenishment, not vendor samples.

Marathon #23 is in the books.  This one did not go well for me.  Onwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment