Sunday, May 21, 2023

Weekly Log 8-May to 14-May-2023: Post Marathon Down Week

Monday:  0
First day with zero activity in almost three months, since February 17.  That was the day after my bad ankle sprain, and today was the day after Providence Marathon.  I am very sore today.  Which is better than yesterday afternoon, when I just in a lot of pain.

Tuesday:  3 run, 1 walk
AM:  Groton, CT.  Finished my hiking map project last week.  Today working on my RD gig for Groton City Brew Run.  I had done my homework before today's race committee meeting, and had samples ready for review and discussion for both bibs and a potential alternate course showcasing the nice waterviews on the peninsula.  

Pre-meeting at Eastern Point Beach, I solo ran the course I mapped out to be able to talk to it.  Good thing I did, as I found a couple of issues:  1) didn't realize one road I mapped out was a one-way road going the opposite direction, and 2) the final turn I proposed was very awkward as about 135° turn, and this is while going downhill!  The first issue is pending whether the Groton police will allow it, and the second one will need a reroute.  I'm up for it!

Legs still sore on the run, but just took it easy and it got a little better as I went on.

PM:  Westerly, RI.  Late afternoon easy walk with Brady at Wahaneeta.

Wednesday:  6
Charlestown, RI.  Burlingame run with  far behind Matthew and Brady.  Still sore three days now post-marathon.  Finished the run and went for a dip in Watchaug Pond.  Slowly waded in to my thighs.  Felt pretty cold but then got used to it and dove under before coming out in the sun.  First of many post-run dips this year.

Thursday:  6
Westerly, RI.  Final monthly WTAC board meeting before adjourning for the summer.  Gathered beforehand with three others (Dave, Matt, Justin) for a trail run in Woody Hill.  There were so many bikers out there enjoying the trails, including see Jonny twice.  En route, we inspected the changes to the "Never Tomorrow" trail as that is used on the new Pumpkins 10K course.  Lots of new twisty switchbacks in that, we'll have to evaluate what works best for own course.  Side note: I always incorrectly think of the trail as "Tomorrow Never Dies" with the James Bond reference.  I'm assuming the former is a beer reference?

Friday:  6
Charlestown, RI.  A very warm morning run in Burlingame from Kings Factory Road trailhead, with Brady.  My impetus for getting out "early" (8am) was only because I had a Land Trust meeting from 10-12, but in retrospect so glad I did get out early as likely would have bailed in the midday heat (mid 70s).

Anyways, ran the first 3-ish miles on Sammy C's.  This was my first tech trail run since the ankle sprain three months ago.  I found myself subconsciously favoring my left (good) ankle, especially when landing from jumps off rocks.  I'll need to work on that, but otherwise no issues.
Today's afternoon project was putting in a new row
of arborvitaes.

More for property line demarcation with the neighbor than privacy,
although as these grow we'll get that as well.  We moved in
and had the property surveyed 21 years ago (can't believe it's
been that long!), so why did I wait until now?  Probably because
this is the first full year that I'm retired, and I have more time
for projects like this now.


Saturday:  11
Westerly, RI.  WTAC group run.  Nice group of ten.  First mile (pre-run) solo, then three miles with Bob Kerwin, catching up on everything from last weekend's Providence (full for me, half for Bob) to upcoming run and tri plans, then 7 miles with fast young runners Jake, Nick T, and Nick C.

Nice route picked out by Kim, including beach in Watch Hill at low tide.  Egg and cheese sandwich at Bay Street Deli exceeded my expectations, and it was good to catch up with the six others that gathered post-run.

Sunday:  7
Exeter, RI.  Arcadia dirt road / single-track mix with Matthew and Brady.  Wasn't sure if the place would be busy on a warm Sunday spring morning, but we encountered only two groups of hikers while out there.  The first was a couple we came up from behind on JB Hudson Trail, and they gave room and were friendly.  And then there was the second group:  we're on Mt Tom Trail east of the check station, headed toward a group of 6-8 older woman who are walking our way.  Matthew is in front of Brady and me but I have clear view and am wondering why the lead woman is blocking the entire trail and thus far not giving Matthew any room at all.  I keep thinking she's going to move aside, but no!  Only when Matthew is right in her face, does she appear to stumble, appear dazed, and finally gives room.  As I come up to her, she gives me a disgusted look.  Lady, 1) pay attention and know your surroundings!, and 2) share the trail!  Frustrating.

The rest of the run was good.  The ascent up the mighty Mount Tom was harder than I expected.  I need to get more technically and hilly trail runs in.

Weekly mileage:  38 run, 1 walk

Weekly synopsis:  Normally this mileage would be pretty pitiful for me, and puts me behind towards my yearly goal of 3K miles, but this was a marathon recovery week.  And a tough draining marathon in the heat at that!  So I'm totally fine with this as a recovery week.  As long as I bump the mileage back up, get in some quality trail runs, and also start sprinkling in some swims and rides.  A tall order, but I have confidence!

Weekly highlight:  Kim's planned group run.  Fun to run on the beach and great to catch up over coffee and food post-run.

Weekly lowlight:  The old lady that wouldn't get out of the way or even give us any room on today's trail run.  I guess if that's the worst I have to complain about this week ...

No comments:

Post a Comment