Sunday, May 7, 2023

Weekly Log 1-May to 7-May-2023: Taper Week

Very easy, low mileage week leading into Sunday's marathon.

Monday:  1 walk
Westerly, RI.  Late afternoon walk with Brady at Wahaneeta.  Intentionally did not run as trying to keep the mileage low and easy leading into Providence Marathon on Sunday.
Now what do I do?  I carried my stick for a while, but now
it got stuck in the bridge because it's not wide enough.

Tuesday:  1 walk, 3 run
AM:  Westerly, RI.   Today's CCC session was a continuation of the effort to clear the new trail at Grills paralleling the white and wet trail, which may be closed seasonally going forward.

PM:  Westerly, RI.  Returned to Grills late afternoon with Brady for an easy run.

Wednesday:  5 walk, 7 run
AM:  Charlestown, RI.  Met with four of the local ham radio team to review the LRR 4-Mile course.  They have been at Clamdigger for years providing monitoring and communications, as they do for Surftown Half, but last fall was their first foray into trail races at Grills.  While their efforts benefit them for training, it was also advantageous to us as they knew where the lead and final runners were, and runners appreciated seeing them out on the course as well for a confidence and safety factor.

Walked the course with two of them and pointed out logistics and areas of concern along the way.

PM:  Charlestown, RI.  Parked at Dave's Coffee, and ran an easy run through Quonochontaug, except Miles 3 and 6, where I ran 2 on/2 off, where 2 = telephone pole lengths.  Final hard effort before Sunday.

Thursday:  3 run, 3 walk
Westerly, RI.  Easy early morning run at Grills with Brady.

Westerly, RI.  Led a group of 14 (plus Brady) on today's WLT Thursday hike series.  I chose Crandall Preserve, which is not open to the public except for events led by WLT staff and volunteers.  Usually the highlights are the beaver dam overlook (the one feature that is open to the public), the historic sawmill, and Wolf Hill, named because of the legend that the last wolf in the Colony of Rhode Island was shot here in 1708.  However, today, clearly the highlight and biggest interest amongst the group was in this guy:
This is not a snake that I've seen before.  Subsequent research
on RI DEM site and others, along with verification from
other folks, led me to the conclusion that it is an
Eastern Milk Snake.


Friday:  5
Lincoln, RI.  After a meeting in Cranston (finalizing my trail mapping project) and picking up my bib in Providence, decided to go to nearby Lincoln Woods State Park for a run.  I mapped out a 5-mile route, but didn't download it to my watch as it seemed easy to remember.  Failed.  Missed a turn off of the 2.5 mile Les Pawson (3-time winner of Boston Marathon) loop and ended up running the loop twice.  Nice area with a lot of people out walking the loop, especially with. dogs.

Saturday:  3
Hopkinton, RI.  Final run before tomorrow's marathon.  Well, excluding a short warm-up at the race itself.  Anyway, chose this because it's a flat, level, dirt surface loop.  Ran it slow, except for three strides at the end.  With Brady.  Ready or not ...

Sunday:  27 run, 1 walk
Providence, RI.  Providence Marathon!  Separate write-up to follow.

Weekly mileage:  48 run, 11 walk

Weekly synopsis:  I tapered properly, but unfortunately Providence wasn't to be my day, partly to my own mistakes, but mostly due to the hot weather I wasn't acclimated to.  I am very sore post-race, much more sore than usual, so I'm thinking at least two days off from running, and then it's time to switch it up a bit.

My next big races are a 52K trail/mountain race in eight weeks that I'm not prepared for, and a full Ironman four months from now, so I expect to see some trail runs, rides, and swims interspersed in my Strava posts soon.  I'm more than a little concerned about my still not fully healed ankle, so I may still avoid technical trails at the moment.

Weekly highlight:  Run at Lincoln Woods on the Les Pawson Trail.  Nice weather, a lot of people out walking their dogs, and nice views of Olney Pond.

Weekly lowlight:  Unfortunately, the Providence Marathon.  Just too hot for me, and I really struggled out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment