Monday, August 14, 2017

Blessing of the Fleet 2017

Blessing of the Fleet
Narragansett, RI
Friday, July 28, 2017

The 46th edition of the Blessing, and my 15th in a row.  Like many summer races, you never know if you'll be running be heat, humidity, both, or whether you'll happen to luck out with favorable running conditions.  I've run this in decent 69-degree weather, temps of almost 90, sunny weather, overcast, and thunderstorms with downpours.

This year the temps were not bad (mid 70s), but the humidity was oppressive.  Giving that I'm writing this report two weeks in arrears, finer details are eluding me and thus I'll strive for brevity here.

Fast first three:  Despite my efforts to hold back,the first mile is always fast, as you're getting pulled out and it's a net downhill of -44 feet.  Muddy passed me early in the 2nd mile on Ocean Road and said something about this was not shaping up to be a great race for him.  I noticed at that time I was already almost soaked, but was able to keep the pace fairly steady all the way down to Scarborough Beach. 
Splits:  6:00, 6:08, 5:57.
1/2 mile in.  So far so good.
Matty P on my right, out for a stroll.

Struggling in miles 4 - 6:  Mile 3 was my fastest mile on the day at 5:57, and by the time I turned off Ocean Road, I was already slowing quite a bit.  I was absolutely saturated and drenched by now, and it was a sufferfest.  Felt the tiny incline up to the right-turn onto Route 108, which is always my slowest and least enjoyable section.  It should have been some relief that it was at least overcast, but it didn't seem to help.  I was reasonably confident that I was in 1st place for my age group at this point, but I was just slowing and slowing and knew the vultures were circling very close behind, waiting for the kill.  I felt at any moment that age group competitors Norm and Clay were going to pass me (in fact, post-race, both told me they could see me and had caught up behind me at this time).  Last year I ran a painstakingly slow 64:58 in a very hot and humid race, and I was fearful at this point that this year would be even slower.
Splits: 6:24, 6:18, 6:26 (slowest mile on the day)

Slight second wind for finish:  Turning off my dreaded 108 onto Windemere, I was able to pick it up slightly to return to 6-teens (6:1x pace).  It wasn't enjoyable or pretty and I still feared being passed by others in my age group, but soldiered on and conquered.
Final splits:  6:18, 6:17, 6:14, 6:04


Mile 7.5.  Form has broken down.  Just get me to the finish line.
(Pic by Matthew)

Final results:  1:02:33.  43rd out of 2,365 runners.  1st in age group!  Full results here.


Finally.  Very happy to be done.

Nothing left.


Soaked from head to toe, even drenched socks, at the finish.  For some reason, my Mom, who was spectating, didn't want to give me a hug!  Hung around for awards, where I picked up $75 to the Wakefield Running Store, plus a bunch of technical socks, before heading for dinner in Wakefield and then home.  #15 is in the books.  Results could have been better, but given the humidity and still winning my age group, no complaints.
It was dark by the time the awards given.

3 comments:

  1. That is a big age group win. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenn. Was really happy with this run.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the age group win and enjoying that sufferfest. More power to you!!

    ReplyDelete