Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Weekly Log 23-Oct to 29-Oct-2017: Recovery Week

Post Bimblers-Bluff week.

Monday:  4
Wanted to get into WHS XC trails to check out conditions prior to a Westerly - Stonington non-league XC meet.  One small tree down that will need a chainsaw.
Very, very slow running the day after the 50K.

Tuesday:  0
Had originally planned to get in a few miles part of setting up and taking down the course markers.  With the meet cancelled due to impending rain and the legs still sore, opted for a run-free day.

Wednesday:  5
Needham, MA.  Slogged out 5 rainy miles on roads.  Legs have a ways to go to recovery.

Thursday:  0
Give the legs another day.

Friday:  4
Wahaneeta Preserve, late afternoon after work.  I had no sooner gotten started, when crossing my first bridge (near field/pond/dam), I broke right threw one of the bridge boards and went down hard, twisting my ankle in the process.  Ugh!
Just lay there for a while, before I got up and fortunately was able to resume my run.  Fished the broken board parts out of the stream below, and later e-mailed the Westerly Land Trust about the incident and offered to help, but they thanked me for the heads-up and said they'd be out this weekend to repair.
Mid-run I ran into Beth and Gus, which was a much more pleasant encounter than my encounter with the bridge!

Saturday:  7
The most successful leg test yet!  7 miles at Canonchet Preserve with Jonathan and Muddy.  This was my first foray into the property.  Much is blazed, but still not always the easiest to follow.  Some areas fairly technical jumping over rocks and logs, other areas had nice features of boulders, streams, and remains of stone cellars.  Thanks to Jonathan for putting this one together.

Saturday afternoon we spent the afternoon up at Ponagansett (Glocester, RI) watching the 2017 Class B RI High School XC Meet.  For the boys' run, you'd think I was personally running it based on my nervous excitement both before and during the race.  I'll defer to Matthew's write-up for his more in-depth and no doubt more accurate description, but it's a very spectator-friendly course where I saw him go by six times, so I'll chime in briefly with my vicarious running of the course:  After the dust settled, and pretty much for the vast majority of the race from my vantage point, Matthew was in 2nd place, trailing the Classical High School leader by anywhere from 5 to 30 meters.  When we saw him re-emerge from the Covered Bridge Trail onto the fields for the final time, my Mom saw him in the lead before I did, and it was just an ecstatic moment from there on as he increased his lead to the finish.  16:05.  2017 RI Southern Division Champ, and now the 2017 RI Class B Champ as well!  Awesome!  RI State Championships next week, followed by New England Championships.



A great day for Matthew and the Westerly team!
3-minute post race interview with Matthew

Sunday:  6
Finally everything aligned for me to get in a run with Tommy.  It had been a few weeks.  Ran through Woody CCW to mix it up, and had a good time catching up on everything from Haley's swim lessons, Matthew's races, Bimblers, and spring marathon plans.  Pretty much recovered.

Weekly Mileage:  27

Weekly Synopsis:  Lowest mileage week since June 2016.  That's OK, though.  This was a recovery week that took a little longer than I had expected, and with a few ups and downs.  I'm happy to have completed my first 50K trail race, and a recovery week was very much in order.  Now, onwards and upwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment