Sunday, January 28, 2018

Charlestown Chili 5K

Charlestown, RI
Saturday, January 27, 2018

Background:  This was the 3rd anniversary of Charlestown Chili 5K.  I had never run this race before due to conflicts, but the calendar worked for me this year.  Asphalt 5Ks are no longer my mainstay, but I wanted to run this both to support Jonny's efforts as course designer and to participate in the first Clamshell race of 2018.

Warm-up:  I arrived about 45 minutes ahead of race start and was surprised how few runners were there.  Of the runners that were there, I knew almost no one.  I got my bib, and instead of giving out shirts, we received goodie-bags with hot chocolate mix, chocolates, and a nutrition bar.  Works for me; I don't need any more shirts.  One thing was odd, though; my goodie-bag had a Luna nutrition bar for women.  Is my new winter beard not manly enough?  :)

Ran into Jonny, who directed me to the course start, and I went off solo to check out the course.  I ran almost the entire course and when I came back there were many more runners there, including a dozen or so WTAC'ers.

Mile 1:  There was an odd moment at the start where the RD directed us to run in the wrong direction and the timing company blocked off part of the course, but Jonny got them back on track and with the sound of the horn, we were off.  The course would be almost entirely on bike paths, and for the first half-mile or so, was fairly twisty.  Jonny took it out from the beginning, and I followed Jonathan Short out onto the bike path.  It was pretty neat to have a trio of green WTAC singlets lead out the race. Jonathan and I traded places a couple of times, before a Rhode Runner in blue pulled up alongside us.  After a little while, I moved ahead of both, but there was someone on my shoulder that I couldn't shake.  Towards the end of the first mile, he came up alongside me and it was Eric Ciocca from western MA!  He had recently joined WTAC and was starting to tell me about it.  The fact that he was able to talk while I was in oxygen debt gave me concern.  Mile 1:  5:46.

Mile 2For the next few turns, Eric and I were lockstep, with one slightly ahead of the other depending upon which way the course was turning.  As we crossed a parking lot and headed towards the tennis courts, I pulled just slightly ahead of him.  Getting onto the bike criterion course, I could hear his footsteps falling slightly behind.  Meanwhile, Jonny Hammett's gap on me continued to increase.  The bike criterion course was tough as it's wide open and we were going into the wind for most of this part.  Mile 2:  6:11.

Mile 3:  Leaving the criterion course now, the rest of the course was entirely on the narrower and more protected 2-lane bike path, and with wind no longer a factor or at times even a slight tailwind, I could pick it up again.  Approaching the Senior Center for the final section, there was a 90-degree right turn which allowed me to glance back.  I could see Eric, but he was a ways back.  (Maybe I shouldn't have looked and I would have run harder?)  Ran through the finish, very happy with my 2nd place.  Mile 3:  5:56.

Final results:  18:16.  Average pace 5:58.  2nd overall, 1st in age group.  Full results here.

Post-race, three of us (JH, JS, and me) ran the course as a cool-down and flag and arrow pickup.  We came back just in time for the awards ceremony, and afterwards I went in for some chili.  There were about ten different varieties.  I sampled the vegetarian and white chicken chili.  Both were excellent.  The turkey pumpkin chili looked interesting, but apparently others thought so as well, as it was gone by the time I got there.

Coming into this race, I was in the doldrums and had severe running apathy, and feared a finish north of 19 minutes.  To finish with a sub-6 average pace closer to 18 minutes, I was really happy.  Not that I'm about to revert to a weekend regular 5K runner, but it's good to mix it up and I enjoyed myself out here.  There ended up being 19 runners from WTAC today, so that's a great club turnout as well.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Jeff! Love the detail. You do a great job for WTAC and I always appreciate seeing you at events. This Chili 5K is a nice event. I'm hoping to be able to run it again this year!!
    Tom from Richmond

    ReplyDelete