Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Weekly Log 8-Jan to 14-Jan-2018: Snowshoe Week

Monday:  3 mile snowshoe hike
Received an invite from the Westerly Land Trust to join a noon group snowshoe hike at Crandall Family Swamp Preserve.  The time was awkward, but this preserve is closed to the public, so I tried hard and made it work.  So glad I did!  I had been in this preserve one other time, but not to this section as we were in the swamp and ponds, something you could only do when it is frozen over.
Neat to be on solid ice:
the teeth on the snowshoes worked well

The crew sent me to try to find a trail through here.
Yeah, right.

So cool out here!

Tuesday:  3 mile snowshoe run
Beautiful day at Wahaneeta.  Started out in some deep snow making tracks myself, until I came across a very well tracked snowshoe path.  I guessed right away it was some of my Westerly Land Trust friends, and I guessed right.  They made a loop of just about 3 miles, and it made it awesome for a snowshoe run.
Well worked tracks over the bridge on the perimeter trail at Wahaneeta Preserve

Wednesday:  5 mile snowshoe run
Ran the same loop as yesterday, except started from Fallon Trail, and tacked on a run around the pond.  Sunny and warm.  A couple of times I was hit in the back of the head with snow, and turned around half expecting to see someone throwing a snowball at me.  Dolt!  Of course, it was myself churning and kicking up snow.
Trail really getting packed down now!  Finally easy to run on;
of course, just as the snow is about to melt.

Sign outside a downtown restaurant.
I got a chuckle out of this :)

Thursday:  5 mile snowshoe run
With temps this day forecasted to reach near 50, and tomorrow a drenching warm rain and fog, I figured today would be the last opportunity to snowshoe for a little while.  Got out there about 7am, and was surprised to see the headlights of a vehicle approaching.  It turned out to be the WLT president, Sheilia, having similar thoughts, and coming out for a trail run on the snow with her 3 dogs.  We stayed together for the first mile or so before I continued on.
About a mile later, I feel like I'm having trouble picking up my snowshoes and I looked back to find one of her dogs ON my snowshoe!  You probably had to be there to appreciate it, but I found it quite surprising and funny.

Friday:  0
Warm and pouring rain.  So depressing to see the snow melt away.  I know I should get out there and at least run roads, but just had no interest.
My lunch today.  Pretty sure this was the first time I ever ate Laotian food.
Who knew there is a Laotian restaurant right in Westerly?!  Am I the only
one that is clueless?
The owner seems friendly, and when I asked for a traditional dish from
Laos, he suggested this dish (Bahn Soi - a northern Laos yellow curry noodle dish). 
Delicious!
We have far too many pizza joints in Westerly - good to see
some culture coming to Westerly.

Saturday:  0
A rare double zero for no reason.  Trails would have been mud.  Kept putting it off later and later in the day until I told myself that I really had zero interest to get out there and run roads.

Sunday:  7
Resolution 4K race.  Write-up to follow.

Weekly mileage:  20!

Weekly synopsis:  Embarrassingly low mileage week.  On the other hand, I got out there and snowshoed four consecutive days (where it's harder to get the same mileage as running dry trails or roads) and I got in a good beach/trails race.  Sounds a little better when I justify it that way.

Weekly highlights:  Wow, tough call.  I really enjoyed the Resolution race, but I'm going to have say my highlight this week was my snowshoe runs.  Just unique and beautiful out there.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun week! Especially the dog taking a free ride on the back of your snow shoe! I've been curious about the Crandall Preserve, looks very cool! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete