Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Weekly Log 19-Mar to 25-Mar-2018: Brrr-lingame

Monday:  0

Tuesday:  0

Wednesday:  0
So excited about another snowstorm.  School cancelled.  Forecasts ranged from 4-8" to 6-10".  Waited all day.  Nothing but sleet and freezing rain.  Depressing.

Thursday:  6
We got about 1/2" of slush.  Ran single-track through puddles and mud at Barn Island, but no snow.

Friday:  0

Saturday:  3
Had planned out a run in Grills for late morning, but that was with the overly optimistic goal of being able to finish up my work and leave the office by late morning.  Didn't happen.  Snuck in a short shakeout run late afternoon instead.

Sunday:  8
Brrr-lingame 8 mile trail race.  Had debated even signing up given my current lack of fitness and sloth-like existence.

The start:  Started off a bit slower and in the middle of the pack so I wouldn't get sucked up with the fast guys.  It's definitely more fun that way than what often feels like a near-sprint off the starting line to get into position.  Midway through crossing the starting field, Seth, looking like one of the ZZ Top guys, was running backwards filming us with his Go-Pro.  He said something about warning him about crashing into a tree, but unfortunately he was really heading towards crashing into a picnic table.  I yelled, "Whoa!" twice, but to no avail, as he hit the picnic table and crashed.  I felt badly, but didn't know what else I should have yelled.

Talked to Cliff briefly before I went ahead of him and then ahead of Paul before entering the woods.  The next mile and a half was also new to the course this year as it wound through Kimball.  I caught up to Leslie, who recognized that I was behind her (it was probably the dinosaur-like breathing that gave me away) and graciously offered to let me past.  Next I caught up to Mike Daniels and stayed behind him for the next mile or so as we worked our way out to the pond in a formation of 6.

Tracking Mike Daniels early in the race
(Photos by Beth)

The packLeaving the pond and working our way through the campground, I was able to gradually pick off one runner after another in our pack and by the time I reached the bog-bridge trail intersection with Vin Gormley, I had passed all of them except for one guy in yellow.   We were hit by stinging sleet and snow squalls at this point, and the bog bridges were slippery as hell.  I avoided the bridges and chose the mud where I could.  The next section was near bush-whacking and really fun.  The sand pits section was really tough with short steep climbs, and at this point, the guy in yellow made a wrong turn, and by the time he realized it and got back on the trail, he jumped in behind me.   (Looking at results now, I estimate I was in 4th place at this point but well behind the top 3.)

After the bush-whacking section, we had about 3 miles left to go and this would be the first 3 miles (in reverse direction) of the previous course.  Up onto the ridge trail we went, and that's when it happened ...

The crash:  This is the most technical part of the course, yet I've run this trail many times (although, typically in the opposite direction).  I tripped on something in the trail and went down.  I put my hand down instinctively to break the fall, but to no avail.  My knee smashed into some jagged rocks on the side of the trail and I went down hard.  Two guys quickly went around me (although were polite to ask if I was OK).  I tried to get up right after they went by, but it wasn't happening.  A lot of pain!  I hobbled a few yards to where Seth was and then went down and laid by the trail as a scad of runners passed me, including the whole pack that I had slowly overtaken but were now spread out, Mike Daniels, and Leslie (again, all politely asking if I was OK or needed help).  According to my Strava recorded activity, I was down for about 5-6 minutes here before I finally got up and on my way. 
Bloody knee at the end of the race.

Hobbled at first, and then after a while was able to get in to a half-limp/half-run gait and finish.  Honestly, by then, the leg was still hurting and I just wanted it over.  Crossed the finish line, got a water, and left to attend to my wounds.  When still bleeding four hours later, went to Urgent Care, where they gave me a tetanus shot, and used a scalpel, brush, and tweezers to clean out the remaining gravel in the multiple lacerations.  That was not fun!
Don't bloody trail wounds usually look much
better after you shower and clean them up?
Not this time I guess.
Bandaged up after a visit to Urgent Care

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?  Well, I tell you that this course was a lot of fun!  I'll be back next year with more stamina, less work stress, and hopefully do a better job staying on my feet!

Weekly mileage:  17

Weekly synopsis:  No mileage expectations at this point.  (Just one week to go on the project now.)  Fun race at Brrr-lingame.  Well, up to Mile 5, anyway.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment