Monday, June 25, 2018

Weekly Log 18-Jun to 24-Jun-2018: June Injury #2

Monday:  7
Lake Brandt, Greensboro, NC.  Last day in NC, and I won't miss this weather.  83 degrees and dripping humidity by 7:30am, before going up to 98 degrees in the afternoon.  I have a brother in inland Georgia and a son in Tampa, FL, and I really don't understand how either can stand to stay in the south in the summer.

Anyhow, other than the heat and deerflies (5 kills), the trails were pretty interesting.  Started off on a mile of paved bike path, then ventured onto the dirt single-tracks.  Nothing technical, but a fun trail network that was entirely shaded.  Really just scratched the surface of the trail network here.
Frequent overlooks onto Lake Brandt
Fun single-track through the forests
Many commemorations of RI General Nathaniel Greene can be found here,
including this trail.  Greene was a highly respected general from RI serving under
George Washington and credited with turning around the war in the southern states.

Almost stepped on this poor guy!
He blended right in on the trail and I just spied him at the last minute.
And the walls came crumbling down (Mellencamp?):  What fresh hell is this?  (Sheldon Cooper?)  Unlike with last week's calf injury, there was no defining moment that precipitated today's injury.  The run felt fine throughout, but lo and behold, the rest of the day I was hobbling from pain in my gluteus / right hip area.  We had time to kill in the afternoon before flying back to RI, and when visiting a neat aquarium outside Charlotte, I tried my best to walk normally, but my Mom detected my limping right away.  When Jana and my Mom wanted to walk some more, I found a comfy chair, winced, and collapsed into it.

Tuesday:  0
Nope, not happening.

Wednesday:  0.2
Adams Farm, Walpole, MA.  Not even close.  Stupidly tried to jog and did nothing but hobble in pain.  Abort running.

Thursday:  0
Nada.  Pain and limping.

Friday:  0
Durham, NH.  Up here for student/parent orientation.  Really, really, really wanted to run in College Woods and adjoining trail systems, but that's not happening. 

On the way back home, we stopped at Treetop Adventures in
Canton, MA.
Full disclosure:  the green course (novice) was fun, the blue course
(intermediate) was quite challenging for me or at least 2 of the stations were,
and by the black course (advanced) Dad had bailed and relegated himself
to watching and photographing Matthew traverse the course (above).

Saturday:  0
Nope.

Sunday:  18 bike
Bike with Mikey felt just fine.  Around the beach easy pedal with a coffee break at the end in Weekapaug, and catch up on life.  It's all about the iced coffee stops for me.

Weekly mileage:  7  (does 7.2 sound better?)

Weekly synopsis:  Lowest mileage week ever.  Even the week of my ventral hernia surgery I managed to eke out 9 miles.  Every single day this week I have been in pain and hobbling.  What is wrong?  Why isn't this getting better?  I've resolved that tomorrow morning either I magically wake up feeling better, or I'm paying a visit to old sawbones.  Depressed and worried.

1 comment:

  1. Matthew smiling! WOW!

    Welcome to my world of constant pain and misery. It sucks, I really don't like guests, get out.

    ReplyDelete