Saturday, June 23, 2018

Weekly Log 4-Jun to 10-Jun-2018

Monday:  0

Tuesday:  0

Wednesday:  9
AM:  6 miles in Hale Reservation, Westwood/Dover, MA.  Easy mix of trails.
PM:  3 miles at 1st Westerly Fun Run of the season!  I felt like I was pushing it, so the finishing time of 19:11 was a tad disappointing.
Walking to get lunch mid-day at the Wellesley Office Park,
I almost stepped on this poor guy.
I remember when I accidentally chopped up a snake with a lawn mower
in my youth at my parents' house; I was devastated.

Thursday:  0

Friday:  17
AM:  11 miles from Arcadia Y.  Mix of asphalt and dirt roads up into Exeter via Blitzkrieg Trail, and back via Skunk Hill Road.  The country roads here are so nice and quite.  Went more than 5 miles without seeing a car.
PM:  6 miles with Matthew at Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge, Sudbury, MA (off I-495 west of Boston).  As with this morning's run, a mix of asphalt and dirt.  We underestimated distances on the trail map, and had to cut our run short to avoid getting mega-mileage the day before Matthew's NE meet.

Saturday:  7
Oaklands Forest, Exeter, NH.  Was trying to follow a 5-mile loop marked with red blazes, but got off course so many times.  Far too many intersections were just completely unmarked, leading me to taking wild guesses.  Thanks to local mountain bikers Ben and Paul for repeatedly pointing me in the right direction.
Trailhead where I started from
Trail going right through a cool rock formation

A number of bogs in the town forest

Sunday:  9
Metacomet Trail, Meriden/Berlin, CT.  With Matthew.  He planned this one out.  Almost all single-track, with some asphalt mixed in early to be able to make a loop.  Very technical, very steep for much of the way, with rewarding views, especially from appropriately named if unimaginative East and West Peak.

Descending from West Peak.
Watch your footing here!

Very technical.  Yes, this is the trail.
You can see Matthew pausing to wait up for the old guy.

Views from Castle Craig.

Castle Craig

Awesome lake views on the way back.

Weekly Mileage:  42

Weekly Synopsis:  Far too many zeros this week, but somehow still made it to 40+.  Fun runs in four different states.

Weekly Highlight:  Metacomet Trail in CT.  Great training and views.

No comments:

Post a Comment