Monday, June 4, 2018

Weekly Log: 28-May to 2-Jun-2018: A Return to Racing


Monday:  8
Memorial Day.  Why can't every weekend be a 3-day weekend?  Who made up the stupid 5-day workweek?  Probably the French.

Technical Yawgoog trails in the AM with Matthew.  Out to Southwest Marker, and the CCW around Yawgoog Pond.  North of Hidden Lake, I missed a seemingly obvious right turn on blue, and back-tracked when it didn't look right.  This added about a mile, but would've been much more had we kept going, as we were on the blue trail headed towards Green Falls Pond instead of the blue trail headed back towards Camp Yawgoog.  Really like these trails, but I did get worn out during the run.  Wimp.

Tuesday:  5
Run for the Pumpkins course at Noon.  81 degrees; too hot.

Wednesday:  14
Noon:  6 miles.  Surveillance of the Back Road Ramble course at Burlingame Management Area.  Totally bonked on this one.  Note to self: you may want to eat something more substantial before Sunday's 11am race.

Evening:  8 miles.  Haley Farm and Bluff with Matthew and John Walker (no relation on the latter).  Ran progressively faster miles mostly on fire roads, but when the mile pace dropped to 6:24, that seemed like a good time to break off and run single-track for a while.
Finishing up in Haley (just after crossing the RR bridge), there was a deer on the side of the trail.  I ran up beside it and past it, coming about 3 feet away, the closest I've ever been to a deer.  I felt like I could reach out and touch it.  It looked nervous, but never ran off.  I could never shoot a deer or eat venison.  Awesome wildlife moment.

Thursday:  5
Legs feeling yesterday's double, so I took it easy mostly with grass laps at Bradford Preserve.

Friday:  8
Twilight Trail Run.  Separate write-up forthcoming.

Saturday:  6
Kettle Pond, Kimball, and B-game campground trails solo.  Controlled slow and easy, as between races.

Sunday:  15
Course marking, racing, and course clean-up at the 7th annual Back Road Ramble.  Separate write-up forthcoming.

Weekly mileage:  61!
What's wrong with this picture?
Unusually at the top of the club leaderboard.

Weekly synopsis:  Return to high mileage for me.  I know Jonny Hammett would yawn over a mere 60-mile week, but for me, that's my highest mileage since last October!  I don't expect next week or every week to be a 60-miler, but I would like to get at least 50 as my norm through the summer.  Really happy with this week's runs.

Weekly highlight:  The Back Road Ramble trail race.  From both volunteering and participating in this race, it's just a fun time.
 

1 comment:

  1. On my lunch time bike ride we went down the paved path to and through Haley Farm and scared up 5 deer! Besides being very nerve wracking, you never know how many there are or what they are going to do, it was very pretty. They scampered off into the woods and watched Ro and I ride away, probably wondering what these fool people were doing disturbing their lunch time nibbling.

    ReplyDelete