Sunday, May 5, 2019

Clamdigger 2019

Clamdigger 5-Miler
Westerly, RI
Saturday, April 27, 2019

We had moved the 38th annual edition of the Clamdigger moved from its usual 2nd Sunday in April slot to the last Saturday of the month, due to it falling on Easter Sunday this year.  We were hoping that slightly later in the season would give us more favorable weather this year, and while the temp was fine at about 50 degrees, unfortunately with 20mph winds and overcast, it just felt quite cold.  We were very grateful to the Town of Westerly Recreation Department for allowing us to once again open and use the beach pavilion for "real" bathrooms and have registration sheltered from the wind.

Despite the race in its 38th year, you're never too experienced to learn something new, and when we had two setbacks at last year's race, we made adjustments:
  • The clam chowder (prepared by Westerly High School culinary students) was not warm enough last year, so this year we replaced our burners, got an earlier start, and the chowder was hot by race finish and serving.
  • A number of folks went off-course last year as some of our road race "sandwich board" course markers were blown over by the wind.  This year we switched to our trail race course markers, which are anchored into the ground, and while some were swaying in the wind today, none faltered and the masses stayed on course.
A very calm Race Director before the start of the race.
(We have a great volunteer crew to keep things well organized.)

Fast start:  About 130 runners toed the line this year.  While the numbers are down from recent years, we find that's consistent with many local races, and indeed even our timing company came back from a conference lately where they learned that trends have shifted over time and statistically race participation has declined nationally in recent years, and it's not simply a saturation of races.  But I digress...

After a few very brief remarks from me, mostly about staying to the ocean side of the road on Atlantic Avenue (start/finish), leaving the roads open for traffic, flooding in a few spots, and the 5K/5M split, we were off.  I try to keep my remarks shorter and shorter each year, realizing it's best to quickly hit whatever is deemed most important as after a minute or so, you'll start to lose people.


Start of the 2019 Clamdigger races. Muddy and I (red shoes) are on the far right
near one of a number of puddles on today's course.  Tommy 5K in green shoes.
Tommy 5K pulled ahead to lead the pack, followed by a guy in his 20s (?), and then Muddy and I.  Muddy asked me if Tommy was running the 5K or 5Mile, to which I retorted, "um, he's Tommy 5K". After only 1/4 mile, we come up on the usual flooded section of Atlantic Avenue, which after last night's rains, was completely flooded across the road, except for the sidewalks.  I stayed to the far right, went up on sidewalks a couple of times, but when I saw Tommy running up driveways and back down them to avoid water, no, I'm going through those.

The first and largest "puddle" we would encounter on today's race.
In fact, the road flooding was a pretty short distance, and most of the rest of the roads were dry.  Muddy and I ran together for the first mile, and passed the younger guy.  First mile pace 5:43.

We watched Tommy turn off onto the 5K course, and Muddy pulled ahead as we approached the bridge.  After the bridge, we had some buffeting winds, so I was surprised for Mile 2 that I averaged 5:54 and not slower.

Swirling in Weekapaug:  We originally had eight high school runners lined up as course marshals, but that fell through when a meet of theirs got rescheduled.  So we were back to our original plan of using course markers only.  I was very pleased to see every single course marker (trail arrow signs) was still up, plus some added reinforcements that Muddy had added in the way of additional signs at a few 90-degree turns on the course.

On sections running right along the ocean, you could see the whitecaps out there.  And when the course turned around near Weekapaug Inn and you started to head back, now you could really feel the wind. I could still see Muddy ahead of me on straight-aways, but at points I had to question if I was still moving forward.  Mile 3 split 6:18.

Struggle-fest finish:  It was a mixed blessing to make the final turn at the Weekapaug Breachway bridge to head back to the finish.  "Only" 1.5 miles to go now, but this section was entirely into the wind.  It was tough to make out Muddy now, as we were blending in with the 5K mid-packers.  Many were supportive as you went by.  At one point, three walkers were abreast coming at me, taking up most of the entire road driving lane.  I cringed, fearing a talking to by Westerly PD as I had received last time.  I yelled for them to get to the side of the road, but with the wind noise and my breathing hard, I'm not sure it was clear to them what I was saying.

When I got back to the puddle section again, with the 5K'ers up on the sidewalk already taking that dry ground, I just forged through the puddles.  I have dry shoes and socks back in the car, and it's only water!

Passing 5K mid-packers near the finish.

I feel like this photo better captures the essence of my struggling against the wind.
(Thanks for Jana for all pics.)

Final results:  30:52, 2nd overall.  Full results here.

Miles 4 and 5 (the latter all headwind) were a slow 6:13 and 6:33, respectively.  Done.  Changed into dry shoes, cheered on more runners, had some hot chowder, and got ready for kids' run and awards.

Kids' fun run on the beach:  Look at the white caps in background!
I was getting really cold now setting this up,
but seeing the smiles on kids' faces made it all worthwhile!
We've continued to increase the number of free kids' fun runs that we have at club races;
and I'm absolutely convinced that's the right thing to do.

Awards ceremony:  OK, I'm freezing by now.  You can see some of the attire
people are wearing.  How can I run through this quickly and efficiently?
Thanks to all WTAC volunteers making this race a success today.

After we cleaned up the site, this race picture just spoke to me of the
stark, bleak day today.  Not to complain, as the downpours had stopped
long before the race, but hopefully next year we'll have slightly better weather?

Next up:  So many of you have been asking, "What are your next races, Jeff?".  (OK, nobody has been asking, but let's just assume that someone asked.  Go with me here.)  Well, I'm glad you asked.  My upcoming race schedule has about six trail races / mountain races over the next two months, so that's where more of my training runs will be focused.  I'll need some hill training to be sure.  I may also sneak a 5K race in mid-May, as it's just a mile from my house, and I try to support the local races as well as keep up some road racing.  The next major road race will be the Blessing.  It will all come up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment