Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Weekly Log 6-May to 12-May

Miscellaneous ramblings:

  • Last week during my travels to Texas, I don't know why, but before going into the giant body X-ray machine at the airport, when a TSA agent asked me if I had anything in my pockets, I answered, "Yes, lint.".  To which he retorted, "You'll have to step out of line, sir, and take that out.".  Note to self:  never do that again, even though I was telling the truth, as TSA agents have zero sense of humor.
  • Saturday afternoon (after having mowed my lawn that morning), when I ran into my neighbor (the state cop) he said, "Next time when you mow your lawn, do you think you could do it even earlier in the morning?".  Huh?  Ah, sarcasm.  I put on a condescending tone when I asked him if I woke his lazy a$$ up, and he said he was up, but his teenage son said to him, "Really, does he [me] have to mow his lawn at 6:30am?!".  Ah, now I get it.  (For the record, I mowed it at 8:30am, not 6:30am, but even if had been 10:30am, it probably would have had the same effect for a 9th grade boy.)
  • I was rejected from running in the London Marathon, but Rhino Liz got in?!  That hurts.


Monday:  0

Tuesday:  8
Finally got my lazy carcass out of bed in the morning, and even got a workout in.  'Round the pond run, with descending ladders from 5 minutes hard taking off a minute each time, with half recovery time.

Wednesday:  6
New Haven.  Working in the city for the day, I was treated to a city run.  The first 1/4 mile was frankly scary to me, dodging pedestrians, bikes, signs, and cars, but after that, we turned off onto a bike path for an out-and-back.  Unintended progression run from 7:07 down to 6:17.

I always think of New Haven as being pretty crappy,
but it's not bad in the downtown area where I worked for the day and
most likely will be visiting more often for an upcoming
software replacement project. 

Neat statue on the actual site where the mutinous
prisoners from the slave ship Amistad were imprisoned
until former president John Quincy Adams
arguing before the Supreme Court finally secured their freedom.
There were three panels to this statue; I stopped and read every word.

Thursday: 10
Noon:  4 miles in Burlingame campground trails.  Squeezed this one at lunch before a 1pm meeting.

Afternoon:  6 miles in another section Burlingame:  Sammy C's, Lenny Lane, Vin Gormley.  Ran into the Badger group biking near Buckeye Brook Road.  Heard them before I saw them.  ("Hi Mr Walker", "Hi Jeff")  Very polite.

Friday:  5
North End at lunch.  Walked from work through Wilcox Park to the Y, and went out for an easy-paced run.  Came back, caught up with other colleagues at the Y, showered, changed, and had a leisurely lunch at home before returning to work.

I really have to remember never to take that for granted, as leisurely mid-day run and coming home for lunch is nothing that I could ever have done on a regular basis with my crazy stressful job at Fidelity in a busy city.  The career itself at Fidelity was more varied and more rewarding overall and I went to a lot of interesting places in the world on the "company dime", but I definitely earned my keep, including numerous holidays, 2am calls that could go on for hours while logging into my computer half-asleep, and bringing my laptop and Crackberry on vacation.

Today in my biweekly 1:1 meeting with my boss, she asked me if I felt I was getting enough work/life balance recently.  My instinctive reaction was that I laughed at her question; probably not a good reaction, but then I explained myself relative to my previous job demands, and since she also came from a larger firm where you constantly had to prove yourself to keep your job, she understood.  She asked if I was OK with the travel lately and working across different subdivisions of our firm.  I told her I loved it and the variety kept my mind sharper.  Going to Austin for three days last week, New Haven one day this week, and Wellesley one day next week is just fine.  Getting stuck in India for two consecutive weeks and still having to come to the office each day to lead meetings when I was sick as a dog from unsanitary food conditions, not so much.

Saturday:  10
Just going to keep this one positive, as honestly missing the ferry to Block Island and subsequently Shad Bloom Trail Race which I was signed up for, pretty much ruined most of my day.  While I hadn't anticipated being held up in traffic for a road race (turns out it was the "South County Health Centennial 5K", my failure was not adding in a sufficient contingency buffer.  I own this.

Ran in Burlingame on way home, as running is always a good outlet for negative emotions.  Warm, sweaty.  Temps in mid 60s with bright midday sun; I'm certainly not acclimated.

Sunday:  7
Cold rain run on local roads.  Unintentional progression run as I was soaked, cold, and just wanted to be done.

Weekly mileage:  45

Weekly synopsis:  Better than previous three weeks, and getting closer to my goal of 50.

Weekly highlight:  Running with my competitive New Haven based colleague.

Weekly lowlight:  Obviously the disappointment of missing Shad Bloom.  Moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment