Sunday, May 26, 2019

Weekly Log 20-May to 26-May-2019: Mileage Bounce Back

Miscellaneous ramblings:

  • Last weekend at the Beaks 5K, I was on my cool-down when a mid-pack runner on his way to finish yelled to me, "You're just showing off!".  Um, no, I'm on a cool down.  Up until that point, I was feeling energized running the course in reverse seeing runners finishing and cheering them on, and then I abruptly dropped off the course and ran a different street lest I offend more runners.  Hopefully he was in the minority with his feelings against me.
  • With my brief trip to Tennessee this past week, I've now been to 37 states.  I never thought seriously about it before, and it's just a count of man-made political subdivisions, but I wonder if I should add "visit all 50 states" to my bucket list, now that I'm within striking distance?  On the other hand, there's probably a reason I haven't visited the remaining 13, as I don't have strong desires to visit states like MS, AR, KS, and NE, although hiking or skiing in Idaho would probably be pretty sweet.
  • Question on local church billboard:
  • Answer:  Um, because I like RI better?

Monday:  12
Nashville, Tennessee!  First time here.  Only here for a single day on business, as arrived late Sunday night and will depart early Tuesday morning.  I roughly mapped out my running route using searches from the 'Net and Strava, and despite being tired and not getting enough sleep, made sure to set my alarm for 5:40am as who know when if ever I'll have the chance to run in Tennessee again.
On the pedestrian bridge looking back at downtown Nashville
where I started from, across the Cumberland River.

After running out of downtown, I ran on a nondescript bike path
through an industrial area, but it was better than I expected and
did feature physical barriers from the road.

After about three miles, I arrived at a park.
Is the second direction on sign above for me?

Quiet road through park.


Start of Shelby Bottoms Greenway.  As I stopped to get my bearing,
Tony (in above pic) asked if I'd run with him for a few miles.
He was from St Louis, and also here on business.  I have no idea even
what business he's in; that's the great thing about running- it transcends
work, geographic, and other barriers; we talked only about running.
------------------
Ending up running with him for the next 8+ miles, and it helped
the run go by quickly.  Our pace dropped to about 6:30/mile,
and when I said I wasn't looking to go that fast, he said, "I was
just following your lead.".  Oh.

Revolutionary War era Fort Nashborough
The last few miles I was really feeling it.  It wasn't that hot at about 67 degrees, but throw in 85% humidity and I was just dripping sweat and ready for the run to finish.

Meanwhile, in the lobby back at the hotel we were staying and where the
one day business event was held.
This was my first time ever staying at an art museum hotel,
and it's just not my thing.  I remember I had to take an Art Appreciation
course way back in my Bachelor Degree curriculum, and what I learned out of
it is that I don't have appreciate art.

Dark weird hallway of the hotel, just outside my room.
I wasn't the only attendee that commented unfavorably on the
dark eerie corridors.  Seemed like a corridor out of a horror flick.

Sorry for being boring and a "plain Jane", but can't we just get "normal" soap?
It was rum bar soap, peppermint shampoo, and cilantro body lotion.


This is just wrong.  This snake was wriggling
as a video projection every time you entered the
elevator.  I'm not anti-snakes, but it was odd.
One of the hotel employees told me it freaked her
out, and she always looked at the floor when in the
elevator.

I was actually just fine with the "flock of
teal penguins" that was seemingly everywhere
throughout the hotel.

This was the only other art piece I actually
liked, as it wasn't interpretive or abstract art, and I like foxes and snow.
--------
Otherwise, can't we just stay in a normal mainstream
hotel?

Tuesday:  6
Got off the direct flight from Nashville to Providence (flew Sun Country Airlines, a carrier new to RI) just before Noon.  Despite the short 2.5 hour flight and wide seat I had, my body was just so stiff.  Pulled off at Big River to run my usual:  Lego (one of my favorite trails through the pines), cross over New London Turnpike, and then if I don't get horribly lost, some portion of Deadshed and Foster's Folly.  After about two miles, my legs finally started responding and I got into the run.

Wednesday:  6
Early morning (6am) at Grills Westerly.  Ran into Sheilia and her dogs, and talked briefly, and later on my way back, I heard owners calling unsuccessfully to call their dog who was by now in a near full sprint towards me.  They yelled "she's friendly", but we've all heard that one before, and fortunately as she got closer and I saw she was a yellow lab, bring it on.  Definitely very, very friendly.  Just wagging her tail and wanted to say hello.  Beautiful dog.
What do you do when you come to a flooded, muddy section of trail like this,
with no way around it? Why of course you just forge right through it!
Hosed down my muddy, smelly shoes pretty good when I got back home.

Thursday:  9
AM:  6 mile loop from Arcadia Y, Richmond.  Penultimate Back Road Ramble ("BRR") race committee meeting.  I had planned for a longer run, but was so stiff and creaky like the Tin Man.  When I started running, even my shoulder was making odd popping noises and was very sore.  I didn't get off a flight this time; what gives?  Passing virus?  Old age?

PM:  3 miles easy at Kelley's Pace Fun Run, Mystic.  Went there to pick up gift certificates donated by Kelley's Pace to be used as BRR prizes, so ended up staying to n the Fun Run.  Ran with Steve Servidio and caught up with him, as well as several other runners post-run.

Friday:  0
Unplanned zero, and it's my own fault for not getting out there early and just magically hoping for an opening later in the day that never materializes.

Saturday:  8
Wachusett Mountain Race.  Separate race report coming shortly.

On way back home, I stopped at Stonington Stop & Shop to pick up a few things.  As I was coming out of the store, a washed up older woman with a raspy masculine voice barked out at me, "Got a light?".  I didn't catch what she was saying at first until I saw the unlit cigarette in her mouth.  "Um, no, I don't."  She made the same query of the next customer right behind me, and when he also answered "No", she responded loudly, "Nobody does!  This is f%$ked up.  You're all a bunch of f%$king dirtbags!". 

We're dirtbags, because we're not loser smokers like you, and it's our obligation to carry around "a light" to support your filthy habit?!  Even trying to see both sides, what am I missing here?  Was tempted to turn around and respond, but clearly there would be no upshot in engaging the degenerate.

Sunday:  9
Fun trail run at Burlingame, including B-game north, Sammy C's, and North Camp.  Ran all but the last 1/4 mile without seeing a soul and other than high humidity was really enjoying myself up to that final 1/4 mile. 

The bad:  Of course there was a price to pay for having the trails to myself for nearly 9 miles.  I spied a couple hiking towards me, and as I did, I thought I saw panic in the woman's eyes as she and her male partner saw me coming and immediately turned around and lunged quickly to grab their unleashed German Shepherd by the collar.  Uh-oh, this can't be good.  (There was a second unleashed dog, but he/she was old and complacent.)   Sure enough, as I went by, the dog was pulling away from them and towards me all while barking ferociously and repeatedly at me, scaring the be-Jesus out of me as I feared it might escape their grip and I would become its prey.  And what did either of the owners say?  Sorry?  Good morning?  Enjoy your run?  No, of course not, they said nothing, and just looked at me, like it was my fault for interrupting their hike.  Ugh.  I'll admit a phobia of German Shepherds, as I was mauled by one that only got off me when the owner kicked it in the ribs, and I ended up in the hospital emergency room, but even without such a phobia, how does any other runner, hiker, or biker deserve this?  End of rant.

The good:  I was upset about the dog encounter as I left, and told myself I'm going to move on, and enjoy a nice iced coffee from Dave's Coffee.  Five minutes later I get out of my car at Dave's, and find myself awash in a sea of out-of-state plates.  Ugh; it's tourist season opening, as it's Memorial Day weekend.  I debated just leaving, but for some reason, decided to get in the long line stretching outside and past the Galapagos store entrance.  I had only been in line for about a minute or so, when serendipitously Dave himself (the owner and repeat sponsor of Li'l Rhody) came up to me in line, and asked, "Hi Jeff, are you just having your usual?", to which I said yes and he walked away and came back a minute later, asked me to step out of line, and handed me a refreshing iced coffee.  Dave, thank you not only for reaching out to me, but also for implicitly reminding me that there is much good in humanity.  The next person in line, who was not offered such service, said to me, "It much be nice being a local here".  Yeah, maybe, but don't forget I'm supporting various local businesses year 'round while you're back in New York or wherever you hail from.

Weekly mileage:  50!

Weekly synopsis:  Not that fifty is something miraculous to write home about, but after the last five weeks in a row sub-fifty, I'm happy.  I still think I need to figure out my fall distance running plans and sign up to keep myself motivated.

Weekly highlight:  I suppose it should be Wachusett Mountain Race, because it's a mountain race after-all, but no.  Weekly highlight was my virgin run in Tennessee.

Weekly lowlight:  Trying hard to move past today's dog encounter, I would say it was just how creaky my body was on multiple occasions this week.  Really hope it's not one more symptom to become the "new norm" of aging, and rather just something that passes.  Only time will tell if this is mere wishful thinking on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment