Monday, May 27, 2019

Wachusett Mountain Race

Princeton, MA
Saturday, May 25, 2019

Truly a tale of two different races:  uphill on asphalt, downhill on [mostly] dirt roads.

This was the 3rd race (of 8) in the USATF-NE Mountain Series.  I knew full well ahead of time this would be a climb entirely on roads, but as you "need" to run 6 out of 8, and I'd already missed Pack Monadnock (#2) due to a conflict with my son Mark's college graduation, I can't just skip these races just because they don't line up as my ideal race.

Due to my own error, I got there much too early, two hours before race time.  One hour is my sweet spot for race arrival, unless it's a triathlon and I need more time for setup.  Registration wasn't even open yet, so after the two-hour drive up, I set my alarm and caught a few Zs, before picking up bib, and going for a warm-up.
There are actually plenty of trails here;
why are we running on a road instead?

Race up:  Caught up very briefly with Steve Brightman and Michael Narcisi at the start line, as well as a guy wearing a Stedman's jersey (Tim H?).  Otherwise, I didn't recognize anyone else in the race, although once the gun went off (can't remember if really a gun or not) I saw Dave Dunham right in front of me.  I started out about three rows back, but by 1/2 mile in, I was huffing and puffing, and could no longer hang with the pack I was in, and started the long and disappointing process of being passed by many.  The first mile was a constant climb, with a 400' gain, and I was so relieved when in the start of the second mile, it actually leveled off for a good 1/4 mile so.  Not long, but just enough to recover a little bit before continuing the climb.
Quiet road was closed to traffic for the race.
This is about 1/4 mile in on the race.


The final 1.5 mile ascent was just a constant climb, and I was getting slower and slower:  Mile 1 8:03, Mile 2 8:16, Mile 3 9:05 (ouch!).  In the final mile when I just wanted to be done, two runners around me were unintentionally annoying me.  The first was a guy in purple that caught up to me and while I'm panting loudly like a dinosaur, he wants to have a conversation with me.  The second was a guy seemingly just behind me and catching me, and this guy was repeatedly coughing loudly but unable to hack up the furballs in his throat.  So happy to reach the top, where you ran around the top of a ski lift, and started back down.
Finishing the ascent in hazy sunshine.  Halfway done, with the worst part out of the way.

3 Mile ascent results:  24:37.  32nd out of 366, 9th in age group.  Not pretty.  Full 3-Mile results here.

Race down:  I immediately went past Purple (he did yell some encouragement to me), and fortunately by now I was out of sound range for Furball (or he stopped at summit; I don't know).  This was "easy" now with relatively steep downhills and played to my strength.  There was one mile downhill on asphalt (5:26), and two miles on a dirt road (5:27 and 5:46).  The final mile featured a cruel, but short, 50' climb, before resuming the descent.  I was feeling really good passing a number of people; nine in fact.
Done.  Finished.  Wobbly legs.

Final 10K (up and down) results:  43:28.  20th out of 310, 5th in age group (of 57).  Full 10K results.

Caught my breath and talked to Steve Brightman a bit before ambling back to the registration area where food was setup.  The food was packaged food, and the oranges were uncut, so I took a pass and kept going and headed home.  Not a great race for me and not an especially fun one, but two down in the mountain series, 4 to go.

When I take a look at my competitors I know and that are reasonably near me,
my downhill splits (4-6) look very respectable.
But boy, I have a long ways to go on uphill racing.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. I know Furball. Nice guy, but I had to listen to the constant hacking all the way until the last mile of Sleepy Hollow. I was losing my mind!!! This race isn't my cup of tea either. I had registered for it but bagged it. Just no desire to make that drive for a race I don't really like that much. I had difficulty pacing that uphill the one time I did that race. It's almost too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know he didn't mean it, but yes, so frustrating to listen to the hacking! Steve Brightman has already warned me that I'll probably hate Ascutney. Great. I really do want to complete the series, but can't see Wachusett as a repeat for me. I saw your name at registration and looked for you, but then saw your Strava post that you bagged it. Can't blame you.

      Delete