Sunday, June 2, 2019

Weekly Log 27-May to 2-Jun-2019

Miscellaneous rambling:

  • Roadside sign in Ossipee, NH:  "The first five days after the weekend are the hardest!"

Monday:  25 ride
Memorial Day.  Ride with Mike from my house up through Bradford, down to East and West Beach, where it was absolutely beautiful, and then iced coffee meet-up with Tom at Dave's Coffee.  Finished up through Misquamicut; momentarily odd to see people back at the beach.

Spent most of the rest of the day on yardwork:  trimming overgrown bushes, weeding, and spreading three yards of mulch.

Tuesday:  6
Local neighborhood roads.  Got this one in early, before volunteering with the Westerly Land Trust's "Coffee & Clearing Club".  I was one of a few who knew of a big blowdown in Grills, so I was part of a chainsaw-wielding crew to take care of this and two smaller blowdowns in Champlin.

This trail obstruction near the Lawson Farm foundation
was completely blocking the white trail, but is no more.

Wednesday:  5
Needham Town Forest, Needham, MA.  Morning run at 7am, before working in Wellesley for the day.


Definitely some challenging technical sections here...

... and lots of fun single-track through the woods.


Thursday:  4 run, 22 ride
7am run at Woody Hill from Fallon Trail.  Just felt like complete garbage:  creaky again, lots of body aches, with sharp shoulder pain.  Nice trails, nobody there, but not very enjoyable for aforementioned reasons.

9am PT visit.  Since Matthew had a 9am PT visit with John Ward, I glommed on and went with him for selfish reasons of usurping his appointment with getting a quick opinion from John on my latest shoulder pain and limited range of motion.  He spent a couple minutes with me and suggested I come back for a formal appointment, offering to bump someone else to make room for my schedule.  (I know it sounds like he just did that to get me back in there to make money, but I trust John implicitly.  He and I go back to training for Boston more than a decade ago, and he's been a long time sponsor of Li'l Rhody.)

Anyway, I went back at 1pm for continued diagnosis and treatment.  Since I can barely lift up my left arm 40 degrees before the pain stops me, and since this is the same shoulder I had surgery on ~30 years ago to repair a torn labrum after years of repeated dislocations, I was concerned the pins broke loose or some such havoc had been wreaked.  John assured me it was outside of the shoulder socket, and was probably bursitis, most likely due from all the work I spent spreading mulch.  Makes sense to me.  No lifting anything heavy or swimming in the short term, but at least I can keep running!

6pm ride with Matthew out to Charlestown, on a very similar route Mike and I rode on Memorial Day.  Felt cold at 54 degrees.

Friday:  5
Kimball and Kettle Pond trails.  75 degrees, but just felt overheated, despite running shirtless and at a pedestrian pace.
75 degrees is not THAT hot, but it can feel it when not acclimated.
Felt like my own internal engine was just overheating today.

Saturday:  5
Very humid local run.  Achy and tough to breathe with 96% humidity.

Post-run I went to watch the local Pawcatuck Lions 5K race.  The last time I ran this was 2015 (finished 2nd to Matthew), when there were 98 finishers, down from 172 the previous year.  Today there were a mere 43 finishers.  Ouch.  It's a sad reality to see race numbers down across the board.

Late afternoon I drove up to Jackman, NH to spend the night.  With a 4.5 hour drive and a 9am Sunday race start, I'd have to be up about 3am and would just be too much driving in one day for my comfort.  Was surprised to find a place for just $65 (Lodge at Jackson Village) and feared the old adage of you get what you pay for.  Turned out to be not bad at all.

Just fine for $65 and a short overnight stay.

Sunday:  8
Cranmore Mountain Race.  Race report coming shortly.

Weekly mileage:  33 run, 47 ride

Weekly synopsis:    33 miles is obviously less than what I'm looking for, but when I add in the 47 miles biking (or even 1/3 that amount for a run:ride ratio), it's alright.  I'm more concerned with the physical issues I've had this week with aches and pains and shoulder issues, and sure hope they're just short lived.

Weekly highlight:  Cranmore Mountain Race!

Weekly lowlight:  Aches and pains.

1 comment: