Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Weekly Log 3-Jun to 9-Jun-2019: Aches, Pains, & Old Age

Miscellaneous ramblings:
  • I heard on the radio this week that bike riding is an activity that almost 100% of those aged 50 and older have done, but only about 1/2 of millennials have done.  Can that be true?  If so, that's pretty sad.
Monday:  15 ride
Planned day off after Cranmore race.  Rode local Westerly roads with Matthew in the evening.

Tuesday:  4
Ran local roads before work.  Had the intention to run 6-7, but as soon as I started I felt the creakiest and achiest I have felt in a long time, and 4 miles was my own compromise as the other side of my brain was telling me to just quit after 1/2 mile and walk home.  Ugh.  I feel like every muscle and joint in my body is aching, and like I'm burning up.  Finished the run/shuffle, got home, took my temperature.  No, it's normal.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

Decided to pay Old Sawbones a visit.  Fortunately I could get in.  After asking a few questions, he said to me that it really sounds like I have Lyme.  Again?!  I did pull a nymph tick off my leg Sunday.  It was no bigger than a poppy seed, so despite my efforts to keep body hair to a minimum (TMI?) so I can see these nasty pests, who knows how long it was attached to me.  After two bouts of Lyme, two bouts of Anaplasmosis, and one of Babesiosis, I'm at least quite familiar with the course of action:  labwork and start right away on Doxycycline.

I actually hope I have Lyme now.  Sounds perverse, but if that's the case, I should be feeling much better in 2-4 days.

Wednesday:  3
Woke up and felt terrible again, like every muscle in my body hurts.  Decided no run, except Fun Run in the evening.

Found a partner in crime (Muddy) to run an easy 7-minute pace with.  The time went by fast, and this would be enough running for me today.

First week (of 10) of our club's summer fun series.  We had a small field of runners which I recognized more than 90%, and this was a fun small crowd, before we get big numbers mid-summer as the tourists come in.  (I also like seeing the numbers swell in the summer with out-of-state vacationing runners, but there's something intimate about the first week or two.)

Thursday:  0
Creakily got out of bed and thought taking a complete day off isn't such a terrible idea.

Went to PT to continue working on my shoulder mobility issue, and John recommended that I see an orthopedic doctor to assess whether I've injured my 30-year shoulder surgery repair.  Ugh.  Could this all be tied together?  Depressed big time.

Friday:  3
Afternoon shake-out in Woody Hill from Fallon Trail.  Felt absolutely horrible.  Creaky, achy, uncomfortable, painful, sick to my stomach, the latter presumably from the Doxycycline.  And I'm running Ascutney Mountain Race tomorrow?  Ugh. The only thing good about this run is that I was out in the woods and never saw any humans.

Entertained all sorts of negative thoughts, and decided it's best if I stop publicly posting on Strava for a while until I'm back to somewhat normal running, as I don't want to bring others down with my negativity and whining.

Saturday:  0
After borderline limping around the house last night with muscle aches, and getting up this morning feeling far less than 100%, decided to skip Ascutney.  Brightman had already told me I'll hate the race, and that's assuming good health.  Driving seven hours round-trip with muscle aches, sandwiched by a 3.7 mile uphill race that I won't enjoy and won't do well - why am I doing this?!  In order to complete the series, it looks like I'll need to run Greylock now on Labor Day weekend, but by then I should have long been back to regular strength.  Right?

Sunday:  0
The Lyme test came back negative.  Seriously?  Now what?  Unfortunately, it was just a voicemail.  Done running for a little while.

Could this be a false-positive and I really do have Lyme?  Could it be some other infection?  Made the mistake of looking on the internet, and freaking out whether I have rheumatoid arthritis, MS, etc.

Weekly mileage:  [can I write this in invisible ink?]  10 miles run, 15 ride

Weekly synopsis:  Just nothing good to say.  Not a good week.  Hopefully short lived, but nothing to base that on.

Weekly highlight:  Bike ride with Matthew.  It's the only activity all week that wasn't painful.

Weekly lowlight:  Pretty much everything, except that the week has ended.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about your ailments Jeff. I'm also currently waiting on the results of a Lyme test after dealing with lethargy for the last few weeks. Having lack of energy stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear this. You've just described how I've felt nearly every god damn day for the last threeish years. I'll hold out hope you have Lyme as that is treatable and manageable, not exactly curable... Stay away from dr. google, he'll have you dead before you get past the second screen of ailments.

    You would have enjoyed running down the Futures Trail at Ascutney... but year, definitely not your kind of race.

    Best wishes for better healthy and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting because you sound like you do have a lot of symptoms. Maybe it is a false-positive. Isn't there a better test for it out there? Anyway, hopefully you either feel better from the Doxy or figure out what it is.

    And yes, you wouldn't have liked Ascutney. Greylock is a more gradual climb, and I actually like it.

    ReplyDelete