Friday, June 21, 2019

Weekly Log 10-Jun to 16-Jun-2019: The Malaise Continues

Monday:  0
One more day off.

Tuesday:  2
I know, two sounds ridiculous and why bother, but I'm trying to ease back in to see if this works.  Besides, I wanted to check out reports of trail closure at the North Camp Beach.
Trail blocked before beach;
will likely need to reroute that section of BRR.
Only a short section of beach will need to be bypassed;
unfortunately it's probably the most beautiful spot on the course.
If you look closely, you can see a white temporary edifice at
about 2pm in this photo.
Fortuitously I ran into two DEM rangers, and took the opportunity to ask and learn what work was being done.  I was told they were investigating the possibility of offering camping in this area in the future.

I had pain in both hips and hamstrings the whole way, but it was a dull pain and not the whole body aches I experienced last Friday.

Wednesday:  5
AM:  2 miles jog/walk in Noanet Woodlands, Dover, MA.  Had planned to walk only, but felt good and added in some short run bursts.
PM:  3 miles at Fun Run week #2.  Felt really good!  Ran about 6:30 pace.  Is whatever this ailment reaching its end?

Thursday:  0
Pouring rain.  Late evening at work / vendor event, plus PT and doctor's appointment wore me down.

I went to orthopedic doctor per my PT's suggestion, in order to assess whether any damage or movement from the hardware in my left shoulder from surgery 30 years ago.  The doc said no damage from surgery (that's good, right?), but definite concerns on my limited mobility and pain.  From x-rays, he indicated either bursitis or inflammation of rotator cuff, as well as some arthritis, and sent me back for 2-4 weeks of PT and see him again in July, or call if gets worse.  OK.  No swimming and no heavy lifting in the meantime, no reaching out to side with my left arm.  Was hoping to start swimming, but I guess I'm OK with those, except I'll be inconveniencing others on heavy items I need to lift. 

So what brought this on, doc?  Really doesn't know.  Either some type of infection or the mulch-lifting/spreading all day are both plausible.

Friday:  4
Worked in Providence today.  Got out early (3pm) and headed for Tillinghast Preserve.  Very, very stiff.  Wanted to quit after 1/4 mile and walk back.  Coaxed myself into continuing and finishing my longest run in two weeks.  Not painful, but rather sore and not smooth.  Ugh.  Filled my run with negative thoughts, such as will I die (well, yes, of course, but not likely from this), and are my running days over (this is not healthy contemplation).
Like my body, my running watch charger is broken, as in broken
into two pieces.  I improvised to hold the electrodes in place
with vice-grips, and it worked!  Replacement charger only $12 on
Amazon, so my 5-year old Garmin Fenix 2 lives on a bit longer.

Saturday:  4
Very stiff in the morning, so opted to skip running and work outside on yard work instead.  Painful to sit down and stand up, and makes a lot of creaking noises when I do so.  Am I 54 or 94?  By afternoon, I felt much better and went to Woody Hill to run a mix of single-track and dirt roads.  Super slow pace.  Not as good as Wednesday's Fun Run, but much better than yesterday.  3 highlights:

  1. Turtle sighting just before starting my run.
  2. Mountain laurel in full bloom, especially near Swamp Bypass Trail I built about five years ago.
  3. No human sightings!


It turns out my car key does NOT start my mower.  Go figure.
Can I blame this ineptitude on my latest ailment?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

Sunday:  0
Had planned to bike to Mystic Y with Mikey to watch swim start at Mystic Tri, but it was raining, so we bagged it.  Ended up driving there and watching part of it, and in a twist of irony, the swim was cancelled and people were saying this format run-bike-run would have been up my alley. 

Weekly mileage:  [not sure why I bother writing this anymore]  15

Weekly synopsis:  A second straight not-very-good week.  The lab tests came back negative for Lyme, Babesiosis, and Anaplasmosis.  Now that I finished the full Doxycycline regimen and I still feel like crap, what is next?  The next round of lab tests came back with only one problem area:  inflammation off the charts (C-reactive protein should be between 0 and 10; mine is 48).  Now what do we do with that?  Call to the doc on Monday morning and go from there.

Weekly highlight:  The Fun Run.

Weekly lowlight:  Everything else.



1 comment:

  1. Well that sucks. I'm sorry the doxy didn't work. I was hoping that it would. CRP not a thing you want to over achieve on and in my experience (I'm 7x over the legal limit) it really messes with your endurance and intensifies pain. And the mental anguish, I totally understand where that goes.

    I'm sorry this is happening. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete