Saturday, June 8, 2019

Cranmore Mountain Race



Eight days after Wachusett Mountain Race, it was time to toe the line again.  After a week of lackluster running and aches (I know, excuses, excuses, ...), I wasn't feeling ready.  However, I definitely had some positive vibes pre-race, especially from how Cranmore veterans Steve Brightman and Leslie O'Dell described it and it seemed it would be a good fit for me.  I had stayed in nearby Jackson the night before, and got a decent sleep, showered, stretched, and picked through the hotel's free but mediocre breakfast assortment.  Ready to go.

Ten minute drive to Cranmore, and then a 1.5 mile warmup, where I ran into Maine Jeff Walker and ran and caught up with him for a minutes before race start.  I really still have no idea as to strategy for lining up or pace during these mountain races.  I started several rows back, and was relieved to hear from Leslie that the course was very well marked.  Obviously, the first loop (of two) wouldn't be an issue, but by the second loop I could very well be running alone in parts.
Looking up the mountain pre-race.
It would be foggy at the top for sure.


Loop 1 - Up:  The gun went off, and we start uphill right away, crossing a timing mat, and then entering a short single-track section.  I ran with Maine Jeff Walker for about 1/4 mile, before he pulled away for good with his mountain climbing prowess.  The first major ski-slope climb is 3/8 mile long with a 20% grade (Strava segment "false hope").  I power-hiked this and got passed by about 2-3 runner/hikers.  After that, we get a slight respite before the pain began.  Koessler Climb is only 0.2 miles long, but with a 400' elevation gain, has an average 37% grade with a maximum 53% pitch.  My calves were just screaming going up this section, which is just straight up a black-diamond ski trail.  At the top of the climb, Leslie is right behind me and after a short laugh that Furball is not with us, she advises we're pretty much at the top now.  Sure enough, while there's a short uphill single-track section here, it's completely runnable and the summit is in view.
Near the top of Koessler Climb,
with Leslie on my heels
(Really cool that these race pics are provided free!)

Single-track just before the summit

Loop 1 - Down:  Immediately after going over the rocky summit, you're led onto a twisty steep single-track down.  A half-mile forested single-track with an average -20% grade!  The obstacles included not only many stumps (it looked like the trail had just recently been cut) but also a number of runners themselves, as many runners faster than me on the ascent were now in my way on the descent.  Most of the runners were very gracious and just gave me way so as not to break my stride, and a couple that I came up on quickly I just yelled out "On your left" as I went by.  This part was an absolutely blast.  I know that Leslie was right behind me as I heard some of the course marshals or locals yell out her name.  Looking back on stats, I guess I done good on this trail as for the 73 runners that got on the new Strava segment "silky single @ Cranmore Mountain Race", I was 4th (the three ahead of me placed 1st, 3rd, and 5th overall).
Top of the mountain

Just before the single-track down

After the single-track, you're deposited into a ski slope that you traverse diagonally across.  There were streams running through it, and it was absolute mud, like ankle deep.  I think I temporarily slowed the pace and lifted my legs higher to hopefully avoid going down here.  I slipped and slid a few times, but stayed upright.  By the time you exit the ski slopes, you are very close to the start/finish line and start of loop 2.  The speaker system was very loud and I was enjoying hearing the runners ahead of me being called out, along with their hometown and lap 1 split.

Loop 2 - Up:  Not being a multiple loop fan, I had feared that starting the second loop would be a real mental challenge for me.  Surprisingly it wasn't.  I'm not sure if that's because it came up so quickly, or because I had already psyched myself out.  From the loud speaker announcements, I now knew Maine Jeff Walker was a good two minutes ahead of me, and Leslie was about 30 seconds behind me.  At any rate, the pack had really thinned out and I saw very few runners in front on me now, even on the ski slope climbs.  I passed two runners on the uphill, and got passed by one CMS runner in blue.  Whew, the uphill climbing is done!
Short and fun rock scramble at the top
By the 2nd loop, the fog was really socked in

Loop 2 - Down:  The good news is there are less runners congesting the single-track down, but the bad news is my legs are trashed!  I quickly caught and passed back the blue CMS runner that had passed me uphill, and then passed a few more.  I feel like some of the runners I passed might have still been on their first lap.  Is that possible?  Slid again in the muddy section, but no falls.  I gave it a good effort coming into the finish line, but was really completely wiped out.

Final results:  1:01:39, 19th overall of 190 finishers (exactly 90th percentile).  5th out of 37 in age group.

This was definitely both a very challenging and fun run.  I had been wanting to try this race for years, and it finally fit in my schedule.  Post-race I caught up with a few runners, and even introduced myself to a fellow RI'er (Chris Bessin).  With the post-race festivities and award ceremony being an hour and a half later in another location and having a 4+ hour drive ahead of me, I opted to skip that.  I was walking back to my car with the intention of at least coming back for a bagel and introducing myself to Paul Kirsch, but the no-see-um flies biting me and hiding in the mud on my legs was enough.  Got in the car and headed south.  By the time I got to Rochester, NH, my legs were pretty cramped up.  Enjoyed a hot shower at the YMCA there and a change into clean clothes.  I tried my best to clean up the mud and grime I left behind in their shower stalls!

Signs of a fun trail race!


Great race!  A lot of fun, free race pictures, well marked, and extremely well organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment