Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Grills Trail Race 2022

Westerly, RI
Saturday, October 29, 2022

This was the 2nd annual Grills Trail Race.  I put a lot of time and energy into creating and building this trail race, as did a number of other volunteers, and I'm just thrilled to see it come to fruition!  We received unanimous support from everyone in both the Westerly Land Trust and Hopkinton Land Trust to host on their properties, and we sold out both years to date!  Last year we limited to 75 runners due to parking constraints, and this year we parked tighter and raised capacity to 100, and sold out again.

Race start:  After my initial bungle of not assigning anyone to start the race, I started it myself with the speaker and siren, tossed the device aside, and under sunny skies and temps in the high 40s, we were off and running!  
Steve Brightman leading out the pack at start;
I'm on far right next to Chris
(Pic by Jana)

The first mile was our fastest by far (6:04).  This mile is a slight downhill to and along the Pawcatuck River, almost entirely on fast and flat double-track.  Chris and a tall guy I didn't know at the time (Brandon) took out the lead, and then there were several of us in a pack, with Steve Brightman just ahead of me, and Dave and Nick right around me.   We came upon Matthew working the course split one mile in, with 10K runners heading straight and 10-Milers turning hard right to go to the Polly Coon bridge, where they would cross the Pawcatuck River into Hopkinton.
Towards the end of Mile 1, just before the course split,
with Dave and Nick behind me
(Screen grab from Seth's excellent video:  link here  )

I saw Chris and Brandon continue straight onto the 10K course, and then just a moment later Brandon turned around and headed towards the bridge (10-Mile).  Steve Brightman went next across the bridge.  I was just behind him, with Nick, Dave, Bob Jackman, and others on our heels.

Hopkinton:  Getting onto and off the Polly Coon aluminum bridge is difficult dodging the overlapping bars that are there to deter motorcycles crossing.  I followed Brandon and Steve on the Tomaquag Trail climb.  In the first technical section, Brandon slowed down and Steve went right past him.  (or left past him, but you know what I mean)  Hmm.  Made a split second decision to go with him, and passed Brandon as well.  Followed Steve the rest of the way up the first hill, but then on the descent I was surprised when he slowed on technical sections as well.  Downhill running is my forte, so I made the bold decision to pass Steve, even mentioning to him as I went by that he would likely repass me.  

In the remaining 1/2 mile of technical trail, as I surmised, I did not get passed.  And then after we crossed the Tomaquag Brook Bridge onto two miles of very flat non-technical trails, I figured any minute I would get repassed by both of them.  I did get repassed, but only by Brandon, not Steve, and not right away, but rather at the very end of the 2-mile flat loop.  
Mile 4, in Hopkinton, just before
re-crossing the Tomaquag Brook bridge
(Photo by Geoff Sewall)


I followed Brandon on the same Tomaquag Trail back to Westerly.  I tried to push and stay in his footsteps and I noticed only then that he was wearing road shoes and occasionally slipping on the leaf-covered ascent.  On the final descent before crossing the bridge back into Westerly, I once again went for it and passed Brandon to re-take the lead, knowing full well that this would be short lived.
Mile 5:  Returning from Hopkinton back
into Westerly now, I'm just ahead of
Brandon for the final time
(Screen grab from Seth's video)
Crossing the Pawcatuck River (into Westerly)
on the Polly Coon Bridge
(from Seth's video)

2nd half:  Sure enough, not long after getting off the bridge on the Westerly side and onto double-track, Brandon retook the lead again.  I was just steps behind him as we went through the water stop and quickly grabbed a cup of water, but then he pulled away and by another mile in he was out of my sight.
Following Brandon into water stop
(Photo from Justin P)

I was soon running on my favorite Grills trail, the yellow trail along the Pawcatuck River.  I came up on a mountain biker and figured he was the trailer for the 10K race.  Sure enough, as I called out to him and he got off the trail, I saw several 10K back-of-the-pack runners.  The next couple of miles were uneventful.  I passed a few more 10K runners, all who yielded as I yelled out "On your left!".
Mile 6:  Heading uphill on the white trail
(from Seth's video)


At mile 7, we go past the historic Larson foundation (dating to the 1660s), and then enter the racetrack trail.  This is a 1/2 mile OAB trail to the "race track" (an oval dirt track previously and unfortunately sometimes still used for motorcycle racing).  This is an unmarked trail, but I'm glad we incorporated it into the course as it allows a check as to where your competition is at this stage, with three miles to go.  As I entered the 1/8 mile long race track, I noticed Brandon was still in the race track, with my guess of him being 100 meters ahead of me.  This gave me encouragement.  I left the racetrack and was on my way back when I encountered Steve Brightman, giving me an indication that he was a little over a minute behind me.  Could I hold him off for the next three miles?  Nick was just behind him, and a little ways back was Bob Jackman.  

Heading up the steep red trail on the south side of Big Hill, I could see Brandon again ahead of me, but my thoughts turned to how good of an uphill runner Steve Brightman is and how poor I am at the same.  After "summiting" the mighty Big Hill, I saw a couple of volunteers at the top who had brought chairs and were cheering for runners, and then we started the steep descent back down.  There were two 10K runners who had cautiously slowed to a walk on this steep section laced with loose rocks.  I yelled out to both of them as I came recklessly bombing down the trail, and fortunately they gave way quickly.
Beautiful views off the summit of Big Hill,
as Brandon (leader) goes past a couple of volunteers
at a checkpoint

Dropping down a tough section off the back of Big Hill
(this and above frame from Seth's video)

Two more miles to go, and none of it hilly or technical, so nothing to my advantage.  I thought I had pushed hard here a year ago when I was chasing Adrian Massie, but this year I ran these two miles 20 seconds faster than last year.

Final results:  1:09:05.  2nd overall of 37 (there were an additional 52 in the 10K version).  1st in age group.  Full results here.

I finished over a minute faster than last year, and over a minute faster than Steve Brightman in 3rd place.  I was just 17 seconds behind the overall winner Brandon.  I was really happy with my own finish, but even more pleased to see the success of this race and the trail vibe.  With two years of a sellout race, I think this race should be well established going forward into the 3rd year next year.  We just need to figure out how to solve some of the parking constraints, and it could be a premier trail race for this region, as there are really so few trail races around here of 10 miles of more that are entirely on trail and with very little overlap.
Write-up from Westerly Sun

Honey for awards,
courtesy of Kevin Murphy (and his bees)
(Pic here and below from Jana)

This year pizza delivery.  A downside is that the finishing
times vary wildly, so some get it hot and some get it cold.
Next year's goal is to have a pizza truck onsite.

Team WTAC today.  Thankful for all the runners and volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment