Monday, November 7, 2022

Weekly Log 24-Oct to 30-Oct-2022: End of the Streak

Monday:  5
Easy run at Ninigret on roads and soggy fields.  With Matthew and Brady.
Finished a project today to replace our 24-year old, rusty ...


shallow sink with a ...

... more modern and 50% deeper sink, and much more
efficient faucet.



It didn't dawn on me, but as Jana correctly surmised,
the new sink wouldn't fit with the old higher pipes.  Oh well,
they were old, dirty, and subject to periodic leaks anyway.


Since the old pipes were too high up and in the way of
the depth of the new sink, this also necessitated the cutting,
replacing, and cementing of all new PVC pipes and traps.
---
In full disclosure, this took me several trips to Home Depot
to get the right pieces and probably 2-3 times the amount of
time a plumber would have done this, but I'm retired and it
was a sense of accomplishment to get this done.


Tuesday:  2 walk, 6 ride

That will do it.  The running streak ended today.  Was away all day in the New Haven area.  Got back after dark and in the rain.  Between the weather, being tired, and no specific training or goal races on the horizon, just didn't have interest in getting in "junk miles" just to keep the streak alive.  I had already intended for the day after Detroit Marathon to be a complete rest day and only ended up running that day because both I was in a new place (Houghton Lake, Michigan) and it was snowing.

This was my longest running streak ever at 154 days (22 weeks).  When I started this streak on May 24, it was back in the spring and back when I had a full-time job, before retiring July 1.  Seems so long ago now.  Did I intend to set a running streak?  Absolutely not.  Would I ever run a streak like this again or try to break it?  Probably not just to set a streak.  Possibly if part of a long training block like this was for the Laugavegur Ultra Marathon and Detroit Marathon.

---

Hamden, Connecticut.  Assisted Pete V today on course measuring and learned a great deal in the process.  Set up and measured a required calibration course in Hamden on a quiet bike path before going to very busy nearby downtown New Haven to measure the New Haven 5K as part of a recertification process.
Setting up a 1000' calibration course on the Farmington Canal
Rail Trail


Wednesday:  11
AM:  Westerly, RI.  8-mile trail run in light run at Wahaneeta and Woody, with Brady.  Lots of puddles to frolic in!

PM:  Westerly, RI.  3-mile run, snip, and flag with Marc at Grills.  Also raked the steep descent down from Big Hill to remove small rocks as best we could.


Thursday:  12
AM:  Charlestown, RI.  Burlingame 10-miler with Brady.  Vin Gormley, plus Burlingame Trail.  Mid-run jump off the docks and dunk in Watchaug Pond.

PM:  Westerly, RI.  Solo work at Grills.  Raked the ruts at the one stream crossing on the dirt road, and flagged the section out to the race track.

Friday:  5
AM:  Hopkinton, RI.  Shorty with Brady on the Hopkinton loop portion of course.  Flat and easy shake-out pre-race, with some strides at finish.

PM:  Westerly, RI.  Back at Grills marking.  Again.  For the penultimate time.  This time 4 of us (Bob S, Justin P, Kevin M, and me) met up for a divide and conquer strategy.  Worked well.  As my grandmother used to say, "Many hands make light work.".  I think I got that right.

Saturday:  12
Westerly, RI.  Grills Trail Race!  Separate write-up to follow.

Sunday:  10
Westerly, RI.  Tried to get up and get going quietly so as not to wake anyone looking to sleep in on a chilly Sunday morning (32°F at start).  No dice.  I was getting my running watch when Brady ran up to me, licking my face and huddling very close to me to make sure I knew wherever I was going running, he wanted to come to.  OK, fine.  Ten mile run from the house, mostly on roads, but with a beach section as well.  Ran with a RWYC group for about 2-3 miles into Watch Hill, then headed down to East Beach, where Brady ran right into the ocean.  Of course he did!  By then, the sun was out, the wind was calm, and the temps had risen into the 40s.  Beautiful fall weather!

Weekly mileage:  55 run, 2 walk, 6 ride

Weekly synopsis:  Another great running week!  And no regrets about the end of the streak.  Since I'm past the marathon now with no other major running races on the schedule (I've got to fix that, but it's a separate topic), it seemed artificial to extend the streak any further.

Weekly highlight:  The Grills Trail Race!  A success on all fronts.

Weekly lowlight:  None.  No issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment