Monday, November 7, 2022

Weekly Log 31-Oct to 6-Nov-2022: Big Mileage, but no Goal Races

Monday:  12
Exeter, RI.  Halloween morning at Arcadia with Brady.  Classic loop, plus the River Trail from Breakheart Pond to Frosty Hollow Pond.
Final run in my Saucony Peregrine 12s.
I guess I can't complain about getting 371
miles out of them.  I do find with so many of
my shoes lately that the uppers tear before
the rest of the shoe wears out.

Halloween night.  The annual carving
of the pumpkin.


Tuesday:  1 walk, 12 run
Westerly, RI.  CCC trail maintenance at Dr. Lewis Pond Preserve and Winnapaug Farm Preserve.

Coventry, RI.  Tough trail run with Matthew at Parker Woodland Preserve.  Once we got there, I figured this was a first and last visit due to the long list of rules, including but not limited to, No Dogs and No "Jogging".  Much tougher than I expected.  Trails were very technical, and wet leaves in a light rain didn't help matters.  This one beat me up pretty good.

Wednesday:  9
Westerly, RI.  Woody Hill morning run with Brady.  Legs still sore from yesterday's tough run, but the trails were easier today and the weather was better.

Thursday:  10
Westerly, RI.  Plan was to run a workout simulating 5K pace I'll shoot for at next weekend's USATF-NE 5K championship.  That plan fell on the wayside when I woke up to very tight legs.  Will try again tomorrow; hopefully no excuses then!

Ran the Grills 10-mile race course with Brady (except that I started/finished in Hopkinton).  Picked up 11 remaining flags on the course, which I think is pretty good considering that we put down about 1,000 flags and we know they were hard to see on Saturday in certain places between the sun and leaf cover.

Friday:  10
Charlestown, RI.  Solo late morning run at West Beach.  After a 3-mile warm-up, I ran 3 x 1K @ target 5K pace, which should be about 5:38/mile based upon my PR of 17:32.  Actual splits:  3:28, 3:25, 3:31 (paces 5:35, 5:31, 5:36).  Will be interesting to see how this work's out at next weekend's USATF-NE 5K championships.

As today was a very warm and sunny 67°F, and I was already in the beach area, I ran and jumped into the ocean.  I came out to surprising applause from an older couple.  I told them I didn't realize anyone was watching.  The water was not really very cold.

Saturday:  10 run, 2 walk
AM:  Hopkinton, RI.  Well attended WTAC group run on dirt roads from Camp Yawgoog to Route 49 in Voluntown.  10 humans, 1 canine (Brady).

PM:  Westerly, RI.  "Wine in the Woods" event at WLT's Wahaneeta Preserve.  Short walk, good food.

Sunday:  16
Charlestown, RI.  Trail / road loop with Matthew and Brady, incorporating Carter Preserve, a section of Carolina North, and most of Carolina South.  65°F at start and 72° at finish.  92% humidity.  In November.  Ugh.  For those of you runners that have said to me, "Bring it on", well, I just have a very different opinion than you.  And I feel for those poor souls running NYC Marathon today.  Judging from some of the times and large pace slowdowns I saw, I'm guessing they weren't saying "Bring it on" either.  So glad I got my fall marathon in three weeks ago when the starting temp was 39°.

Weekly mileage:  79 run, 3 walk

Weekly synopsis:  My mileage was unintentionally pretty high, and I feel good.  But I'm also feeling kind of lost without a goal race on the horizon.  I've written out a spreadsheet of potential 2023 races, but it's a lengthy list and I need to narrow it down and make it real.

Weekly highlight:  Arcadia 12-miler.  Fun, quiet, good weather.

Weekly lowlight:  Parker Woodland run.  Just really beat me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment