Monday, November 14, 2022

Weekly Log 7-Nov to 13-Nov-2022: Down Week

Monday:  0
Intentional planned day off.  After a near 80-mile week last week (OK, only 79.2 miles) and with no big races on the docket, I thought I'd give the legs a break.

Tuesday:  1 walk, 10 run
AM:  Westerly, RI.  CCC assignment this week was leading a team repainting blazes at Grills.

PM:  South Kingstown, RI.  Ten miles solo, mostly on roads, from Wakefield Running Company.  Made up the route as I went along.  Intentionally used several miles of the South County Bike Path, plus the Canonchet Trail, as a base, and the rest I just connected with roads.

It was nice to finally have cooler, crisper, drier weather after several consecutive November days at or above 70°F.  Hopefully that stuff is gone until next spring.  


Spent the afternoon cleaning up a 29-gallon aquarium
that belonged to my late brother.  My sister-in-law let me take it from her
house, and seemed grateful that I would get some use out of it.
---
Tedious work with vinegar, razor blades, and other implements.
But it was a sense of accomplishment for me, as well as 
connecting with Kurt by having something of his.

Wednesday:  10
Groton, CT.  After conducting track club business in New London, it made sense for me to run at Bluff and Haley on the way back.  Brought Brady with me.  He's a great running partner, especially on trails.  Another beautiful fall day with highs in the low 50s and full sunshine.  My kind of running weather.

Parked at the northern end of Poquonnock River Boardwalk and eschewed (mostly) the fire roads for the far less popular single-track trails.  Saw a number of people and dogs on the fire roads; saw exactly zero people on the single-track.

I was about three miles into the run when I took a digger that left me with both hands and both knees scraped and bloodied.  The irony is that this took place on a fire road, not even on a trail!  I just wasn't paying attention, tripped over a root I didn't see and landed on rocks.  Ouch, that hurt!  Pay attention, man.
There are new signs posting about the future
Tri Town Trail, which when finished will be 
14 miles with the southern terminus at Bluff State Park.


Thursday:  4 walk, 5 run
AM:  Westerly, RI.  Led a Westerly Land Trust hike at Grills Preserve.  Group of 18, plus one dog.  Stopped at the highlights (sluiceway, Polly Coon Bridge, Larkin Foundation, Big Hill, Revolutionary War grave, Douglas Park, etc) and explained the history and features.
Nice sunny day at Big Hill


PM:  Westerly, RI.  Pre WTAC board meeting run.  Group of 3.  Fun run with headlamps halfway in once it got dark.

Friday:  8
Charlestown, RI.  Li'l Rhody loop with Justin and Brady.  Pretty gross weather for a mid-November late afternoon:  68°F and humid.

Saturday:  5
Charlestown, RI.  Ninigret easy with Matthew and Brady.  Strides at end.

Sunday:  11
Needham, MA.  USATF-NE 5K Championships, Big Steps 5K.  Separate write-up almost completed, to be published very shortly.

Weekly mileage:  50 run, 5 walk

Weekly synopsis:  Just an OK week.  Low mileage.  As I think I mentioned before, I feel I'm floundering a bit with no set goals.  I need to set my initial 2023 schedule, and typically do that in the days preceding the new year, but may need to do that even earlier than end of this year just so I can focus and have something to work towards.  I know there are runners that can't relate to this, but it's just the competitive nature in me and the way I'm wired.

Weekly highlight:  Probably the SK/Narragansett run.  Enjoyable on its own merits, enhanced by memories of running in the town I grew up in.

Weekly lowlight:  The USATF-NE 5K Championships, Big Steps 5K run.  No matter how I analyze this (and believe me, I have!), this just was not a great race for me.  They can't all be, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment