Sunday, September 30, 2018

Ocean State XC 2018

Goddard State Park
Warwick, RI
Saturday, September 22, 2018

This was my 2nd time running this race, both times with Tommy 5K.  In 2016, Mikey had joined in, but unfortunately he is on the disabled list of late.  With Matthew on a rare weekend home from UNH, we drove up together as we'd be spending much of the day there.  Met up with Tom for a warmup, and it was time to go.

A small field of about 50 runners toed the line, and we all got a front row position as we could spread out on the starting line.
Toeing the line with Tommy.
(Pic courtesy of Jana)
At the start:  this is the closest I would be to Tom all race.
Note Eric Winn (9:00 in picture) running barefoot.
About 1/2 mile in.
(Pic courtesy of Shara)
Most of the first mile is on grass and double-track gravel, and you duck into the woods on a manicured trail just before the end of the mile.  Someone called out "5:49" as I went by the mile.  My watch showed 6:08 for the first mile, but looking on Strava, I think the 5:49 was more accurate, as Mile 1 on my GPS was much further past the Mile 1 marker on a certified course.

While my actual Mile 1 time really means little, it just helps gives a little credence in my head why after Mile 1, I was just dead for the rest of the race.  (i.e., my first mile was probably a little too fast in retrospect, still recovering and rebuilding)
About a mile in.
(Pic courtesy of Jana)
(Pic courtesy of Shara)
For the rest of the race, it was a battle just to keep pushing it.  On the way back on the trails, I was annoyed at how many high school runners were running or walking on the course, but not nearly as annoyed at the next situation:

The Collision:  Just after two miles and before you head downhill towards the water, I saw a coach ahead of me crossing the trail I was running on, but yet seemingly oblivious that a race was going on!  OK, I can sort of deal with him as he's just one person in the middle of the course, and dodged him to his left and went past.  HOWEVER, he's leading his whole squad of high school girls walking across the course!  I cannot dodge the wall of girls now blocking the entire course.  They're chatting and looking at their phones, but not at me.  Since I've just climbed a hill and am breathing like a dinosaur racing towards them, I cannot muster up "Excuse me, could you please give me some room" or what I'm really thinking, "GET THE $#@% OFF THE COURSE!".

I crash into one girl, who looks at me like "How could I possibly do this?".  This wakes up the rest of her tuned out team, but it's just much too late now as there are about twenty of them blocking the course.  I hit a second girl and the impact is not as much as the first girl, as they're aware of me now and trying futilely to get out of my way.  The third girl that I hit is more of a graze off of her shoulder.  This has definitely affected my race, both in terms on the time I've lost slowing, dodging, crashing, picking up again, etc., as well as I am just fuming mad now about them, but more about their male coach leading them right onto and blocking the course.  Argh.

Final turn, heading to the long finishing chute.
Increasing the stride and pace, final approach.
(Pic courtesy of Shara)
I try to finish as strong as I can, but it's a combination of feeling dead and angry as I make it to the finish line.  On a positive note, I thought I saw the clock ticking away 19:5x, and was bummed not to break 20-minutes, until I saw the seconds go to zero and the clock is still showing "19:xx" and not "20:xx".  Great, it obviously must have been "18:5x" that I was seeing with my poor distance vision.

I had no idea they were there, but looking at this pic now,
I am surprised and grateful to see the support the Westerly High School is
giving me as I finish up.

Final results:  19:06, 9th overall, average 6:09 pace.  Full results here.

My time two years ago here was 18:33, so 33 seconds off as I'm recovering and building from my injury is pretty decent in my books.  I cooled down with Tom and Shara for a bit, but 6 full miles with Matthew.  I had fun watching the Westerly High School teams compete next, and when Colby asked me if I would be staying to watch his race, I was tickled pink and happy to tell him "of course!".
Plaque for my efforts.
I never expect anything for awards, and
certainly don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth,
but not sure what to do with plaques.

The highlight of the day for me was watching Katelyn Tuohy of NY break not only the course record there, but take down the all-time national high school women's XC 5K, right here in RI!  16:06!  She would’ve beaten every man out there except the top guy if she had run in the men's race, and she had the fastest first mile time of anyone at 4:56.  Amazing to watch her fly.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, Jeff! Although a small race, Ocean State XC is becoming one of my favorites. Hope you'll head back with me in future years.

    ReplyDelete